Followers

Saturday 29 December 2018

A surprise bargain

Thanks for comments....we're clearly all 'ladies of a certain age'!!  I came off HRT at the beginning of this year, as I'd been on it for 6 or 7 years and my GP (male, who's now retired) was always asking how much longer I wanted to stay on it.  However, since being off it the night sweats have doubled in frequency and severity, and I also get daytime hot flushes now, which I rarely had on the HRT.  And as for my mood swings....well, they're pretty awful.  So perhaps it's time to go back on it, and it does give osteoporosis protection as well.  I've made an appointment to see my (female and about my age) GP to discuss it.

Yesterday we went to the pet store to get some more toys for Betty....she's very hard on toys, she's a chewer and has very strong jaws so toys don't last long, even the so-called tough ones.  Got a few, along with some good quality food that was on special offer.  

Whilst there, I decided to go in M&S Foodhall as it's next door to the pet store....didn't need anything, thought I'd just go for a nosy round.  I'm glad I did, they had lots of fresh meat reduced - I bought a free range bronze slow reared fresh turkey reduced to £11, original price £44.  We hardly ever have turkey as neither of us have been keen on it in the past - too dry (possibly overcooked!).  But I'd read several articles recently about brining the bird overnight (saw a couple of chefs on TV do it too), so decided to give that a go.  It's been soaking overnight in the (cold unheated) utility room in my giant stock pot (thank goodness I have it!) in a salt, brown sugar and spice water bath, with a couple of oranges and onions chopped up in it.  Even so, I still had to get husband to cut the legs and wings off first, to make it fit into the pot, I froze them for cooking at a later date.  I'll cook the turkey this morning, then portion it up and freeze it, and make stock from the carcass of course.  Think we've got enough meat for months and months now, what with the gammon and beef from the last couple of days, and the chicken, pork, mince and sausages already in the freezer.

Betty keeps going in the kitchen and sniffing....the turkey giblets are cooking, she'll have some of that for her tea tonight.  She had roast beef yesterday, husband says I spoil her - my answer to that is well of course I do, and he's just as spoilt!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, I am not allowed to go on HRT due to my cancer meds, but I shall be finishing them this year. I was just reading about hot flushes and what I read said the average is 7 years but they can go on for 11 - Really!!!
    Well done on the turkey, and I think you are right to spoil Betty, I know I would, I am a softie when it comes to animals, and after all she is a part of the family, have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum was still having hot flushes in her 70s! I've been having them for about 7 or 8 years now, and they've definitely got worse since stopping the HRT. Thanks Marlene, hope your weekend is good too, and happy new year to you x

      Delete
  2. Use some of the cooked turkey for this pie, I normally use the bits of turkey left on the bones after carving, put the turkey in an ovenproof dish, shread the meat, add a jar of cranberry sauce, mix together, you can add ham or gammon to mix. Now make a packet of stuffing mix, once it has thickened, spread on top of mixture like a pie crust, bake for the time to cook the stuffing. It is always moist and we love it, can be frozen before cooking as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum, that sounds delicious, just my kind of thing, thanks Marlene.

      Delete
  3. I am also a lady of a certain age and I must say, hand on heart, that I have never suffered with hot flushes, thank goodness. It may be because I finished with the curse at age 42 and recall that I was told that I could have osteoperosis when I am older. I seem to remember that I was offered HRT, but declined as I hate taking pills of any description. I must have had an inkling of what was to come for me as there, sometimes, is never enough hours in the day for all the pills I have to take. There's always something, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a Hysterecromy when I was in my early 40s and I have never had any problems with hot flushes and I am now 80.
    I am sorry for any body as been thro it especially my daughter.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mum had an early menopause (late 30's - early 40's), but still has hot flushes even though she is now 78!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't remember exactly when I started the menopause, probably I was about 51 or 52. Luckily I have never had any hot flushes, My friend had them real bad, you could see the flush travel up her neck and over her face in a matter of seconds. I'm so sorry for those who do suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do some research on Pro G Yam 500.
    Natural and I used about 1/3 of the recommended only once a day. Takes about a month to start working , but it did for me. Good luck and cooler nights to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I was lucky, I only had sweats at night and not that many, I fairy sailed through the menopause and I think the reason was that I took quite high doses of Evening Primrose Oil. My doctor recommended it and at that time you could get it on prescripton. Maybe worth a try.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also took evening primrose oil starting in my early fifties. My last period was 2 weeks after my 60th birthday. Never had the hot flushes but find I can't tolerate high heat any more but I loved it when I was younger. My aunt (only 6 years older than me) had breast cancer and she is convinced it's because she was on HRT for 15 months. Needless to say I won't go that route. My DIL, in her early 50's, has terrible hot flushes but she is also resisting HRT.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.