The musculoskeletal specialist was the same lady I saw around 18 months ago, back then she diagnosed a rotator cuff injury to my left shoulder. This time it's the right shoulder, she says it's also a rotator cuff injury with subacromial (spelling?) pain, whatever that is, I haven't googled it. She said it may also be a frozen shoulder. She did a lot of manipulations to my arm and shoulder and said it's significantly weaker than the left one. She doesn't think it's arthritis or osteoporosis though, which I was concerned about, so that's good. She's referred me to physio but said the referral will take months to come through, as they're very short staffed and have a huge backlog. In the meantime, she's given me a sheet of exercises to do daily, to build up the muscle strength. If things haven't improved in 8 weeks, I'm to go back to her and she'll arrange for a steroid injection and x-ray.
After all the manipulations she did, my shoulder currently hurts like hell and is keeping me awake, hence why I'm writing this at 03.50 am. I've already had painkillers and am now sitting in my recliner chair with my hot wheat bag on the shoulder, although even the weight of the bag hurts...the warmth is nice though.
Husband wants us to go and buy some meat for him for Christmas, he wants a gammon and a pork joint. I've not really thought about what I might have, Christmas isn't really on my horizon yet. I do like salmon though, so perhaps that.
The neighbour who died was 90, so a long life, and was apparently reclusive and solitary by choice. I wonder what she did all day? She had no pets and clearly wasn't a gardener.
I had frozen shoulder following a shoulder injury post fall last year. I gave up on physio & NHS & paid privately for a steroid jab/consultant. Best £350 I ever spent. 48 hours after jab, no pain and within 10 days full mobility back again. He did warn that it doesn't work at all on some people, only lasts for few months on others, but I'm now 13 months on and, fingers crossed, still fine. Thoroughly recommend it.
ReplyDeleteInteresting, thanks for that.
DeleteI hope the pain from the manipulation is easing. Doesn't make for restful sleep, does it? I hope, for your sake, it isn't a frozen shoulder. My husband had that a few years ago and it took ages to ease up. The painkillers the GP gave him had him waking in the night, screaming in agony, so he soon abandoned them! The physio gave him one of those big elastic band things, with some exercises. That did eventually help.
ReplyDeleteNow it's just the two of us, we don't go mad with Christmas food. We'll have a Quorn ham roast with veggies, followed by Swedish Glace raspberry ice-cream and that'll be it. My daughter always buys me a tub of Twiglets, so we ration them to a small handful with lunch. If I didn't ration them, I'd eat the lot in one go, then feel ill for the rest of the day. I do love them! They were my food craving when I was pregnant, and colleagues would joke that my baby would look like a Twiglet! 🤣 xx
Glad you saw a specialist about your shoulder but sorry to hear it’s hurting more at the moment. My daughter has paid for steroid injections in her shoulder as she tore her rotator cuff in a fall about 10 years ago. They do seem hit or miss though and sometimes do her no good at all. Hope you are keeping cosy in this colder weather. Catriona
ReplyDeleteI do hope it isn't frozen shoulder and that the exercises help you.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.