Followers

Thursday, 10 September 2026

How not to get up

 The weather was lovely yesterday, sunny and pleasantly warm albeit definitely cooler and a bit autumnal.  In town we got the few things needed for our holiday and had a browse in the charity shops.  I found a lovely royal blue jumper, brand new with tags still attached, just £6, and a navy Cotton Traders sleeveless zip up fleece gilet, also brand new, £4.50, well pleased.  Also got another couple of books for me and 2 more DVDs for husband to take away with us.  All set now.

I had a text from the NHS yesterday afternoon, offering me a cancellation appointment for diabetic eye screening for today, it said if I didn't want the cancellation then just ignore the text and stick with my original appointment.  Well that's ok, I don't want an appointment today anyway, got other things to do.....however, I haven't yet had an appointment letter for my diabetic eye screening πŸ˜‚.  I presume it's on the way.

As we sleep in separate rooms, I rarely see husband getting out of bed, I'm nearly always up before him anyway.  Yesterday though I needed to ask him to come and get rid of a beastie in the kitchen so went to wake him up, so I actually saw the way he gets out of bed.  Well, he does it in the most awkward way, it's no wonder he takes ages to get up and has backache and, now, an umbilical hernia.  He lies flat on his back and struggles to simultaneously sit up and twist his lower body off the bed, he looks like a beached whale!  I've had back problems all my adult life and have seen physiotherapists literally dozens of times over the years, I was shown by one how to get out of bed in the safest way years ago, and have done that ever since.  Gently roll over onto your side facing the side you want to get up.  Swing your legs over the side of the bed, then use your upper arm and hand to push down on the mattress in front of your torso and gradually push yourself upright.  Sit on the edge of the bed for a few seconds to stabilise your blood pressure, then put your hands either side of you on the mattress, or on your thighs, lean forward slightly and push yourself upright.  Easy - certainly much easier than floundering about like an upturned turtle trying to get up!  So I've shown husband how to do it.....he will no doubt forget often so I'll have to keep an eye on him and keep reminding him.  Something else to watch out for πŸ˜’

K, I can't be doing with complicated crochet stuff nowadays, I stick to granny stitch, clusters or plain trebles for the most part, mindless but relaxing stuff!

Mrs LH, sorry about your pets 😞, that's the downside of having pets - they don't live as long as us 😭

None of the regular blogs appeared on my daily blog list yesterday, despite most of them publishing new posts.  What on earth is going on with Blogger?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love a bargain, and you nabbed a couple there, Sooze!
    I hope your husband remembers the "easy" way to get out of bed. His way does sound awkward! Is there anywhere you could put a grab rail to help him? Don't even know if it would help or how it could work, but there might be something to help him, so you don't have to supervise every day.
    My daughter had to have one of her cats euthanised yesterday. She phoned me, in floods of tears. Oh, these animals do wind themselves round our hearts don't they? That's the reason we don't have pets anymore. I couldn't go through that again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard isn't it HH! We've lost 3 in 8 months, all due to old age. We also lost our beloved 14mth old labrador in 2023 unexpectedly due to a sudden brain haemorrhage- he was gone in less than 2 mins. So losing 4 pets in 3yrs has taken its toll.

      Delete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.