Every time we go over to the new place, I love it a little bit more, I can hardly wait to move in now. Betty was SO excited, she was charging around with her nose to the floor, running in and out of all the rooms numerous times. We let her out into the back garden, she did the same out there (and christened it several times). I think she'll be fine there. I only just noticed yesterday morning that there's a nice rural hill view from the front of the bungalow - not far reaching field views front and rear like we have here, but still a nice countryside view. I didn't take any photos as yet, because it was cloudy all day - I will do though, as soon as the weather is bright enough.
Husband met a couple of the neighbours yesterday when he took Betty out for a walk - he said they seem nice and friendly, although he couldn't remember their names of course. I was busy emptying boxes and putting things away indoors, I expect I'll get to meet the neighbours soon enough. Husband finished laying the hall carpet, I put up some curtains.
We popped into Minehead to a carpet showroom there and have chosen a carpet remnant for the lounge - perfect size and colour and a lovely feel to the pile. We're having it delivered next Monday. Husband had said initially he would lay it himself - with my help.....I had a few misgivings about it, not because I think husband wouldn't do a good job, but because of our age and health problems. Whilst the lounge is more or less a plain almost square room with no awkward bits, the carpet will be extremely heavy and difficult to move. Overnight husband has changed his mind and said he'll get the carpet people to fit it, which I think is definitely best. The carpet itself and having it fitted is costing a bit more than we really wanted to pay, but what we've paid on that we've saved in other areas, such as the curtains and rugs. We may now have to wait a while (early next year I expect) to get carpets for the two bedrooms, but we have several rugs so we'll be fine.
Today will be a day of dismantling furniture here, as the 2nd hand furniture shop man is coming to collect our excess furniture tomorrow. That will leave big gaps here - which means plenty of space to put boxes as we pack them. The next time we go over to the new place will be Friday, we'll be taking Betty again, the more often we take her, the more she'll become familiar with it and feel comfortable there.
Think I've put a bit of weight back on, I've taken my eye off the ball with the diet lately and carbs have crept back in. Lunches have generally been sandwiches or something on toast (quick and easy in other words), dinners something veggie and home cooked out of the freezer but served with pasta, rice or a jacket spud. I'm too busy to be concentrating on cooking low carb healthy meals, so that will have to take a back seat for now. We're already thinking that January will be a month to rest and recuperate, we won't be doing anything much except pottering around in our new home, probably moving some things around to suit ourselves better, and I'll get back into making us nice healthy food then.
Moving house when you're older is certainly much harder work - we've moved house a few times during our marriage (not as many as Sue from A Smaller and Simpler Life though!). It's always been fairly stressful, but at our ages and state of health it's definitely a lot harder, both physically and mentally, we're both feeling the strain. Hopefully this will be our last ever move though, and we're focusing on the fact that we've been offered such a lovely place which ticks nearly all our boxes for the future.
Oh, and when we got to the new place yesterday, we were greeted with our first two New Home cards lying on the doormat, from family. How lovely!
I'm so happy for you all. You seem to have found the perfect place. You'll soon make it your home. A good idea to get the carpet fitters, they'll do it in a flash, while you're thinking about it. Definitely a job for younger backs and knees! xx
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like it just gets better and better. I agree with H.H. about the carpet laying.
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely a good idea to have someone fit the carpet. We forget that we're getting older sometimes and don't have the physical strength of our younger days. I'm so pleased that your bungalow is all but perfect for you. I'm sure you're going to be very happy there.
ReplyDeleteSo good for you to have the new house, and you'll be secure and can plan you future lives there free from whims of your current private landlord. Lovely outcome all round!
ReplyDeleteSo lovely to read your post, the happiness coming from them is just great.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't imagine moving house at our ages...76 and 72. Well done! Good idea to let someone else lay the carpet...Getting up off the floor is hard to do nowadays. Enjoy the new place!!
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
Yes it is harder when you're older, Dh and I took months to recover but we are older than you. I don't think we could move again! Enjoy that new home and January will be your resting month.
ReplyDeleteGetting the professionals to lay the carpet is a great idea, it will be done in a flash and with no aching backs and legs for you and hubby. Sometimes it just makes sense to pay a little bit more and get things done professionally and quicker. Although it can be hard to persuade our hubbys that that is the best course of action, I had to really fight to get our place painted throughout by the decorators before we moved in instead of doing it ourselves. What would have taken us a minimum of three weeks was done in less than three days.
ReplyDeleteIt's an exciting time for all three of you ... Betty sounds like a dog with a new lease of life now. :-)
We are mirroring your current situation but our move isn't cut and dried as we haven't exchanged contracts and we daren't presume to say 'this house is ours' for a few more days yet. We are also switching from a house to a bungalow as 3 out of our 4 knees have gone amongst other aging issues so a bungalow seems to be the best way forward as neither of us fancy a flat.
ReplyDeleteI'm delighted that we won't have any more stairs but something occurred to me that saddened me just a little bit - I won't be able to go upstairs for a view over our wider surroundings any more and my views from the house are all just from my height. It's odd what gets to you isn't it?
I had a giggle at you both deciding you would be taking January off. :) Hugs. I am smiling ear to ear for all of you. Betty is so happy and you are a new woman.
ReplyDeleteIt all sounds wonderful and I'm so happy that
ReplyDeleteyou love your new home already.
I would never try to lay a carpet myself so totally sympathise. Good decision.
xx
You have got this all well planned and you had the foresight to start when you first decided to downsize even knowing it might be quite some time before you got a new place. I admire your organising skills. I expect you will be ready to go before your planned moving date at this rate.
ReplyDeleteMy husband used to lay all our flooring, from carpets, and lino, to ceramic tile and hardwood flooring. He now says it bothers his knees too much so we get people in to do so.
ReplyDeleteSounds as if Betty is already at home in the new house.
God bless.