Followers

Wednesday 1 April 2020

Shopping and moral dilemmas

Thank you for comments and welcome to a new reader, Glorious Needlework and Life (from Canada - how marvellous to live in a place where you can pick up deer antlers in a forest!  We do of course have deer here, but I've never seen discarded antlers).

I've been rethinking our shopping.....not that we need much now, it's amazing how this crisis is making us all realise we can't waste anything, and must use up what we already have.  I did initially think we should get our shopping delivered, as both of us have medical conditions meaning we're at risk if we get the virus.  Neither of us is in the 'high risk, vulnerable' category, but I have 3 conditions, husband 2, that put us at a higher risk of being seriously ill if we do come down with it.....husband's heart failure means he's likely to be very ill indeed.  However, the supermarkets now seem to be keeping the delivery slots for those in the high risk category, and rightly so.  We have a delivery booked for the end of next week, and that will be the last one we have.

The click and collect shop wasn't ideal, in terms of what shopping we got.  A quarter of the stuff I ordered was completely out of stock, with nothing offered in substitution.  About another 8 or 10 items were substituted....mostly with things that I wouldn't choose myself.  Eg, I'd ordered 15 free range eggs - we use a lot of eggs and I only ever buy free range, have done for years, they were subbed with 10 caged hens eggs.  I always get smoked bacon, good quality rashers, not the cheap water-filled ones....we got given unsmoked cheap water-filled ones.  There were other subs that I would never have picked up.  I know I could have refused the subs, but didn't because I felt in the current crisis I should just be grateful to have anything at all.

So in future we will be going shopping ourselves, possibly once every 10 days or so, that way if there's something out of stock, I can at least choose an acceptable alternative (or go without!).  I just feel I should be leaving the deliveries for the really vulnerable, or people who can't get out to get their shopping.  A bonus as far as I'm concerned is that shops are now saying 1 person, 1 trolley.....which means husband (as he's the more vulnerable one) will be staying in the car, whilst I do the shopping on my own.  Seeing as I rarely get to go shopping on my own, it'll be quite nice!

Another concern I have, a moral one really, is to do with online shopping for what would be classed as non-essential items.  Just as all this virus stuff started, I was beginning to think about buying more plants and pots for the front garden.  Now of course the garden centres are all closed (isn't it terrible that millions of pounds worth of plants are going to have to be binned by the garden centres?).  Whilst we're all on lockdown, now would be an ideal time to get stuck into the gardening, and I do want to get on with it to make our front garden as nice as possible this year, and I also want lots of pots to break up all the concrete husband is laying.  I know I could order plants and pots to be delivered....but that means somebody has to pick and pack them, someone else has to deliver them, so I'd be putting others at risk as well as myself.  It's a bit of a dilemma.  I've looked at things online but not put in an order, I probably won't.  In theory I could pick up some plants and pots from the supermarket, but again that pricks my conscience a bit, it's not really essential stuff.

What would you do?

14 comments:

  1. I think it's such a waste that garden centres are leaving all their stock to just either die or be dumped. Surely they could just leave them out to be picked up for free?? I'm currently waiting for a delivery of paint and wallpaper from Homebase as whilst husband is furloughed from his job, we're catching up on jobs. I think the businesses will be glad of the custom and are taking the necessary precautions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. There's a few, definitely non-essential, items that I'd like to get, but like you, I worry about people having to pack and deliver them. But then, I think, at least they'd still have a job. It's a real dilemma, and on balance, I think I won't be ordering anything to be delivered if I can help it. People's health and lives are more important than the bits I want. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our local garden center delivers, you pay online and it gets left at your doorstep, no physical contact. She is very greatful for the business.
    I would not go out to the shops to buy non essential goods, but if i am out for food, i don't see the problem in putting some in the trolley.
    It's very difficult times we are living in.
    I hope you and your husband continue to avoid the virus

