Followers

Monday 13 February 2023

The learning curve

 Well, we collected the air fryer yesterday....actually, I would have had no need to order it in advance, they had about 10 of them boxed up ready on the shop floor.  The assistant said there was a time last year when they weren't getting many in (supply issues due to their popularity) and were out of stock for a while, but now they get a big delivery of them every week, and usually sell most if not all of them.  When we were leaving the shop, we had several people tell us we wouldn't regret buying one/they loved theirs/wouldn't be without it/hadn't used their normal cooker in weeks.  So I think it's going to be a good buy.  

I used it yesterday to firstly cook frozen chips - well, have to start somewhere! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ which we had with a Spanish omelette - I cooked that on the hob.  I slightly overdid the chips, oh well I like them crispy not soggy haha, but obviously it's all a big learning curve at the moment.  I think I'm going to enjoy using it, I'll even have a go at cake making this week.  It's definitely worth joining a dedicated FB group, I've learnt a lot already from reading their posts.  It seems you can actually cook anything in the AF that you'd cook in a normal oven, it's just a question of adjusting the timings.  The only consideration seems to be size, e.g. you can cook a chicken or a meat joint, but a relatively small one.  I've discovered that some of my existing bakeware, e.g. a couple of glass dishes, cake tins and some tin foil dishes, will all fit in it, I'll be using one of the glass ones today for a fish pie.

I've decided I don't like that big garden centre where the Lakeland concession is, it's just too ginormous, too many concessions and departments, too much to look at, too confusing and too many people.   So we won't be going again!

Didn't find a sofa bed in either of the 2 charity furniture shops - they had a couple but not what I wanted.  There's no hurry anyway, we'll just keep looking until we find a suitable one.  I don't mind a second hand one, but it has to be clean and tidy, comfortable and of good quality.

Husband has missed several text messages and calls on his mobile phone recently.....he rarely even remembers to check his phone so doesn't even know if he's had one, he's not a heavy user of his phone.  I had a look at it for him yesterday - somehow or other, he'd managed to set the volume for texts and calls to zero, he claims he has no idea how that happened.  So I've sorted it out for him.  He also forgets to charge it up, I have to remind him to do it.  His phone is quite old and fairly basic.....he sometimes says he'd like a smart phone but I think it would be a bit pointless, considering he doesn't even know how to reset the volume!  The only technology he can actually operate is the TV.....๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜‚.  Bless him.

The pictures of the terrible devastation in Turkey and Syria following the earthquakes are so shocking, aren't they?  I can't even begin to imagine how terrifying it must be to be effectively buried alive underneath all that rubble, lying there for days on end, being unable to move even, never mind having nothing to eat or drink, and not knowing if or how you'll ever be rescued.  We are so very fortunate to live in this safe country.




8 comments:

  1. I use my air fryer more than I ever thought I would. I started with chips too - isn't it the law to start with chips. :) I would do an omelette on the hob too but it cooks a nice crustless quiche. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I baked scones in my old AF, that had to go back due to its keep switching off. Only had it a few days. My new Ninja one is great. At the moment, we're on a diet, so no baking for a while, but lots of veg. I discovered last night when I came to wash it, there were lots of little crispy onions under the grill plate, so they're going on our salad today. Yum! We only have dumb phones, and very rarely switch them on. I don't think we'd get the use out of a smart phone, although the way things are going, soon we won't be able to do anything without one!
    The Turkey/Syria earthquake is awful. They're now starting to question whether architects and builders have been skimping on safety measures. But that doesn't help those poor souls who've been killed or injured. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son has made his home in Turkey for the last 3 years but researched the area thoroughly before buying his house. He lives in a small hamlet on the side of a mountain only a few miles away from the Aegean Sea so although they felt the shock of the earthquakes, they only suffered minimal damage (polytunnel/greenhouse demolished and a few solar panels damaged. However, last year they were extremely close to the forest fires which devastated much of the region, so it's not always Paradise there despite the (mostly) wonderful weather! The holiday adverts on TV give a very appealing picture of Turkey . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be so relieved that he doesn't live where the devastation is.

      Delete
    2. Such a shock when I first heard the news as it din't give a precise area. And such a relief when he managed to email me. He couldn't phone or text as communications were reserved for rescue operations, etc. One short email sufficient to let me know he was safe.

      Delete
  4. One of the nice things about Lakeland is the happy customers that all seem to talk to you and compare opinions on things. I always love visiting an actual store rather than ordering online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Lakeland, we always go to the store in Windermere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you are having fun with your new appliance. I should use mine more than I do, but do get lots done in it. I like my "chips" crispy as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.