Thank you for comments. Flis, how horrible to find a tick embedded in your tummy! Gemma's P, yes Betty's hair is short but she does have a very thick coat, and around her neck she has an extremely thick collar of fur. The tick on top of her head was quite easy to spot, the ones she's had on her neck haven't been visible at all, I've only found them by running my fingers through her fur, which I do every day just to be on the safe side. Since we put her back on the medication from the vet the other day, the ticks have disappeared and no more to be found. Thankfully.
This month we've had several unexpected expenses which have cost us a lot of money and left us short this month - well, all bills paid but nothing much left. And have you noticed how much grocery prices have gone up? Went shopping yesterday, just a small top up shop, but it cost nearly as much as a full week's shop used to cost me a few months ago. Things haven't just gone up a few pence, it's 20 or 30p or even more, doubled in some cases. E.g. the coffee I buy for myself (cappucino sachets) is nearly always on special offer at £1.50 or £2.00, now it's £2.98, full price. I wasn't going to pay that so bought a cheaper own brand, but even that was £1.30, having previously been 99p.
As we made the decision months ago to eat less meat and more vegetables or meat-free vegetarian meals, veg and fruit make up a large part of our shopping bill. Thus I'm very glad that husband's back garden allotment is so productive, we're now getting our own home grown produce to eat every day, so that will start to cut down the shopping bill. This week we've had peas, carrots, beetroot, courgettes, strawberries, blackcurrants and raspberries. Will be having our first new potatoes tomorrow. Still have cucumbers, tomatoes, French and runner beans and broad beans to come soon, followed later on in the year by leeks, purple sprouting broccoli and butternut squash, plus loads of apples, pears and blueberries. Oh, and for the first time ever we actually have some Victoria plums, the tree has never fruited before.
We've decided to get rid of the blackcurrants and raspberries after this year (neighbours have said they'll have them). It's only me who likes them really, husband doesn't, although he will eat them under sufferance. After some discussion we've decided to have an apricot tree on a dwarf rootstock for next year, possibly a nectarine or peach as well. And I'd like a lemon tree, probably in a pot.
Changing the subject, I need to have my hearing tested again, I know my hearing has deteriorated. To be honest, though, I reckon it would actually be an advantage not to have to hear some people! Or most of the news reports. I do get fed up with having to constantly tell my husband that if he's talking to me from another room, I cannot hear him - he forgets ALL the time. (Or maybe he doesn't! 😜).
I loved reading your harvest list, it's hard work but always rewarding to have a veg bed. I grow blackcurrants for hubby, I don't like the taste, but that said Will our grandson loves them as well.
ReplyDeleteI think the pandemic is causing food price rises no matter what others think. Just remember Brexit is still to come! Start getting ready for that when you can.
ReplyDeleteLucky you having all that lovely veg on the doorstep! Funnily enough, my Victoria plum has quite a lot of fruit on it for the first time since I planted it several years ago. Last year I got 2 plums, both a bit rotten! Must be the weather (or maybe plums thrive on coronavirus!) lol. At least it's cooled off a bit. I don't cope well in that heat! xx
ReplyDeleteAll your produce sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm not terribly fond of blackcurrants myself but I do love raspberries.
ReplyDeleteSadly, the plum down the allotment doesn't appear to have any fruit again. Very disappointing.
xx
Your produce list sounds brilliant. A good year for plums, damsons and apples this year - unlike 2019 when everything was very poor. Enjoy all that fresh food and yes I agree prices have gone up a lot.
ReplyDeletePrices have gone up a lot over here as well. There doesn't seem to be any shortages of anything at the moment but the prices sure make you think there must be shortages. Do you keep a running count of what you harvest from your garden? I bet if you did and then costed it out with the supermarket prices you'd be amazed at how much money you've saved, after your garden expenses.
ReplyDeletePrices have definitely risen, maybe to pay for extra staff that were hired by the supermarkets. We're harvesting from the allotment at the moment, and I've just turned the last packs of 2019's soft fruit into jam, ready to make space in the freezer for this years excess... the bushes are laden.
ReplyDelete