Followers

Thursday 6 December 2018

Should have gone to Specsavers! (oh, he did)

Wow, thank you all so much for your comments, including from lots of new readers, following my soapbox moment yesterday.  I've always stood up for myself over the years - except when I thought it wasn't worth my time - but now even more so.  It's like a switch has been flicked inside me and I've become much more decisive and assertive.

Yesterday morning we went out early to go to husband's optician appointment.  We got nearly to the end of our lane, when he suddenly decided he needed the loo and reversed back at speed (about 100 yards).  Through sheer carelessness (bearing in mind he's been a professional HGV driver all his life), he bashed the side of the car into our neighbour's stone wall, smashing the wing mirror and indicator light underneath it to bits, breaking the reflector light the neighbour has on their wall (for safety reasons!) and scaring me half to death.  (and as I said, we were on our way to town to his EYE TEST appointment!!).

After I'd recovered from the shock (and the desire to whack him round the head with all the bits of wing mirror he'd left me to pick up whilst he dashed indoors), I thought - well, I can either be right moody and let it spoil my day, or I can just put it out of my mind, place it all firmly on his shoulders and leave him to deal with it all entirely by himself.  So that's what I did, telling him it was up to him to sort out (including how to pay for it) and I didn't want to know.  I know it was an accident, I'm not dwelling on it, hopefully that's the 3rd thing to do with the car out of the way now and there won't be anything else!  

I left him in the opticians and went off for a mooch around town by myself, something I almost never get the chance to do.  It was good, I hardly spent anything, only buying some paracetamol and dog treats and a little Christmas decoration for £1 in a charity shop, it was just nice to have a look round on my own.  

Incidentally, his eyesight has hardly changed, he doesn't need new glasses (!!) and his hearing is also fine.  So it's just selective hearing then, as is normal for men ;-).

Out early again this morning to take Betty to the groomers, then housework to do for the rest of the day, along with spicing up and reboiling the boring chutney I talked about the other day.  I want to get everything done so I can have the day free on Friday - I'm going to have a day doing absolutely bugger all!


15 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the car, I suppose these things do happen, glad you enjoyed your mooch around, I was thinking I am going to have a day doing bugger all as well Sue, does us good once in a while. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this entry although not the bit about the car! Presumably it will be covered (mostly) by insurance but what a nuisance.
    Friday sounds great - just ensure things don't come along to take it over. THat's what tends to heppen to me!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it'd be worth claiming, what with the excess. Fortunately, I don't think it's going to be too costly. Or so he tells me.

      Delete
  3. Are you sure we are not related in some way. Your life sounds like it is going along the same lines as mine. I have been so miserable at times since we (got older) but have decided to go with the flow.
    Trouble is we are all made to think that we should always be doing something and when you are older you think you should make everyday count but actually its more productive sometimes to have a day off, you'll feel revived the next day.
    Hope the car doesn't cost too much.
    BRiony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think by the time we get to our ages, Briony, we're entitled to have a day off now and then!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your husband and car -at least he is okay- and he did not have to get glasses. I am having a day of tomorrow I want to finished the baby blanket I am crochet but today I must get my cards wrote and I am going to take in to school the wreaths I have made for there Christmas Fair.the weather looks alright at the moment. Glad you had a nice day yesterday
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Hazel, it was me who was sitting on the side of the car that was bashed! lol.

      Delete
  5. You are absolutely the best when it comes to descriptions
    Don't get angry but you made me laugh!
    I am sorry and since I live on fixed income I understand-believe me
    Been hard year-divorced!! So I know what it is like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not angry at all Brenda, it made me laugh too - well, today, not so much yesterday ;-)

      Sorry for your hard year :(

      Delete
  6. Glad the damage wasn't worse and that his eyesight is the same, so no extra expense for new glasses.

    By-the-way, thank you for the welcome. I have been reading your old blog for a long time, but was unable to comment as you didn't allow Anonymous. Now you have changed it I can, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry Joan, I didn't even realise my old blog was refusing to allow Anonymous comments! I'm rubbish at this techie stuff, sorry about that, but glad you can now comment.

      Delete
  7. I had to laugh Sooze, I am certain that Men are from Mars and all have any common sense removed just prior to birth. Friday sounds perfect, I will probably have a day off on Sunday. Feet up and knitting to hand, something easy to watch on the telly and tea on tap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Common sense removed just prior to birth' - that had me in stitches, Pam!

      Delete
  8. Yes why do men have selective hearing? Mine certainly does, and having three sons too, I think they are actually born with it!

    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.