Followers

Sunday, 28 December 2025

Lacking in self confidence

 Thank you all so much for the kind and helpful suggestions.....well, mostly helpful, other than the one who baldly and forthrightly stated "You need to get a life" - well, yes, thanks for that! 😐

I know I'm isolated, very isolated.  This is partly my own fault, but not all.  Where we lived before in the very rural tiny hamlet, everyone knew everyone and I had a couple of good friends who I saw a lot of, for coffee and chats.  Here I have no-one I'm close to - whilst I do know most residents in our little cul de sac of just 11 homes, and the nearest residents in the private houses, most are considerably older than me and very disabled or even housebound.  There are 2 women who are around my age, but I'm not really close to either of them for various reasons.  Also, if I strike up a conversation with anyone nearby, husband almost immediately appears and butts in, taking over the conversation - he's not being controlling, per say, he just can't help himself, he's always been the life and soul of the party and a big talker.  We are polar opposites - husband always the centre of attention, loud and talkative, he could talk the hind legs off a donkey, whereas I've always been the one in the background, observing more than joining in. 

Also, as I've often said before and some of you referenced in your comments, I can't drive and whilst there is a bus service (albeit not entirely reliable) nearby, not everywhere is accessible by bus.  I've been googling for carers groups, there are a few in Minehead and surrounds, I've not yet investigated all of them in depth.  One of them I don't apparently fit the criteria for, a couple of others I couldn't get to unless husband took me.....which kind of defeats the object of me having time on my own without him.  He could, of course, simply drop me off there and pick me up again later, but he'd probably moan about that.  I still have a couple more to check out though.  

I've looked at the list of activities held in our local village hall - most of them don't interest me but there is one that does - Tai Chi classes.  I've never done Tai Chi before, but it does appeal to me because of the apparently gentle movements, with no requirement for being fit as a gym bunny.  I did try yoga for 3 or 4 sessions whilst living at the last place, it didn't really suit me though as most of the movements or poses were done on the floor - whilst I can just about get down on the floor, because of my back, hip and knee problems (and now my shoulder), I have great difficulty getting up again.  I've emailed to ask for further details.  Oh and a bonus, I know husband wouldn't be remotely interested in it so it would definitely be something I could do on my own, and it's only 5 minutes walk away.

The fact of being so isolated here, despite loving living here, husband being increasingly grumpy and confrontational, and losing my friends (including my best friend of many years, that friendship ended very acrimoniously) has eroded my self confidence big time.  So, whilst I know I do need to get out more and join a few things, it's an extremely daunting, if not frightening, prospect, I'm not the most courageous of people.  And I don't want to feel bullied into doing something I'm not comfortable with.

9 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could start with an on line carers group, ease yourself in gradually. Another suggestion see if any of the older/disabled residents have carers who would be interested in a coffee/chat whilst your husband is at the gym or in the communal lounge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't normally allow anonymous comments, please give us a name?

      Delete
  2. My son used to do tai chi when he was at uni. Gentle, calming exercise. And if you don't like it, there's no reason to keep at it. No-one is going to judge you. Taking that first step is the hardest, especially when you've been "out of circulation" for a while. Good luck! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you looked at the U3A web site for Minehead? there are several groups you may fancy even if it does involve travelling there. Tai Chi is supposed to be gentle and if it's just down the road, give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tai Chi sounds great, and is more likely to attract people of the right age group πŸ˜‰. I know it can be really daunting, but take things at your own pace and you'll probably feel a bit brighter just getting out on your own each week. Good luck 🀞🏻🀞🏻

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can highly recommend Tai Chi and have been doing it for around 20 years (I'm pretty much the same age as you) and even managed to keep doing it in the years before I had my hip replacement. It is a very gentle but very effective form of exercise and is usually particularly designed for those of us who are a bit older. I hope you decide to give it a go, it could be really helpful for your joints and also should be a good activity for meeting people of a similar age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been attending weekly Tai Chi classes for 12 years and swear by it. It helps mind and body, really improves balance, and the exercise is slow and gentle, plus there is the social side. The group I go to has a lovely teacher and the group are wonderful. I thoroughly recommend it so I hope you give it a try. Sorry you have felt overwhelmed with your situation, it is good to have a plan. Good luck with everything. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tai Chi sounds really interesting Sooze from Elizabeth’s description.
    Like you I feel I have been losing confidence. I have concentrated so much on husband, housework, garden etc that somehow I have lost myself. 2026 along with self care I want to challenge myself, start getting out and about and trying new things. When my children were young I use to say to them,” try everything, if you don’t like it that’s fine but at least you have tried”, I think I need to take my own advice! Baby steps to start with. Hopefully bit by bit our confidence will improve Sooze and we will feel happier. Good luck June xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending hugs. And also admiration as you are being proactive and taking steps to make things better for yourself. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.