Followers

Wednesday, 18 February 2026

Nice new neighbour, bread pudding and please make the weather garden friendly!

 We met the new neighbour yesterday, she came over to thank us for the Welcome card I put through her door.  She's around mid-70s, very sprightly, seems really nice, I think we'll get on fine.  She's moving in on Saturday, coming over every day this week to bring a few things in her car.  Yes she's got a little car - but says she wants to give up driving!  Where she currently lives (in a property also owned by our landlords), she said it's quite rural with no public transport or amenities - sounds just like our old house.  Hence why she wanted to move here, closer to amenities and with support as she's getting older.

We nipped to the supermarket yesterday evening, I needed a couple of things I'd forgotten to put on my last shopping list, to go towards meals this week.  They'd reduced a lot of their bread, I got 3 of my favourite Jasons's sourdough loaves reduced to 1/3 of their original price, they'll be useful to keep in the freezer for days when I don't feel inclined or have the time to make my own bread.  I also picked up one of their instore bakery small brown sourdough loaves, reduced to 50p.  It was already going a bit stale but I immediately thought it'd be brilliant for making a bread pudding.  So that's what I've done this morning, the bread is all torn up in a bowl soaking with dried fruit, mixed spice, some orange zest, a bit of brown sugar, milk, melted butter and eggs, the kitchen smells like Christmas.  I don't follow a recipe for the bread pudding, my Mum used to make it often and I just more or less copy what she did, throwing in unmeasured amounts of this and that until it looks the right consistency and quantity.  Actually, I think bread pudding is one of those things that is very forgiving and is pretty much impossible to get wrong.

Well, the forecast for all day sunshine didn't materialise yesterday, we had an hour or 2 of reasonable sunshine early morning, then back to brief glimpses of sun through the clouds, bitterly cold with spots of rain...yet again.  My washing didn't get dry on the line, had to put it on the airer in the hall and in the airing cupboard.  So irritating.  Dull, rainy and cold today, but hopefully some sunshine tomorrow.  We really want to get on with the garden, even husband is currently quite enthusiastic so I really want to harness that before it wears off!!  (Which it will).

Thanks for all your comments on the possible wartime ration experiment, especially Chinadogs, very interesting.  I'll give it some more thought and google a bit more, I'll definitely post about it if I do decide to do it.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, that's good that your new neighbour is nice and friendly. Just what you want!
    I love bread pudding, but it's no longer on the menu here. Chris is sticking to his very low carb diet as it seems to suit him, and if I made one, I'd eat it all in one go! I used to make a rhubarb b&b pudding, and, my, it was delicious, hot or cold.
    It's bitterly cold here today. The wind just goes straight through me, so no gardening on the cards for me. It's supposed to be in double figures at the weekend. Here's hoping! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. She might be a good companion on solo trips on the bus to the town shopping area when your husband can stay with Betty, or just a different person to converse with her and there without getting out of your comfort zone at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have never ever ever had bread and butter pudding, or made it! Never ever had it as a child - O don't think we had leftover bread and give never ever wanted to try it! Maybe I should but not eating bread for over 18months now, it'd have to be sourdough and possibly a GF one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya Rachel 👋. It's not bread and butter pudding, which is a dessert (still very yummy). Bread pudding is more of a cake, albeit quite a stodgy (but still yummy) one. They're two different things, often confused though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I got confused, too. I thought you meant bread and butter pudding, too. I don't think I've ever had bread pudding! xx

      Delete
  5. How nice of your new neighbour to come over. She sounds like someone you will be able to talk over the fence to (so to speak).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo, bread pudding - I've not had that for years! I used to love it, but I don't really bake now so perhaps I'll buy a slice from a traditional bakery if I see it. Good that your neighbour is nice, and at least one of my wishes for you came true as she has a car 😉. Perhaps if you offer to go out with her in it to the supermarket or whatever, she might change her mind and keep it for local use because sometimes having a companion when you're driving can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.