Followers

Thursday, 27 February 2025

You've all come up trumps

 Thank you all very much for the dairy free recommendations, I really appreciate it.  Popped to the supermarket for a small top up shop of fruit & veg yesterday and took the opportunity to have a look at some of the vegan stuff.  A few things were on special offer, so I took advantage of that and bought some - some of the long life oat milks, and Lurpak plant butter (I didn't even know they did that) for example.  I also bought a pack of Applewood vegan smoked cheese, Philadelphia plant cream cheese and a tub of nutritional yeast flakes.  I've tried a slice of the Applewood cheese - it's actually not bad, a mild smoky flavour and quite 'cheesy', no unpleasant plasticky or chemically taste.  Even husband said it was ok, and he's not a huge cheese lover.  Haven't tried any of the other things yet (other than oat milk, which I've had several times in the past anyway), I'm going to try making a 'cheese' sauce using the oat milk and nutritional yeast and maybe grate a bit of the smoked cheese into it, just to see what it's like.  Cakes will be no problem, using plant based spreads, and I can of course make batter for Toad in the Hole with oat milk.  I've made pastry in the past using oil instead of butter....can't remember what it was like but am fairly sure it was ok.  I've had the Alpro yogurts before, they're absolutely fine.  Didn't know about the Swedish Glace icecream, I'll certainly try that - and the vegan Magnums!  So I now know there are plenty of options for making ordinary things dairy free.

But as one of you said, the prices of some of the dairy free things are much higher than 'normal' stuff, quite an eye opener.

Not done much today, I've had a belting headache literally all day, I think it's sinus related.  Might be worth me going totally dairy-free for a few days!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you've got an arsenal of dairy free options for your sister.
    My sympathies for the sinus headache. Oh, I remember it well. I've spent a good part of the past 40 years popping decongestants, especially when the weather is cold. Since my sinus surgery, I've not had to take a single one, and I can breathe and smell again! If I'd known it was so easy and had such good results, I'd have done it years ago! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you found all those dairy free items. Sinus headaches are the worst (mine usually end up getting to migraine level if not caught early enough).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cathedral City cheese in blocks and grated is good and also the spreading cheese in tubs is tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, I've had the Swedich Glace ice cream and found it a pretty decent sub for normal ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swedish Glace icecream is lovely, all three flavours ... I rarely buy it though as I am always tempted to eat far too much. The vegan Magnums are lovely too. Alan likes the Applewood Smokey grated and added to a ham sandwich. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are happy and busy. I am so happy you moved to your lovely new home when you did...and now your sister is coming to see you. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.