I am so tired right now - not through lack of sleep, although that has been a factor this week, but more because it's been a very long and hard couple of weeks. Husband has been downright bloody hard work lately, and it's worn me out. Enough of that, I'm not going to sit here rehashing it and writing it all down.
Tomorrow I'll get all the frozen veggies and accompaniments, plus the gammon for husband, out of the freezer, ready for cooking (the gammon) and reheating (everything else) on Christmas Day. I'll make the trifle tomorrow afternoon - I've just told husband what it is and he's already turned his nose up. Well, no-one's forcing him to eat it (although I'm sure he will!), but I'm having something I like and want for a change. Dinner tomorrow night will be an easy one, homemade sausage rolls out of the freezer, with baked beans and scrambled eggs. Afterwards I'll sit in my room, put my Christmas CDs on and reminisce with my siblings on WhatsApp about our mother, with a glass of ginger wine to drink, it being the 6th anniversary of her passing.
I almost never make new year's resolutions - they hardly ever get stuck to so what's the point, is my view. But I've decided that next year I am going to take more care of myself and look after my own health. When you're a carer, inevitably your own wants and needs take a back seat, any health problems you may have get pushed to one side and largely ignored, the needs of the person you care for always take precedence. But the bottom line is that we really do need to take care of ourselves as carers - if we're not fit and able, then who looks after the caree, who does everything needed, who runs the house and the day to day life stuff?
So I'm setting a few goals and plans for myself for next year, and will endeavour to stick to them. Roll on January!
Thank you everyone for all the good wishes, much appreciated. Merry Christmas to you all xx
Good for you! It's true what they say: you can't pour from an empty vessel. I think it's also quite important, as a carer, to set decent boundaries because those we care for are often unable to properly judge for themselves what's reasonable and what's not. We have to safeguard ourselves, as well as safeguarding them.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, carers need to find nurturing for themselves, or burn out will happen. Meeting a friend for coffee or whatever nourishes you.
ReplyDeleteYou are right to prioritise yourself and your feelings, I know your husband can't help his behaviour anymore than mine can. But there comes a time where, as Jane says, you cannot pour any more. Take care, and look after yourself.
ReplyDeleteA good New Year's resolution. Taking time just for you is a good idea, even if you have to schedule it in and make a date with yourself. It's not selfish, it's self care.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a lovely Christmas, and wishing you all the best for 2026. Love and hugs. xx
Definitely self care for all carers out there in 2026. You and I and anyone else who comments here, we must remember this. Healthy 2026 Sooze and everyone. June xx
ReplyDeleteI hope you both have a lovely Christmas. All the very best for Christmas and the New Year, your new year plans sound very sensible. xx
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely Christmas. You are quite right about looking after yourself as a carer. Having worked in a Pharmacy, saw too often that the carer had been taken ill or worse, because they were so worn out and run down. Xx
ReplyDeleteEvery Blessing for a very happy Christmas Sooze and hope you have a lovely day.
ReplyDeleteHave the best day you can. Thinking of you. X
ReplyDelete