Followers

Tuesday 18 June 2024

What he said

 The very nice young GP thinks I have a rotator cuff injury - I asked how it can be an injury when I haven't fallen or bashed my shoulder?  He said it can also be caused by general wear and tear as our joints age - once again the joys of getting older!  He's prescribed stronger painkillers and has referred me to physio, if no relief then they may give me a steroid injection.  He said as a very last resort, if the pain isn't controlled and my shoulder/arm mobility doesn't improve, then we'll talk about a shoulder replacement!  I didn't even know that was a thing, and it's not something I'd be keen to have - unless it became absolutely necessary.  Can't get the stronger painkillers until tomorrow, they had none in stock in the pharmacy, but that's ok, I've been seen and the physio referral has been actioned, so all good.  Oh, and he also suggested I take 2 amitriptyline at night, instead of the one I sometimes take for back pain, as that will help me get back to sleep when the pain wakes me up.  As I've said before, I'm reluctant to take lots of meds, hence why I don't take the amitriptyline regularly now, but in the short term I'm willing to, to control the pain.

Out in the garden now, it's a lovely day.

5 comments:

  1. Well, he sounds like a caring, knowledgeable doctor. I hope the stronger painkillers/physio helps. I don't think I'd fancy a shoulder replacement either, but at least it's an option nowadays. It's a not very nice day here, again (so what's new?). Not very warm and a bit drizzly on and off. I think summer is due to arrive at the weekend. How long it'll last is another thing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a rotator cuff injury after falling twice, once from a height, the other just straight backwards onto the ground. I struggled to make the bed, hang washing out, wash my hair etc. and had to give up yoga because of it. I had physio which helped a little, but then had the steroid injection.I was lucky as I've had no problems since. Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope you do not need a shoulder replacement. I have a friend whose husband had one. Lots of physio.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a helpful doctor and the medication when you get it will sort out some of the pain.Hopefully the physio will be more reliable than last time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.