Followers

Saturday, 5 September 2026

Probably TMI - you have been warned!

 For the past 2 nights, husband has had nocturnal diarrhoea - he's absolutely fine during the day, it's only happening at night.  Although he says he doesn't feel ill at all clearly something is going on, it's not normal to have the runs only at night, so it'll be another GP appointment on Monday.  So all three of us have had severely disturbed nights, Betty included as nowadays any change in routine seems to fill her with anxiety and makes her whiny and clingy and she can't settle for ages afterwards.  Which means I can't either.

I know it's not husband's fault, obviously there's a problem which needs investigating, especially since several times he couldn't make it to the bathroom in time, which is worrying.  Let's face it, nobody wants to be cleaning up crap off of carpets....well, at any time really, but especially not in the middle of the night when you're half asleep still and can barely get your eyes open.  

Yesterday afternoon I had my first ever cortisone injection in my shoulder, I was quite surprised that they actually gave it to me....there was some doubt as to whether they would as I have an adverse reaction to NSAID meds and the cortisone jab is apparently a type of anti-inflammatory.  A different type though according to the senior physio, which shouldn't give me the same adverse reactions - it didn't, thankfully.  However, she said I may experience some side effects, such as a rare case of anaphylactic shock (no, thank goodness) facial flushing (nope), swelling or reddening of the jab site (no), or intense pain in the jab area.....oh yes!!  After a couple of hours I had the most excruciating searing pain in my shoulder, far worse than the 'normal' everyday pain, I ended up taking cocodamol and going to bed early because of the pain.

So when all this stuff with husband woke me up before midnight, and continued for a couple of hours afterwards, I could have cried.  Now, this sounds (well, is) extremely uncharitable and I'm sure lots of you will be thinking 'what a horrible woman', but I couldn't help thinking 'why can't I have even one day when I'm the unwell person, why is it always all about him?'.  I told you I'm horrible!

Yesterday teatime, because my shoulder was so agonisingly painful, I asked husband to do the dinner - it was ridiculously easy, just battered fish and chips from the freezer with mushy peas, a child could have done it.  Well, husband kept coming into the lounge every 2 minutes asking questions - do the fish and chips go in the air fryer at the same time?  Do I need to put them on foil or greaseproof paper?  What temperature and for how long?  Does the fish need turning over?  Are the chips brown enough yet?  Shall I do the peas in the microwave or a saucepan?  Honestly, I wished I hadn't asked him, it would have been easier to do it myself.

So today it's going to be a very quiet one (hopefully) - Betty's already snoring her head off on my bed and husband is asleep in his recliner chair in front of some daytime rubbish on the TV - business as usual then.

Apparently Blogger's been having another glitch, comments aren't being published, it seems it's a widespread problem.  And there was me thinking I've obviously p*ssed off all my readers as none of them are reading or commenting anymore (well, you might think that anyway, I wouldn't blame you).


8 comments:

  1. Well, first of all, I hope you all get some rest today, seems like you all need it! Sorry your shoulder has been so painful. I hope it's eased now.
    Secondly, do make sure your husband sees the GP. My Mum had intermittent diarrhoea for ages, turned out she had bowel cancer. She had surgery, no chemo or radiotherapy due to her age and health problems. She was fine after that (well, at least, she had no further bowel problems. Can't vouch for anything else!) I don't want to scare you, but it's best to get these things checked out earlier rather than later. It does seem odd that it's just at night though.
    Thanks for letting me know about Blogger. I thought it was me! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes K, I'll ring for an appointment tomorrow. Husband's mother had bowel cancer too. xx

      Delete
  2. Diarrhoea is a nightmare! I'm T2 diabetic and I can honestly say I've had diarrhoea 75% of the time for the last 15yrs- my Metformin causes it. I just put up with it, but have to toilet map everywhere I go. If I don't take Metformin, my bowels are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, same here, I can only take 2 Metformin instead of 4 as that's all my guts can tolerate.

      Delete
    2. I don’t think you’re horrible. You just need a bit of a break. Good idea to seethe GP as it needs looking into. Hope you have a quiet and restful day today.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear me, you are n.o.t. horrible, I have similar reactions when my sleep gets interrupted and I end up cleaning during the night, thankfully not faeces though, yet! Good luck with the appointment, hopefully it'll be soon. It's never ending, isn't it.
    Hope the cortisone injection has settled and is doing what it's supposed to and the pain has eased. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope all goes well at the GPs and it's nothing serious. On a practical theme, would a commode in the bedroom be helpful? Or machine washable mats on the route to the bathroom? Regarding the questions about putting a seemingly simple meal together. I'm likely to have a knee replacement in the next 12 months or so and my dearest husband can cook a fried egg, toast and tea and that's about it. I know that I should have done something about this 40+ years ago! I'm going to be off my feet for a while so he'll be in charge of feeding us and shopping. From what I gather it's a very painful rehab so I might just get a bit short tempered with the - where is? how do I? what temperature? is this cooked? type questions that will come up even with ready meals that have instructions on the back! (then I'll need to complement the chef after!!!). You have my sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not horrible, just tired and worn out as anyone would be living with your OH's problems. Definitely get him to a Dr asap, a dear friend had intermittent diarrohea problems and she ended up with a bowel cancer diagnosis. Hopefully you will get a good night's sleep tonight. Xx

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.