Followers

Friday 5 May 2023

This is how it goes nowadays

 A strip of sealant (the actual strip you can buy as a length, not a tube of stuff) underneath the shower fitting in our bathroom had perished, it was letting in water and looked really unsightly, husband knew about it and I'd been asking him for ages (literally weeks) to do something about it.  It wasn't a big job, the piece was only about 18" long and the job would only have taken around an hour or 2.  However, it's taken husband nearly a week (5 days to be precise) to do it.  This is how it's gone......The first day it took most of the day for him to search in his shed and garage for the necessary tools and things he needed, he'd been given a sealant strip by a builder neighbour.  The next day he started to remove the old perished strip, clean the area down, sand or scrape off the sticky remains, clean it down again - this actually took a couple of days as during the cleaning down process, he had to go out to the shed to get something else he needed (he never, and I do mean never, remembers to collect together ALL of the necessary tools and supplies in one go at the start of a job - his lifelong disorganised mind due to the dyslexia).  On the way back from the shed, he decided to make himself a cuppa, took it into the lounge to drink it and ended up spending the rest of the day dozing in front of the TV and/or playing on his computer, the job forgotten.  He didn't remember the next day either.  The day after that (day 4) I reminded him - to be fair, I'd also forgotten about it the previous day, but that was because I was busy all day and wasn't actually aware that he hadn't finished the job.  He ummed and ahhed about it and said yes he'd finish it off.....but it didn't get done that day.  So on day 5 I asked him to please get on and finish it that day, which he finally did.

I only ever ask him nowadays to do small jobs that I know he is very capable of doing, but even they take him so much longer than they used to, mainly because of his disorganisation and forgetfulness, but also because he's increasingly cackhanded and clumsy.  And before anyone starts accusing me of complaining and being unfair - I'm not at all, I'm very aware of his limitations due to his health and dyslexia.  I'm merely saying this is how it is nowadays - for everything.

We had some unpleasant news yesterday - a letter stating our rent is going up by quite a substantial amount, 5 or 6 times more than it's ever gone up before.  We're going to CAB next week, to get some advice.  It just feels like something else kicking us in the teeth.  We've decided that rather than wait, holding out for a social housing bungalow, we'd do better to consider a house - each week there are only 1 or 2 bungalows available on the Council's housing list, some weeks none at all, whereas there are always half a dozen or more houses (even more flats, but we're both adamant we don't want a flat, for several very good reasons).  Our main priorities are living close to amenities (mainly a GP and shops), either in walking distance or on a bus route.  And we do really need a downstairs toilet, and an enclosed garden for Betty (and for our sanity!).  We can both manage the stairs at the moment, but that may change in time, we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.  If we move to a house, it may be possible to do a transfer or mutual exchange to a bungalow in the future.

The main thing that's not in our favour is the relatively short period of time we've been on the waiting list - anyone with medical issues such as ours who has been on the waiting list for longer, trumps us.  I've not yet seen a property we like where our ranking has been less than 30 (meaning 29 people will be considered before us), for most properties our ranking has been well over 50.  Still, all I can do is keep looking each week, and widening our scope to include houses, not just bungalows, and areas away from where we would prefer.

So today is husband's brain scan, it's not until 5 pm so we have all day to wait.  Must keep busy!  Although it's not the actual scan itself that's the worrying thing (it's just a scan, he's had enough of them before, albeit not a brain scan), it's the waiting for results.  At least the week after next my sister and friend will be here with us for a week, I'm looking forward to that enormously.

4 comments:

  1. Well, supposedly small jobs do take a lot longer than you think they will, but add a man to the mix and that time frame can be any length! But seriously, I know all this adds to your stress. Would it be worth getting a handyman to do various little jobs? Although, I suppose getting your husband to do them keeps him active and away from the TV. Wish I could do the same with mine. He'll say "We must do ..." when what he means is "You must do..." If I wait for him, I'll be pushing up the daisies! Trying for a house might be the best option, if bungalows are in such demand and short supply. Can you bid for more than one property? Waiting for scan results is awful. I just hope the wait isn't too long and the result is good. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the brain scan. I do hope the wait for results isn't too long. I have become very proficient in little DIY jobs simply because I'd wait forever for Tony to do them. You tube is a fabulous resource when I'm unsure of how to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be praying about his scan...I know how worried you must be.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are lucky with your search for social housing. I think your plan to go for a house is a good one as surely you would go up the list for a transfer to a bungalow if either of you had serious mobility issues. I hope the brain scan goes well, I've just had an appointment through for one in two weeks though I think the couple of times my vision has blurred in one eye is more likely linked to the soreness and blurring in the other eye than TIAs. Worrying but good to know one way or another.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.