Followers

Thursday, 17 September 2026

Dog food, losing inches

 It's getting light later now isn't it, the last 2 mornings I've had to put the light on when I've got up in order to check if Betty had been sick anywhere - thankfully not.  She slept all day yesterday, then came to life in the evening and ate her tea as normal, with no sickness after, the antacids seem to be working.  I've been doing some research after John the vet said she must have a very bland diet, he suggested a dry food specially for sensitive stomachs.  I did say she doesn't really like dry kibble, John replied that dogs aren't like humans - if they're really hungry they will eat anything.  Hmmm.  And anyway, the brand of food he suggested (Hill's Science) is very expensive - around £55 to £65 a bag 😮.  For the time being, I've bought her some commercial food trays for sensitive stomachs and have also made and frozen some plain poached (in water) chicken with minced carrot and squash to take with us.  I'm also still giving her one treat a day (a reduction from her usual half a dozen treats), a dried chicken fillet broken up and given throughout the day.  She has her antacid tablets wrapped in a small piece of wafer thin ham - John's suggestion.

Isn't it funny how we lose inches (in height) as we age.....would be lovely if we also lost pounds with ageing without even trying!  Husband was 5'8" when we met, although he absolutely insists he was 5'9" and the tallest out of him and his 4 brothers.  Erm, no, 2 of his brothers were taller than him, as evidenced in photos of them all lined up together in earlier years.  Now, he's lost 3" in height and in the evenings he's even shorter - I know our height shrinks during the day, although don't know why.  I thought I was much the same height (5'6"), but having been measured at the GP's during my last review, it seems I'm now 5'5".  It also means my BMI is now worse for my now height.  I've actually lost 6lbs over the past couple of weeks, but this morning it seems I've put back on a couple of pounds due to comfort eating whilst stressed over Betty and other things I should think.  I don't really want to eat too much 'bad' stuff whilst we're away but I think that's a bit unrealistic because - well - holiday!  But I will be making a big effort for us both to lose weight when we come back.  It is hard to control husband's eating though....making him good healthy meals is quite easy, but he does snack quite a lot between meals.  And no I don't buy him the snacks, he buys them himself when I'm not with him.

I'll be packing the clothes this morning, then it's just the food tomorrow - not loads, just enough for the first 2 days.  We've got the lady from the Alzheimer's Society coming this afternoon.  I've washed the fleece blankets I use to cover my bed and the sofa where Betty lays, just about to put them out on the line.....showers forecast but it's blowy and fleece blankets dry quickly.

I'm not taking my laptop as wifi at the cottage is said to be intermittent, so blogging next week may be sporadic or not at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.