Followers

Sunday, 7 December 2025

It'll soon be the winter solstice!

 ...And then the days will gradually start getting longer, thank goodness.

Thank you for the comments again.  Re drying washing indoors.....HH, my next door neighbour says she puts a small electric oil-filled radiator underneath her washing airer, she says it just fits, and dries the washing quite well.  I have one of those radiators which we used to use in the caravan, so I'm going to do the same, there'll be next to no chance of putting the washing out on the line this week.  Gill, it's good you managed to get your jab - I'm assuming it was the covid one? - even though hubby had to pay for it.  As I said, our local covid jab clinics have apparently been turning away people who want to pay for the jab privately, if they're not eligible for it under the new rules.  Seems daft to me, but there you go.  Jackie, you mentioned Harvey decorating his man cave himself - my hubby refuses to help, he's so Bah Humbug with anything Christmassy.  Although to be honest, I don't think I'd want him 'helping' anyway!  June, I agree, we're so lucky to have the NHS here, despite the problems.  You've clearly had some wonderful care from them.

Having said yesterday that my shoulder pain was much reduced, today it's back to being extremely painful - probably due to putting up the tree and decorating it yesterday, lots of stretching and reaching behind movements.  Ah well, at least the tree looks nice and I'm happy with it.


This year I've gone for mostly silver and blue baubles, with a few red things for accent.  Betty has shown her usual initial bit of interest in the tree, nudging the lower baubles, but then leaves it alone.  I've had to move her toy box though, it was underneath the tree table and she was in danger of rocking the table and possibly knocking the tree down when trying to get things out of her box.

Husband's just chopped up all the veg to go in the slow cooker, as my shoulder is so painful again, which is a big help - we're having chicken casserole today, I may or may not make dumplings to go in it later, I'll see how we feel!

I've decided to make a Black Forest trifle for Christmas, I really like cherries and chocolate.  Husband will no doubt turn his nose up as he claims not to like them, but I bet he still eats it!  For years I've cooked and served mainly things that he likes, but have recently started doing things I like to eat.  I've told him he can't always have things his own way, I'm entitled to have likes and dislikes too.

I'm going to write out the Christmas cards today, didn't get round to it yesterday, dressing the tree took longer than I anticipated.  Must remind husband to ring his daughter today too, he's getting more and more forgetful and doesn't get round to doing things like that unless I prod him.


6 comments:

  1. Your tree looks lovely and the red accents set it off nicely. I hope I might get the living room cleaned today and then I could start doing some Christmas things. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's far too easy to overdo things when you feel a bit better, isn't it? It's all very well saying give things time to heal properly, but stuff has to be done! Still, your tree is up and looking very festive, and writing cards shouldn't put any strain on your shoulder. I've written and posted most of my cards, just need to write the ones for family we'll be seeing, and neighbours. My tree is still in the garage, along with all the decorations. I will get the enthusiasm one day soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it was the Covid jab, its very odd that they are only doing it by age, My friend is diabetic and she didn't qualify either. I've written all my cards now and posted them. I put the tree up today and I'm pleased with how it looks. New lights too which are a ring which fits over the top of tree and then the lengths cascade down. The angel hides the ring. Tomorrow nothing will be accomplished at home as I'm on babysitting duties. My granddaughter has to go for physiotherapy appointment at the hospital and foster baby is tiny so they don't want to take him. Baby snuggles are always good. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tree looks fab! On the drying issue, I have a Dry:Soon (the smaller one) which I've had for years and I find it really good. It's relatively cheap to run and doesn't cause condensation. They're not cheap, but for me it was a good investment, and there are some decent deals online at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sooze, your tree is beautiful. Harvey still hasn't decorated his man cave as far as I know. I haven't been down there and don't plan on going into the basement until tomorrow. I will of course check then.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty tree Sooze. Like you and I think a lot of women of a certain generation it was all about what husbands liked or wanted. Once in the door cuppa ready, dinner on the go etc. Because they worked. I did everything at home including decorating, gardening, accounts, shopping (without a car) and bought up two children. I also worked part time. As I got older I started to question things. My husband worked twelve hours,four nights a week. I on the other hand never left my “place of work” No dinner cooked when I came through the door, no clothes washed and ironed for me etc. However changes started to take place and I was much happier, obviously my husband wasn’t 🤣 Aches and pains seem to play games with us, they appear one day then disappear, only to pop up again to taunt us. I have a problem with my thumb at the moment (arthritis), it sounds inconsequential but you would be amazed at how much you use your thumb! The biggest challenge is wringing out dish clothes and ironing, and obviously it’s the right hand, of course it is! Black Forest trifle sounds scrumptious, I always ordered that if it was on the menu but it seems to have gone out of fashion…shame. So I might pop in over Christmas.🤣 June xx

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.