I've mentioned before that husband has a big appetite, he likes 3 good meals a day, plus snacks in between, he's a committed carnivore and will eat almost anything. By comparison, I have a quite limited diet - my own choice, I prefer simple mostly veggie meals with some fish. I will occasionally (about once or twice a month) eat a little bit of chicken or a couple of chipolatas. I don't always eat breakfast...for lunches, unless I've made something specific like a roast veg quiche or a veg frittata, we generally get our own lunches. I have something like cheese and crackers with some fruit, or a bowl of soup and slice of sourdough toast.....husband prefers something more substantial like eggs and beans on toast with fried tomatoes, or bowl of soup with a couple of sandwiches. He always eats breakfast, 2 or 3 slices of toast with cheese or banana, or cereal with sliced banana followed by toast. I do a cooked meal in the evening, generally some sort of stew or mince for husband (or pork loin chops or steak, which he cooks himself whilst I do the accompanying veg). I have something lighter and smaller, like a jacket spud with beans & cheese plus a side salad, or garlic & herb mushrooms on sourdough toast.
Bearing in mind that I have a much more limited diet than husband, I usually buy things for me that I really like - such as soups for when I'm not in the mood for making my own, fish pastes to have on crackers, cheeses that I really like (I like all cheese actually), nuts that I like - cashews and almonds. I do also buy the equivalent things that husband prefers, such as meaty soups, meat pastes, walnuts and brazils which I don't like.
This morning I fancied breakfast, a slice of toast with salmon paste (there was an open jar in the fridge which needed using up)....only to find that husband had eaten my salmon paste, leaving his own ham and beef one in the fridge, he claimed he hadn't noticed! This isn't an isolated incident, him eating my stuff happens regularly - over the past couple of weeks he's had both my Broccoli & Stilton and Tomato & Basil soups, the last of my cashew nuts, the blue Dolcelatte cheese (which he claims he doesn't like!) which I was planning to have melted into mushrooms for my tea tonight. Plus one of my Linda McCartney mozzarella veggie burgers, rather than his own beef ones (again he claimed he didn't notice, which I find hard to believe).
He can - and does - eat anything, whilst I won't eat most of what he eats. It's so frustrating, he always claims he didn't realise it was mine or that I wouldn't mind - he never asks first, just assumes. I know that he sometimes probably genuinely gets things (like the salmon paste and his ham & beef one) mixed up because he doesn't read the labels, but that doesn't excuse him eating my cashew nuts simply because he's finished his own walnuts, or my Dolcelatte cheese which he professes not to like. Again, it's only a relatively small thing, but it sometimes feels like I'm not allowed anything of my own.
Hi Sooze, would sticking a red label on the salmon spread help-? I’ve had to resort to labels on my hearing aid boxes so my blurry self gets them in the correct ear each morning. I do understand how husband eating your food must make you feel. Kay
ReplyDeleteI was going to suggest a large Tupperware box, labelled with your name, so he has no excuse. Or would that not work? I'm sure you've considered all options, even putting a lock on the kitchen and/or fridge! It is annoying, though, when you've been looking forward to something only to find it's disappeared. xx
ReplyDeleteHow disappointing to find this is happening regularly when you are providing food for both of you. Would using a coloured label on things that are yours be helpful? Sorry I’m not much help but it must be extremely frustrating that you are left with things you can’t eat. Catriona
ReplyDeleteIn my home as I always cooked from scratch my children were always allowed to help themselves to anything in the fridge, mainly snack items like yoghurt, mini scotch eggs, pork pies etc. Son stayed at his fiancées home one night and had a couple of yoghurts for breakfast. His future MIL was very annoyed as they were only her's for her diet. Different system in their home. I think the tupperware box idea for your own food items is a very good idea and may help your husband remember it's just for you. Best wishes x
ReplyDeleteGet two plastic container boxes with lids - one for refrigerator foods and one for shelf foods. Tape very large (lid size) sign on top of each that reads: NO. DO NOT EAT. Failing that get two lock boxes. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteHi Sooze, why don't you stop buying anything (apart from raw meat) separate for him? Instead of buying any kind of processed meat products you won't be able to eat(I'm thinking spreads here), only buy a couple of the variety you would prefer to have, he obviously eats fish so don't buy meat paste, then you might get to one first. Have two of several items which don't need refrigerating and as its so cold keep yours stashed in a strong box hidden outside, we store potatoes and root vegetables outside in a spare dustbin, cheeses keep well there extra drinks, and tins store anywhere. Did you ever see the advert where a child was at a party, sucking the chocolate nuts, and then putting the bare nuts in a dish, a man was busy chatting to someone, then putting his hand into the nut bowl and eating them ! .........) you could suggest you've licked all the nuts or cheese etc!! The soups could store outside or in containers in the freezer (you can defrost them anytime you want them) in general don't tell him it's a case of his and yours - just keep yours out of his way. It's a horrid situation, but you are not the only one this happens to - my sister has the same problem with her husband, mind you he wasn't too keen on eating kit kat with marmite on, and he certainly got the message when he had a go at her crusty roll sandwiches when she was out - prawns with thousand island dressing made with raspberry jam wasn't on his favourites list either. When he complained she told him she'd already said these were for her so why did he take them? Sometimes he does forget - but most of the time he's just bored and eats for something to do, apart from being just plain greedy. Sound familiar? I hope you get some pleasure out of your new hobby - there are some lovely results so I hope you find something you like to have a go at. All the best. Elaine
ReplyDeleteI had this problem with my husband as well. Now that I'm in my seventies I don't have the patience or the strength to put up with the frustration. I'm not a restaurant, I'm retired! So I had an idea. Something similar to what I had to do with my "adult child" of a husband. Since your husband seems to "not notice" what he grabs to eat try this experiment--just buy food you like (not "his" food)-enough for, say, only a week for the both of you as you're running a test. If it's true he doesn't notice like he claims, then you'll at least have more of the food you can eat (and then can continue to buy your food not "his"). If he bitches and moans, just remind him (loudly)(and if he fusses at the shouting tell him you want to make sure he hears what you're saying) he's been eating your food that you need for health reasons and had told you he didn't notice eating it. If he wants different foods he should leave yours alone. Buying two different sets of foods can get expensive (!) plus you have to cook two meals (which doesn't seem fair to me at all) instead of just one large one that you both can have. And, being the spiteful person that I am, get a note from your doctor saying you "have to keep to dietary restrictions or suffer serious declines in health" (if your doctor has a sense of humor they'll not mind doing it). Then hang that on the refrigerator where your husband can see it (I'd laminate it too to make it waterproof in case of tears and sobbing). In the meantime you have my complete and utter sympathy.
ReplyDeleteHow frustrating for you. I am not sure how you could prevent this from happening, I know how frustrated I get when Harvey eats the last bagel I was saving for my lunch.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I imagine that's really frustrating! I find it so when my OH eats things I've earmarked as "ingredients" for a meal. I think the large tupperware box with your earmarked foods would be best...if he opens that and takes things out it can hardly be "not noticing".
ReplyDelete