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would go for it, to be honest. It's not that there's a shortage of these things, after all.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm in the supermarket anyway I don't see the problem in picking up other items - my growing children will need some Summery clothes at some point - a few tshirts and new pants (underwear) from the supermarket are not essentials to survive but are very good to have! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got in a bit of trouble yesterday when in a petstore(I hadn't been shopping for exactly 2 weeks).I put dog food in the trolley for my 4 dogs.I'm desperately trying to get them through this difficult time as they are used to running free each day and they are not happy I picked up an activity game and put it in the trolley.A security man walked towards me and said " you can't come in here buying toys,only essential food".I heard myself saying "this is not a toy"I explained that I had 4 rescue dogs used to lots of outdoor exercise and they were going crazy.He repeated and called for an assistant.I was then trying to tell her what I'd done and he walked away - by then I was crying- it all had "come to a head" I stood there in my homemade mask crying.She said " it's ok he doesn't understand" and allowed me to buy it.I had chosen not to buy more than 12_cans of food so as not to be greedy too even though I need more more my 4 dogs and so have to return next week.My teddy I d disc has broken but I had decided not to put it on my list at the moment as it may be classed as non essential x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Flis I do feel for you. There are 2 big chain pet stores close together on an out of town retail park in our town, the first one I went in the other day I was told I could only buy essential food, not toys or treats (I was trying to buy the antler). When I asked why, the young assistant said 'because everybody touches everything'....what, they don't touch the essential food then? So I left and went in the other store, which had no such restrictions. You can order ID discs online, we get several at a time for Betty as she tends to lose them often. They're essential anyway, dogs have to have ID tags on when out in public by law.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry to hear that news too. In my local Tesco yesterday, although it was very organised to actually get in, etc, nowhere was off limits once in - clothes, homeware, pet aisle, etc. I get my hay and animal feed from a little store on an industrial estate - they were limiting items to 2 per customer - whether that be 2 tiny bags of hay or 2 large vacuum packed bales.

      Delete
    3. What a horrible experience for you. At least the assistant seemed to have some common sense. I hope it didn't upset you too much. You did nothing wrong, it was the stupid security man who was in the wrong. xx

      Delete
  7. Thank you-I went in with gloves but to be honest I could just have been spreading a virus around around I suppose.When I paid which I did with debit card where usually I pay cash I was unsure of the procedure-the friendly assistant said "I'll stand back,you bring the food to the desk,you step back,I'll ring it through,you come forwards etc etc-I got disoriented with it all and stumbled backwards into the barrier-it was a bit like being taught salsa years ago by the dance teacher-I thanked her and smiled at the "bouncer"and left.I was glad to get back home x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sooze - I went shopping tonight - it is much quieter and calmer near to when they close - it is however an exhausting experience now having to clean down the trolley and then dodging around people whilst looking to see what is on the shelves and then check to see if they have what you want. We are only going for fresh veg and milk etc and if some of the items I couldn't buy before have come back into stock I add them to my trolley. I don't think I will ever see a bag of flour again though - there hasn't been any for weeks now up here.
    Sainsbury's had no restrictions in our store for what you could buy but I don't think this is true for all of them as my sister could not get a birthday card at hers as the section was covered over.
    The cashier did mention though that a lot of food had been dumped at the local tip before they shut down - people have obviously bought too much - criminal.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS - loved your story of the neighbours setting fire to their gates - I know it is not really funny but it did make me smile. I think more people will start to have bonfires in the warmer weather and the fly tipping will certainly increase as people want to dispose of their garden waste too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With regard to purchasing garden things (plants, pots, etc) online, think of it this way: you are supporting a business which might go out of business if you don't. Those people who are picking and delivering your order will get paid for their work.

    I'm surprised to hear that your garden shops are closed. Here in British Columbia, Canada, garden centres have been declared "essential" (along with grocery stores, pharmacies, and a whole list of others).

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't get me started re garden centres being closed. They say gardening is good for mental health one minute and close the garden centres the next!

    Sorry for rant!

    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.