Followers

Thursday, 27 November 2025

Mum's sayings

 Happy Hooker commented yesterday on something my Mum used to say to us as kids - if she asked us to do something which we didn't want to do, she would say "What's up with you, got a bone in your leg?".  It got me thinking about other things Mum said, which made no sense to me at the time but I knew they generally meant 'do it or else', or something along those lines.  E.g. - "If the wind changes your face will stay like that" - if we were scowling or looking miserable.  "Do you want me to come over there and slap your backside?" - I always had the urge to answer her back and say 'yes go on then' but was savvy enough to know that she would if I did!  "Don't go out with wet hair, you'll catch your death of cold" - really?!  "Get that muck off your face and put some clothes on, you're not going out like that!" - during my teenage years when I was pushing the boundaries and wanting to follow fashion.  "Don't sit so close to the TV, you'll get square eyes" - this was always my brothers being told that.  "Just wait till your father gets home, then you'll know what's what!" - said when Mum was fed up with trying to deal with our squabbles.  As we were nearly always in bed asleep by the time he got home, we hardly ever saw him anyway so it was a bit of an empty threat.  Then there was "Eat your greens, there are starving kids in Biafra who'd be glad of that".  Again, I always wanted to say 'well send it to them then!' - and sometimes did say it, which often earned me a clip round the ear....I was quite a defiant child and frequently answered back.  We were also often told "Eat your dinner or you'll get it for breakfast".....although I don't ever recall Mum actually doing that.  What did you get told as a child?

The hairdresser, Bethany, was lovely and did a really good cut, so I'll be having her regularly from now on.

It's the Christmas lights switch on in the town tomorrow evening, lots going on, carols, lantern parade, farmers market, local food and craft stalls, most shops staying open late, and free parking in all town car parks.  The weather looks ok, so we're planning on going.

7 comments:

  1. "Eat your crusts, they give you curly hair." "He/she's got a face only a mother could love." "It's like Blackpool illuminations in here! "(when lights had been left on and no-one was in the room). "Put wood in'th'ole." (Shut the door). "Don't just stand there like Piffy on a rock bun." "There's enough blue in that sky to make a sailor a pair of trousers."
    I remember my Grandad saying, as we passed the cemetery, "That's the dead centre of town." It took me years to get the joke!
    Thanks for the memories, Sooze. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Eat your crusts" - ooh yes, I'd forgotten that one! Mum's one for "Shut the door" was "You weren't born in a barn!". "Piffy on a rock bun" - ? I've never heard of that! xx

      Delete
    2. I've no idea who or what Piffy was! The Scouse saying is "Standing there like one of Lewis's" and how about "She's all fur coat and no knickers!" xx

      Delete
  2. My Grandad used to say - Up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire and She has legs right up to her bum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents would describe a very good-looking girl or woman as "a right Bobby dazzler"! 😆

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can often remember Mom saying "I don't pay to heat the outdoors" when we were a bit slow to close the door in the winter.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad when I asked where he was going "Going to see a man about a dog" and if I said how long would he be "how long is a piece of string" It's like Blackpool illuminations in here if we had lights on in an empty room. We're you born in a barn? if we left the door open. Don't sit on stone walls you will get piles! If we had a cough It's not the cough that sees you off, it's the bl..dy coffin they carry you off in. Lol

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.