Followers

Friday 24 June 2022

Huh, no rain. And don't talk to me until I've had my coffee!

 Well, no thunderstorms yesterday, not even any rain to speak of during the night.  Thankfully, it's cooler though, although feeling a bit muggy.

Did a wash load overnight, showers are forecast on and off throughout the day.....as the load is bedding and towels and I can't really get all of them dry on the concertina airer, I've put the bedding in the tumble dryer - it's still on the economy rate until 8 am.  One of the advantages of getting up early.

Another early riser advantage is that I normally get half an hour or so to myself first thing before husband gets up......I'm not human until I've had my first coffee, and I like to wake up slowly and in peace.  This morning, as soon as I opened my bedroom door, husband appeared from his room and the first thing he said was "Do you want some beetroot out of the garden?".  I won't tell you what I said.  He's always bright and breezy (and talkative!!  As he is ALL the time....) the minute he wakes up, whereas I'm like a bear with a sore head.  Another good reason for now having separate bedrooms....

I did a quick freezer inventory, menu plan and shopping list yesterday, a small top up shop is needed this morning.  I've done a list of about 12 main meals that we both like but are easy to cook, I'm going to stick to them in future, rather than pondering what to make every day.  Some of the meals we can have as leftovers for another day - e.g. a roasted gammon and veg one day,  ham egg and chips the next, or ham with bubble & squeak if I have enough leftover veg.  Jacket potatoes will feature once or twice a week too, I'll stick to my routine of buying a bagful and baking a whole trayful at a time.  There won't be a lot of cooking at the moment anyway, we'll be having something-and-salad a lot whilst it's so warm.

The air fryer is brilliant, so quick and easy, it'll be in use a lot, certainly more so than the big oven.  Husband cooked bacon and hash browns in it yesterday, with beans done in the microwave, and fried eggs on the stove top.....he could have put the beans in the AF as well, I should have told him to do that really.  It would have made things easier for him.....he's a bit uncoordinated when it comes to cooking several things at once, he gets flustered and confused about which order to do things in.  He managed though, just about.

He brought in the first lot of new potatoes from the garden yesterday, a big colander full, so there'll be potato salad or boiled new spuds simply served with a knob of butter featuring heavily for the next week.  We now have lots of yellow courgettes too, I like them sliced and lightly fried in olive oil with parsley, salt & pepper, or even grated raw in salads.


8 comments:

  1. Oh, how I sympathise. The only ‘person’ who has ever got away with talking to me before I’ve had coffee is the darling Daisy-dog! Husband has learned better.

    Only a tiny bit of rain last night, but the garden needs every drop we can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did have some rain yesterday evening and overnight, but it hasn't cooled things down. The garden looks a little fresher though. That's a good plan, having several easy meals that you can swap about as needed. So glad the air fryer is working out for you. Sometimes these kitchen gadgets turn out to be a "use it for a week, then stuff it in the back of the cupboard" type thing. (Ask me how I know!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too need my time to fully wake up. Your meal plan is still a lot of variety within using similar and easy to prepare food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really not in a good mood in the early mornings! My husband, like yours, is the total opposite - wakes up smiling & so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having worked split shifts for many years with very early starts plus a dog-walk before going to work, I think my body is now rebelling. I often go to bed around midnight and then don't get up until 9 or 10am! Terrible, but I live alone so there's only me to please. I don't sleep right through, needing several wees during the night, then if I can't get off to sleep I carry on reading my Kindle until my eyes are closing. So , no I'm not at my best in the mornings, needing at least 2 cups of tea, followed by a strong coffee for brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That half an hour first thing in the morning with a huge mug of coffee before anyone else is around is blissful isn't it. People that talk to other people before they have had coffee should be horse-whipped. Can you tell I'm missing coffee ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be bright eyed and bushy tailed in the early mornings, even getting a few tasks round the house done before leaving for work - now we're retired I still get up around 6.30/7 but am monosyllabic until that first cup of coffee is consumed.
    I think all the cooking you do is amazing and love hearing about gadgets like the air fryer
    Alison in Wales

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get up before the husband because like you I need my quiet time and at least one cup of coffee to be at least human, and I manage to get lots of work done. I also love my air fryer and will using it tomorrow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.