Followers

Tuesday, 30 December 2025

Time to get healthy

 Christmas has been packed away, I've done it over the past couple of days, I can't stand it all hanging around after the day is over.  All that's left is the bare tree, waiting to be folded up and put back in its box in the cupboard - I've just asked husband to do that, as he's lounging in his recliner armchair doing nothing again.  I've also gently prodded him again and said he really needs to get some interests and start doing things to be more active - he's just idling his life away.  His gym is closed for a fortnight so he's not even got that to do.  There are various small jobs that need doing in the garden which I've asked husband to do over the past couple of weeks - he's done none of them.  I know it's winter and is cold, but if he wraps up well there's nothing stopping him going out there and doing the odd little job, each thing would only take him 10 mins or so.  He's just got into this lazy, can't be bothered rut - he's not depressed, he just gets like this sometimes, needs prodding (which causes him to moan like hell) every so often to break the habit.

I've emailed the village hall contact and also put a post on our local FB page, asking for information re the Tai Chi classes - no replies as yet, I'm assuming people are away or not checking their emails/socials.  All I know is that the class takes place on a Wednesday morning, I doubt it will be on tomorrow, hopefully it might start up again next week.  If I've not heard anything by then, I'll have a walk to the hall on Wednesday morning and see if anyone's there.  I did go yesterday to look at the notice board outside the village hall - however, there was almost nothing on it, most notices had been taken down.

I'd just dozed off last night, still had the bedside lamp on but my book had fallen out of my hands onto the bed.  Husband then came in, woke me up and started a conversation about the taste of our latest toothpaste, followed by something about the Titanic he'd just been watching on TV.  Once again I reminded him that my time after I've gone to bed is just that, my time, for reading, relaxing and winding down enough to go to sleep, I don't want to be getting into conversations at that time of night unless he's got a problem he needs to tell me about.  I didn't raise my voice or snap at him, it was just a calm reminder, however he went into a childish strop and stomped out to his bedroom, slamming the door loudly.  Honestly, it's like living with a teenager, he's definitely regressing back to teenage years.

I'm starting on a healthy weight loss regime tomorrow (not today, we've just had the last of the homemade sausage rolls and last few chocolates for lunch!).  I must pick up my shoulder exercises again, I've got out of the habit of doing them recently and my shoulder pain isn't getting any better.  I need to be more active too, perhaps going for a walk a few times a week - by myself, husband and Betty amble along at a snail's pace....I'm certainly no power walker but I do manage to walk a bit faster than they do.

I've ordered a new mattress for my bed, it's coming next Monday, they're taking away the old mattress which I'm grateful for.  It's about time I had a new mattress, my present one must be 7 or 8 years old and has a pronounced dip where I lay.  We're going to Dunelm tomorrow, I'll get some new pillows for both of us and have a look at their homewares sale.

Thank you all once again for the kind and helpful comments, I do appreciate them.  May I please take this opportunity to remind people that anonymous comments won't be published - if you don't have a Blogger account or your computer settings won't allow you to sign in, just a first name (or nickname!) posted at the end of your comment will do just fine, I'm not asking for your full name or contact details, I'm not a stalker 😉😂.  It's just nice to know who's commenting.

Oh, and I've just applied for my bus pass, so I can get out and about more.  Been meaning to do it for weeks, just haven't got round to it until now.



5 comments:

  1. You sound a bit more upbeat today, Sooze. Perhaps it's because you're making plans for yourself and your own well-being! Whatever it is, long may it continue.
    Christmas is over in our house, too. The tree and the few decorations that I put up got packed away the other day, and my Christmas yarn bombing taken in today, washed and currently drying, ready to be stored away. I can't start the New Year with Christmas stuff around!
    I hope you get a reply regarding the Tai Chi classes. I'm sure it'll help with your aches and pains, and your mental health, if you decide to give it a go. Hopefully there will be some new friends waiting there for you, too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well done Sooze you are setting things in motion, good for you. I’m telling myself to take a leaf out of your book, stop prevaricating June.
    I hate it when there are cross words or sulks just before bedtime, I can’t sleep, I have the conversation in my head I wished I had had earlier. June xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good that you've taken these positive steps, fingers crossed it yields fruit in the new year and you start to develop a bit of a social life for yourself. Taking a stroll a few times a week is a great way of countering low mood, I find. It certainly doesn't have to be a hike, and my GP tells me that a 20 minute stroll is enough to give real health benefits 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm desperate to get our decorations down but the little one isn't back to the childminder until next week and it's impossible to do it while they're around. If I can find some energy I'll do them one evening, but thats been in short supply! Sorry that things are still difficult x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending hugs. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Wishing you a wonderful, happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.