Followers

Tuesday 10 September 2024

Soups and stashbuster blankets for winter

 Well, husband got the shed and car port sorted yesterday afternoon, I think he realised he'd tried my patience a bit too far...not that I told him so, I didn't.  I do know he can't help a lot of what he does, still frustrating though.

We went to Tesco in the evening, I found I was nearly out of bottled water - I drink a lot of water and the tap water here tastes like mud.  We needed milk too.  I'm glad we went, there were lots of good yellow sticker bargains - 2 packs of tiger rolls and a seed & granary loaf, a pack of Yorkshire ham that husband really likes, all reduced to a quarter of the original price.  I also got 2 large tubs of Greek yogurt, reduced to 39p each - why I don't know as they had long use by dates - 25th Sept!

The weather doesn't look very good for the next few days.....showers forecast every day, and it's considerably cooler.  No heating on yet, but we're both wearing jumpers now.  I've done washing but only put a few bits on the line, so there's less to bring in if - well, when - it starts raining.  The rest has gone on the airer which I've put up in the car port.....now there's room to actually put it.

I gather there's a vote going on in Parliament today regarding the Chancellor's decision to take away the Winter Fuel Allowance from most pensioners....although apparently the decision will go ahead anyway, regardless of voting - I don't understand the ins and outs of it.  Although we've had the WFA in the past, this year we won't be getting it as we're no longer eligible under the new rules.  Fortunately, we don't actually need it (although it's always nice to be given extra funds!) - we certainly won't be in the awful position of having to choose heating or eating.  As I've mentioned before, since we moved house just before last Christmas, this year has been a challenging one financially - moving house is such an expensive business.  We are now back to solvency I'm pleased to say, just in time for the winter expenses.  Giving up the caravan next year - if indeed we do, although it does seem very likely - will save us a considerable amount of money, which we can put to good use AND build up a good savings amount.  Having had to use most of our savings on and since the move, I feel very vulnerable and on edge without that safety net, so building up the savings again will be a priority.

I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to winter (it's my least favourite time of year, as is Christmas), but I'm certainly not dreading it.  At the old place, in view of the very rural area we hardly saw anyone, even our neighbours, over winter, making it quite lonely and isolated and dragging the winter period out.  Here it's not like that, thank goodness.  And now, with our lovely new kitchen, I'm looking forward to making soups and stews and baking things.  I think I might also crochet another blanket - not that we need anymore blankets, we have plenty, but I like crocheting in the winter, I still have a yarn stash, and it's nice to have a lapful of warm wool when it's a bit chilly in the evenings!  I think I'll make a scrappy stashbuster one, I have plenty of odd balls and half balls.


7 comments:

  1. My elderly mum & dad have also lost their WFA. As well as the state pension, my dad also has a very small private pension which they pay tax on. They'd be entitled to all sorts had he not been sensible & took his pension out in the first place! They own their own bungalow so at least that's something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its all looking good for you Sooze albeit minus the winter fuel allowance, we're in the same boat as you, but we're ok. Glad your hubby got things sorted I like to crochet in the winter too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want to open a can of worms by commenting on politics, but taking away the winter fuel allowance does seem like a very un-Labour thing to do. I'm sure it'll come back to bite them!
    Building your savings back will be good. It's nice to know there's a financial cushion available. Hopefully, you won't need it!
    I have too many crocheted blankets, too, but I also have a huge stash of yarn to get through. I always take a lap blanket in the car in winter now, as hubby has to have the windows slightly open, and I get the draught on my legs. I must be getting old! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in the States, we don't have WFA...if it's high, we just have to pay it...so we just try to use less A/C or Heating.
    I use to love to crochet...
    wish you'd show us your creations...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not good when the water coming out of the taps tastes awful is it, ours used to be dreadful when we lived down South. It was much better in Wales and now we are very lucky and it's drinkable straight from the tap. It's a shame you have lost your WFA, sadly my Mum has too. Very un-Labour like of Labour to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish your readers would refrain from giving you advice when they know little of your circumstances. That being said, most of your faithful readers are positive about what you are doing. It is not easy to go through so many changes...as you have...you are also a caregiver at a young age. You are caring and kind, and you just want to live your best life. Keep writing...keep on doing what you are doing...enjoy your new kitchen and new home...maybe the caravan will be a place to sell or NOT...depending on how you feel next year. Perhaps it has served its purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about a safety net. I'd feel uncomfortable without mine and am very thankful and grateful for it. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.