Followers

Friday 13 September 2024

So that's that, and blanket photos

 Back from our one night trip to the caravan, and it's so good to be home.  It wasn't an unqualified success at the van - except for the gas boiler being serviced and pronounced ok.  Being there this time did, however, confirm for both of us that we no longer want to carry on going to the van, so I guess that counts as a positive thing, we now know for sure.  Several reasons for this - there were even more dogs on site this time, several fellow owners don't just have one dog, they have 2 or even 3, and when one starts barking, it sets all the others off.  Barking dogs make Betty very anxious and unsettled, thus making her whine or even bark as well.  We don't want to keep telling her off or trying to pacify her.  The main road that runs past the site seems to attract motorbikes, which roar up and down the road, even at night - last night was particularly bad, it was like a racetrack.  It's just not a peaceful or relaxing retreat anymore.

And then this morning when we got up, it was absolutely freezing - a very old caravan with no central heating and single glazed windows gets very cold very quickly.  We do have an electric fire in the lounge and a few portable electric oil filled radiators so it did warm up fairly quickly with those on, but gets cold again as soon as they're switched off.  Neither husband nor I cope well with the cold nowadays.

Yesterday, husband apparently made a statement to one of our caravan neighbours that was patently untrue - I didn't hear him, I wasn't present, the neighbour came and spoke to me about it later and I had to smooth things over.  I mentioned to husband that he shouldn't have said it, whereupon he became aggressive - verbally that is, he's never been physically aggressive.  That's his reaction every time I question or pull him up on something - I know why he does it, he knows he's in the wrong and feels guilty, even though he can't or won't admit it, he's unable to accept being in the wrong.

But I am feeling like I'm almost permanently filled with anxiety, I just never know what husband is going to say or do next and it feels like I'm always having to make excuses for him or pour oil on troubled waters.  We've lost a few friends recently, as in them withdrawing from us, they haven't died.  Part of me thinks well if they can't (or don't want to) cope with our troubles, then they're only fairweather friends.  But the other part of me feels decidedly let down and abandoned.

The weather is apparently going to be good for the next week or so - great, it will give us chance to clear away all the spent veggies and flowers and put the garden to bed for the winter.  I'll have lots of empty pots to bring home from the caravan (we'll go there again one more time to drain the water systems and close it down for winter), so I might fill them with Spring bulbs.  I do love Spring flowering bulbs, Spring is my absolute favourite season.

For Donna - a couple of photos of a lap blanket and single bed size blanket I made, they're both in the caravan:-



As you can see, I like colour!  I don't do fancy patterns, I just like the easy, almost monotony of simple crocheting.

7 comments:

  1. At least its fixed in your mind that your caravan days have come to an end.. lovely blankets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the caravan served it's purpose, but sounds like it has now become a bind for you all. Yapping, barking dogs and racing motorbikes doesn't induce relaxation!
    If your friends can't or won't accept and try to understand your problems, then they really are fairweather friends. It's such a shame, though, when you need all the support you can get.
    Your blankets are gorgeous. I love colour, too. I know what you mean about simple crochet. You can just let your hands do the work, leaving your mind to wander. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous blankets! Good that you have made a definite decision about the caravan - it served you well for a good few years, but things change and your circumstances are different now. Otherwise it ends up with you serving the caravan, instead of the other way round! I can understand what you mean about your husband saying things that cause issues, it can be very awkward and you must get really fed up of being the peacekeeping force, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple easy crocheting is fine.
    I've done all sorts of fancy blankets but the one I made at the start of this year was my first striped one, so mindless to do and so warm. Ideal for a quick nap these evenings.
    I had lots of pretty pastel shades left over to use up. As the blanket grew I used up what I had and needed to buy more yarn to finish it. So now I've got new left over yarn, Lol !
    It will never end, just keep going on in a circle ! 😄
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the only sort of crochet I can do too. I made lots of cushion covers and blankets in the past before for some reason crocheting started making me very annoyed. How illogical, but true!!

    It sounds as though your caravan days are over, perhaps let it be known that your van will be coming onto the market in the future. I bet there will be quite a few people interested after all your hard work on it a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a shame your haven is no longer so, but at least you know and have made the decision. Things change, don't they, and you have had some happy times there.

    The blankets are lovely. I'm in the middle of crocheting one that is in a waffle stitch I have never seen before and with the edging worked in with the main part which will make it loads easier at the end. I love having something to do with my hands when I sit down of an evening.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE them! Fun colors and so pretty! You'll be cozy in them this Winter! Thanks for the photos! I know you don't like to post photos but I'm SO glad you did!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.