As some of you may have gathered, the post in blogland that stated there was a lot of negativity now in blogs both annoyed and upset me in equal measure. Well, more upset than anything, and I must confess to feeling personally attacked, whether that was the post's intention or not. It plunged me into a state of deep depression for a while. For reasons which I'm not going into (as I don't write absolutely everything on my blog!), things have been very difficult here for the past few months, and there's no let up - it is what it is, it won't be getting any better, and I just have to knuckle down and deal with it all. And that's regardless of my own health problems, which I'm really struggling with at the moment. To top it all, I'm still getting over what I'm now sure was covid - I have a little energy in the mornings so have to do what's necessary then, as by lunchtime I'm shattered. My sense of smell is gradually beginning to come back, and therefore my sense of taste too. The cough still lingers, although is nowhere near as bad. I'm also in a lot of pain (and I have quite a high pain threshold, so for me to say that means the pain is bad) and have restricted movement, which is affecting every aspect of daily living, I've been given strong painkillers and have a diagnostic appointment next Friday. But seeing as I'm the only capable one here, I just have to grit my teeth and carry on, someone's got to do what's necessary and that someone is me.
As I've said what seems like dozens of times.....we're all different, we're not clones of each other, we don't all react to situations the same way, we don't all have the same personalities and behavioural traits. Some people are naturally upbeat and can find the positives in most things - I applaud you, it's fabulous to be able to do that. But not everyone can. I know I talk about a lot of negative things - well, all I can say is none of you are in my shoes, just as I'm not in yours. Nobody knows what my life is like on a daily basis, apart from the limited amount I choose to talk about. For anyone who says that somebody should do this or that, or focus on the positive - that's what YOU would do, you can't possibly know what anyone else would do in the same circumstances, nor can you expect it. If people think what I write is too negative - well, don't read it, that's fine, I'm not forcing you to. But don't tell me what YOU think I should be doing in any given situation.
I am fully aware that my health, both physical and emotional, is probably clouding my judgement right now, making me feel very vulnerable and alone. I'm not going down the antidepressant route, for my own good reasons, so don't even think of suggesting that. I will get through things in my own way - I always do, one thing I'm not is a quitter.
The one thing I can be (and am) happy and positive about is the legacy payment I was given recently. By a lot of people's standards, it's a quite miniscule amount, but it has more or less set us up for life. We weren't in any debt or behind with any payments, we (well me actually, I'm the one who deals with all our finances) were jogging along fairly well financially. Following receipt of this money, we've been able to buy a few things that were more wants than needs, and my savings accounts are well and truly topped up. So I at least have no worries on that score.
I want to say thank you so much to all the readers and blog friends who have emailed me, you've helped me more than you know to not feel so alone.
Until people walk in your shoes they have no idea of the difficulties you go through, stay strong Sooze.
ReplyDeleteTry to ignore the nay-sayers, Sooze. None of us know what another is truly going through and feeling. All we can do is be there to lend support (not unasked for advice) and a virtual shoulder to cry on. Mine is always available, you know that.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get some answers and, more importantly, some treatment/advice/medication, at your diagnostic appointment. xx
Have you thought of making your blog private, so that you only have like minded people reading it.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to see this post this morning, Sooze. Seems like to me that your talking to us means you are feeling a little bit better. Not so closed up and alone. You are so right that nobody should be telling you what you should do and how you should feel. I am sorry to hear that you are in pain; that adds immeasurably to the load you are already carrying. Hopefully your coming appointment will help. And, really a good thing that you don't have to carry financial worries along with everything else.
ReplyDeleteOh. I am with you on the antidepressants. Doc gave me pills. I read about all the side effects and got rid of those without taking a one! Sending wishes for a better day for you!
Can I just say that I don't often post on blogs that I follow but I feel I must now. Your life is yours to deal with as you wish; and your blog is for you to write as you wish. I often feel I am so lucky in my daily life. Others aren't so lucky, and if writing about it helps then do so. Never feel you are being judged; if people don 't like what they are reading then they should just walk on by. I have empathised with you, and will continue to do so. Take care.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to see your post today and hear that whatever lurgy you had is now getting better. Winter suddenly came today and despite my layers, I was cold walking back from the shops in sleety rain. Cosy now and reading blogs and drinking tea. Catriona
ReplyDeleteThere's only one decent piece of advice I've ever been given, 'you do you, that's all you can do at any time.'
ReplyDeleteThis is my first comment ever on your blog, even though I have been reading it for some years. Please don´t let yourself be upset by stupid people who think they can judge you ( or is this an advice, too?). I never found any negativity in your blog, you just tell how it is. I think this always thinking positive is an American thing which has invaded Europe during the last years - like a lot of other things. Please continue posting, I think you have a lot of readers who appreciate what you chose to tell us. I really hope your health is getting better. And of course a good financial situation is a good thing.
ReplyDeleteHilde in Germany
I agree with all the other commenters. Don't take any notice of those who think they know better than you - just be yourself ! Take care.
ReplyDeleteReal life does not wear rose-tinted spectacles. You tell it as it is, warts and all and I very much appreciate that. This is your outlet, where you can speak from your heart, let off steam if you need to and log good things too. Good luck with the diagnostic appointment and I so wish that you can be helped and your pains eased. xx
ReplyDeleteReal life is how I take your blog. Do not take any notice of the nay sayers as I am pretty darn sure their lives are not always rose filled.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
So glad you’re back. I admire how you deal with everything in your way and get on with it. That’s the thing you do it your way. There’s always some who (think) they know better. Ignore them (because they don’t!) and do what you know is right for you. You have lots of supporters on here!
ReplyDelete