Followers

Saturday 13 March 2021

Hair!

 One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post....haircuts!  Or rather, the lack of.

I have very fine, flyaway, fairly straight hair, which needs to be kept short as it won't hold a style - any hint of dampness in the air, or if it's allowed to grow a bit, and it goes limp.  Pre-Covid, I had it trimmed about every 6 weeks - as I've mentioned before, my lovely neighbour and friend H is a hairdresser, she lives 2 doors away and has a small purpose-built salon attached to the side of her house.  Obviously, haircuts aren't allowed right now and weren't for the better part of last year, so I've hardly had it cut at all for a year.  It's just hanging limp and straight, no body, almost down to my shoulders and no hint of any recognisable style, it's awful.  And having the central heating on quite a lot in recent weeks means my hair is full of static electricity.....sometimes I look like I've been playing with that thing we used to have in science lessons at school - do you remember?  It was like a big shiny metal dome thing on a stand, you put your hand on it and it made your hair all stand up on end.  

It's got to the stage where I really hate my hair right now and am desperate to have it cut....I have hacked my fringe a few times, and got husband to trim a bit off the length at the back 3 or 4 weeks ago.  But all the layers have grown out and it's just got too much length all over - I like it short and spiky normally.  

So I am seriously considering letting husband loose on it....well, not without supervision or direction, he's not going to be allowed to do what he likes!!  (I dread to think what he'd do to it if left to his own devices).  He's got an electric beard/hair trimmer with lots of attachments, he normally does his own hair with a No. 2 comb attachment.  I had a look in the bag and he's got lots of these combs, the biggest being a No. 8.....I'm thinking I might let him use that one on my hair, all over.  How bad can it be? (don't answer that!!).  Anyway, my hair grows fairly quickly, and with lockdown I won't actually have to leave the house for a couple of weeks if it's that bad.....πŸ˜΅πŸ˜œπŸ˜²πŸ˜‚

(my hairdresser will have a fit!)

8 comments:

  1. You are not alone I have been cutting my own hair using hair clippers for the back and scissors and thinning scissors for the top. I started as soon as lock down happened so that my short cut did not get too long. I have now perfected it so that I no longer need to go to a hairdresser. I do hubby's hair also using a number 2 comb all over.

    I watched lots of You tube cutting women's hair with clippers. I love my hair in the nape of the neck to be really short so you need to using different size combs and blend it in. Do look at you tube to give you some ideas.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me giggle! I have my hair short and have cut it myself for years, but the other week I decided to use hubby's hair/beard trimmer. His hair attachment goes up to 20, so I thought that would be OK. NOT! It nearly scalped me. So, after trimming a bit at the front, I went back to my scissors. My hair is now various lengths, but as we don't see anybody, I've got time for it to grow out a bit! I guess weird haircuts are the style for these weird times. πŸ˜‚ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a thought, but now we can meet another person outdoors, do you think your neighbour/hairdresser would be willing to cut your hair on the next sunny day, in the garden. You could wash it and dry it yourself, but a good cut might be do-able?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am lucky my daughter has been a professional hairdresser for over 40 years and has she is in my bubble so I can get my hair cut, saved me so much money.
    Hazel c uk 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain, and as another with usually short spiky hair cut every 6 weeks I currently look like Worzel Gummidge when I get up in the mornings. Mine too is very fine, but I have lots of it and without it's layers and blonde dye it is looking just bleugh!! (I dyed it back to my natural colour of brown once the roots got too much as I didn't want it to be over-dyed by the end of lockdown, I can't be bothered just touching up roots etc.)

    Anyhoo ... Welsh hairdressers can open open Monday!! Literally while the news was still on I phoned my hairdresser to see if she could cut it for me before we move on Tuesday. The lovely lady that she is, she already had me booked in for my usual Thursday 10am appointment, but when she heard I would no longer be in Wales then she is now opening half an hour earlier on Monday to cut it for me. I will literally be the first person to get a haircut in her salon since lockdown was reinstated in Wales. Yay!!

    Oh to feel human again I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a No. 8 would give you about 1” all over. I got my hubby to divide my scalp into 1” segments, twist each segment relatively tightly and snip off an inch. Made a huge difference to the weight and helped create some layers. My hairdresser can’t come until the end of April:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share your frustration! Nice hair is essential to a complete sense of well being - that may sound flippant but it isn't, it matters. Maybe that's worth a try and I think you are very brave. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.