Followers

Thursday 16 February 2023

Shopping differently

 For the past week or two, I've been having a good hard think about the way I do my shopping.  I'd been trying to stretch it out so that we only go once a fortnight or so, but have come to the conclusion I don't like doing that - it takes too long doing a big shop, meaning I'm in the supermarket too long and I really don't like that.  It also means I have to buy everything in that one shop - as I don't want to have to spend even more time going to 2 or 3 other shops to get the things I prefer (or are cheaper) in there.  So I've decided that from now on, we'll go shopping every few days.....I don't mean every other day, perhaps every 4, 5 or 6 days.  And we'll choose a different shop each time.  That way, I can pick up the stuff I like in that particular shop and hopefully get several of the item, to stock up.  E.g. I like Aldi's baked beans and packet sauces, also their own frothy coffees (I don't like them as much as the Nescafe ones, but I mix the two together as the Nescafe ones are much dearer).  In Lidl I like their spreadable butter and their sourdough crumpets, both of which are much cheaper than Sainsburys, and husband likes their seeded bread.  I prefer Sainsburys for fresh fruit and veg.  So yesterday morning we went to Lidl and I got 4 packs of their butter (long dated) and 4 packs of the sourdough crumpets, which have gone in the freezer....although I noticed that both items had gone up 20 or 10p since I last bought them 2 or 3 weeks ago.  I also got a few other things, we like their cereal (much cheaper than Sainsburys) and some crackers for cheese.  Next time, we'll go to Sainsburys, the time after that will probably be Aldi.

I expect it might work out a bit dearer going more regularly - unless I really rein myself in and don't deviate from my shopping list.  However, as prices are still rising almost weekly, if I can pick up several of the same item in one go, then that may work out a bit cheaper as by the time I next need to buy it, it most likely will have gone up even more.

Husband spent a couple of hours yesterday helping his mate, our lovely kind neighbour, shovel a load of compost he'd had delivered, filling wheelbarrows and spreading it around their garden.  He was under orders (from me) to take it easy and take frequent breaks, which he assured me he did.  He wanted to help him out as the neighbour will be going with husband this afternoon to collect the new sofabed.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in situ.  Think I'll buy a couple of new throws to go on it, for Betty to sit on so it stays clean.....although being leather, it can easily be wiped over.

The long range weather forecast for early March is showing as sunny and reasonably (Spring-like) warm for the days, but chilly overnight - down to 1 or 0.  So I don't think we'll be staying overnight at the van for the first couple of weeks of March, it'll be day visits only.  If we stay overnights, we'll have to have the electric heaters on a lot, which will prove expensive.  Day visits will be fine though, most of the regulars won't be turning up until Easter or beyond anyway.  

I've been thinking it's Wednesday, but I see it's Thursday already, I don't know where this week has gone.  And it's already more than halfway through February.  Time certainly gallops away!

5 comments:

  1. We go shopping every few days. We don't have the storage to stock up on lots of things anyway! How exciting getting the new sofa bed. I wonder how long it will take Betty to claim it as hers.๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ˜„ I'm still catching up with time after Christmas. I can't believe it's almost March. I just hope spring and summer don't fly by so quickly, I want to savour them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is that you always find something to buy that was not on the list I find. Since Tom went I am not shopping much because things last a lot longer so hopefully I'll be able to cope with the lesser money that I will be getting.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are hoping that a new Lidle will be built on a site close to our home. It'll give us a half hour walk and we'll shop every few days too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be interesting to keep the receipts and check how much things are going up if you are visiting each of the shops in turn and stocking up for a couple of weeks from each. I'm just the same as you and like certain things from certain places, luckily I live in a small town and the three supermarkets are all close to each other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.