Followers

Tuesday, 9 September 2025

Tentative plans

 All quiet here the last couple of days - well, reasonably.  That's not to say husband hasn't been as talkative, clumsy and noisy as ever - he has, but I think I'm getting better at ignoring it all and walking away.  I've laid down a couple of ground rules too - e.g. I go to bed earlier than him, simply because by evening I need some quiet downtime, so I relax in bed reading, until I doze off and drop the book, waking me up enough to switch the lamp off and settle down.  Husband has been in the habit of coming into my room after I've gone to bed, chattering away - I've now said that unless it's something urgent he really needs to tell me, I'm not to be disturbed.  He's agreed, but I'm sure I'll have to remind him sometimes, as he's bound to forget.  I've also said there's no need for him to get up the same time as me in the mornings - I'm usually up by 6.30, simply because that's the time I've nearly always got up, my entire adult life - I don't set the alarm, I just naturally wake up then.  I like a bit of peace and quiet in the mornings, to have a slow start, drink my coffee, check the weather and news apps on my phone and think about what I've got to do that day.  When husband gets up, the TV goes on straight away and he's in full on talking mode immediately.  So I've suggested he has a lie in a few times a week, he says that's fine - he agrees he doesn't need an early start except on his gym days, 3x a week.

We did think about having a holiday a while back, but it got put on hold for one reason or another.  Well, now I've decided I would really like one, so would husband.  I've found a couple of places in Devon only just over an hour's drive away, so not too taxing for husband.  They both have late availability, but I'm not going to book either one just yet - it really depends on whether the car passes the MOT early next week.  If it does, all well and good, I'll go ahead and book.....if not and work is needed on the car, then that takes priority.  So fingers crossed!

With the hope that everything goes to plan and we can get away for a few days, I'm going to do some batch cooking this week, to freeze a few meals to take with us.  I also have more garden produce to prep and freeze too, butternut squashes and apples mostly.  I know the squashes store quite well, but we have had the odd one or two go off in previous years, so I'll part roast and freeze some of them.  The apples off the tree in the front garden, having tasted them over the weekend, I can definitely now say are cookers, they're a bit on the sour side - nice though cooked with brown sugar and cinnamon or ginger. 

14 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very sensible plan about getting some peace in the evenings. Hope your holiday plans come to fruition-a change of scene would be good before the weather gets cold. Fingers crossed. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm really hoping the holiday break happens xx

      Delete
  2. I would love a proper holiday but other things happened! One of my rabbits was ill - he's 9 - his vet bill was £800. Then the clutch on the car went - £850 - only for me to get in it last week & it wouldn't start. Suspected starter motor, awaiting a slot this week to be fixed. I used the bus to travel 6 miles into my local town - £12 return. To top it all, we have 3 family birthdays in September as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a lot of expense! What a shame xx

      Delete
  3. Just a little time on your own to unwind or prepare for the day sounds good. I hope the car passes it's MOT and you can have a few days away. Have you considered a coach holiday? No driving for your husband and a little break for you. I'd love to try it, but husband is car sick unless he's driving. Wouldn't make for a very restful time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No K, because of Betty. Even if dogs were allowed, she would absolutely hate being stuck on a coach. xx

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes. Sorry Sooze, I wasn't thinking! xx

      Delete
  4. I too manage to have a couple of hours early in the morning to myself. It helps to start the day. Ground rules are a good idea Sooze. Really hope you manage a holiday. June x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's excellent if you can carve out a bit of time on your own in the day. A mental refreshment for the rigours of life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a calm, measured and patient person but a very light sleeper and I can categorically state that if I was woken up after I'd retired for the night I would NOT be responsible for my actions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fingers crossed that the car passes and you can get away x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now we all have our fingers crossed that your car passes it's MOT. A late Summer holiday would be perfect wouldn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope you get a bit of a holiday. Keeping my fingers crossed for the MOT.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.