I'm prepping the veggies and sides for Christmas. I know it's only the 2 of us, but I don't want to be spending all day in the kitchen, I want to be sitting down watching TV! I did a big trayful of roast potatoes yesterday, enough for 3 or 4 meals, I've portioned them up and frozen them. Today I'll be roasting carrots and parsnips sprinkled with ginger and honey, making Yorkshires and doing the sprouts. I'll halve the sprouts and cook them in a pan with a little water and butter, with the lid on so they steam. When nearly cooked I'll add in some chopped bacon and chestnuts. Then tomorrow morning before we go out for lunch I'll make the sage & onion stuffing, adding some more finely chopped chestnuts. All I'll have to do on the day then is roast the gammon joint, of which I'll probably have half a thin slice (I'll cut it myself, husband always cuts great thick slabs of meat, which I really cannot eat), and do the cabbage.....I'm not keen on pre-cooked and frozen cabbage, I prefer it fresh. The rest of the veggies, Yorkies and stuffing can then be reheated in the microwave and/or the smaller air fryer whilst the meat joint is in the ninja. I'll make the trifle Christmas Eve afternoon.
Today is the anniversary of my lovely friend's death, she died in 2020 and I couldn't go and see her during her terminal illness or go to her funeral as it was during the lockdowns. She died at home, thankfully (she had been in a hospice but wanted to be home for end of life), so was able to have her wonderful caring partner and daughter with her. Must have been so awful for those who died in hospital or a care home, not being able to have their nearest and dearest with them at the end. That was one of the most monstrous things about lockdown, I think. So that's two of my December sad things (the first would have been my beloved Auntie Sylvie's birthday on the 4th). Then there's the death anniversaries of my Mum on Christmas Eve and my Nanna on Boxing Day.
Just over a week to go till the Winter Solstice when the days start getting longer, and only 19 days till 1st January. Hasn't this year gone quick? I love New Year, old year done and dusted and lots of (hopefully) lovely new things to look forward to, including Spring which is my absolute favourite season of the year. Speaking of which, lots of the bulbs I planted are poking through the soil already, I'm so looking forward to seeing them all in flower, fills my heart with joy.
You are well organised, Sooze, and your food always sounds delicious. 😋
ReplyDeleteThere's something about winter that makes me think of loved ones who are no longer with us. Maybe it's the dying of the year, or the dark, damp days, but I always feel melancholy at this time. I'm with you, roll on Spring!
I wonder if my bulbs are popping up, too. I must have a look. Mind you, you're slightly ahead, season wise, than here. That's another thing I hate about winter, I don't go outside unless absolutely necessary! I loathe having to wrap up like Michelin man, just to go to the bin! xx
Thanks K, and it's only because I want to be lazy on Christmas day and boxing day! 😁 xx
DeleteLovely to hear you so positive and enjoying planning ahead for Christmas. My sister died just before Christmas and my Mum on New Years Eve, both many years ago but the sadness never leaves you does it Sooze. Both women made Christmas so very special despite have very little money as most people did then but oh the memories. So here’s to all the lovely women who make Christmas special…past and present. June xx
ReplyDeleteThank you June xx
Delete
ReplyDeleteYou are super organized. I am afraid I will be spending time in the kitchen on Christmas day, but I am sure I can convince Kurt and Kris to give me a helping hand. You enjoy your day Sooze and remember your Mom and Nanna with joy.
God bless.