Followers

Friday 13 October 2023

Sleeplessness

 Do you ever get so bone-wearingly tired that you literally cannot do anything, not even cry, even though you really feel like crying, because it would just take too much effort?  Well, last night was one of those nights. 

I've suffered with insomnia my entire life - my mother took me to the doctor when I was about 7 or 8 because she was worried about me lying awake half the night, she said I didn't even sleep for very long as a baby.  I don't recall if the doctor did any tests or anything, but I do remember him saying that I had an overactive imagination and I'd grow out of it!  Well, here I am well over 50 years later, and still waiting to grow out of it.  I don't get so wound up about not sleeping like I used to years ago when I was working - having to drag myself out of bed early each morning after a wakeful night knowing I had to go to work caused me so much stress.  Nowadays, I don't go out to work, of course, and whatever I have to do each day can usually be done at my own pace or put off to another day, except for appointments obviously.

But our bodies and minds still need a decent amount of sleep, and we do suffer if we don't get sufficient and good quality sleep.  I sometimes get to the point where my brain just feels at the point of shutdown, I cannot think straight at all.  I'm also extremely irritable when I'm really tired.  A few years back my GP referred me to an online sleep clinic, there were rules and tasks to follow and a sleep diary to fill out each day.  It basically involved making me go to bed and get up at a set time every day - around 2 hours later than I normally went, and getting up an hour or 2 earlier than usual.  I was told not to doze off in an armchair in the evening, or have a nap during the day, regardless of how tired I was.  Nor could I put the alarm on snooze and have a few extra minutes in the morning - I had to get up as soon as the alarm went off.  It was supposed to reset my sleep patterns.  I also had to fill out numerous questionnaires and time sheets, every day, giving full details of what times I woke up/went back to sleep in the night (which meant I had to note it down in the middle of the night, which just made me even more awake), what I did whilst awake, how I felt, how many times I got up for a wee, what tablets I'd taken, the times I ate meals and what I'd had to drink, especially in the evenings.  I lasted on the course for about a month before giving up - frankly, the short amount of hours I was actually in bed under their regime (which was only about 5 hours to begin with) was brutal, and I just didn't have the time (or the inclination) to fill out all those forms and details every single day.

Now I just basically put up with the lack of sleep, in the knowledge that sooner or later I will have one or two fairly decent nights when I sleep through sheer exhaustion.  If I could be granted one wish by a fairy godmother, other than wishing for humankind to stop all the absolutely awful mindless brutality that's currently going on in Israel etc, then I would wish for just one night a week where I slept soundly literally all night long.  That would be absolute bliss.

I think I've tried everything imaginable to try and sleep.  Now I just accept it - it is what it is.

10 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you. Insomniac 27 years. Didn't realize 'screen' time via desktop and/or cellphone was the cause. On PC strictly here (USA, East Coast) in the mornings. Stopped cellphone and told all relations why. The first day I did that? To now? (only a week, mind you) EIGHT HOURS STRAIGHT EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT.

    Try it, dear. Been reading you along time. Nana in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have been writing about me, Sooze! I think I did sleep reasonably well as a baby/child, but nowadays... I go to bed tired, sometimes fall asleep then wake after about half an hour, othertimes (last night for example) I lie there unable to get comfortable enough to fall asleep.I just get up, make a drinks, read, crochet and/or play games on the computer until I feel really tired (usually 1 or 2am). I made myself a sleep mask, in the hope that complete darkness would help. Maybe once I'm asleep, it does help, but otherwise - nah! I used to envy my 2 cats. Curl up and asleep in seconds! Oh, well, at least we don't have to get up and go to work. Thank heavens for small mercies! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows; for so He giveth His beloved sleep. Psalm 127:2

    Praying for you to have good sleep.

    Also, Vitamin D, an extra amount, like a lot, helps me. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what your first sentence (Bible quote) means, Sandi - I'm not a Bible reader. We do take Vit D.

      Delete
  4. Funny you should mention sleeping...For years my husband has taken a medication to help slow down his brain at night, alprazolam, it usually works, but not always. For at least a year, I have noticed that I only sleep 5-6 hours a night. Not great sleep either, often I slept for 3 hours, woke up and worked on a project for two hours, then went back to bed and slept. Enter extreme tiredness. Visited a sleep doctor and he put me on a cpap machine. One week TODAY I have used it. Never thought I would be able to stand such a thing - the first night was brutal. A week in, and I realized last night that I could put myself to bed, put on the full face mask, turn on the machine, and fall sleep for 6-8 hours straight. I don't dread going to bed now. Insurance is paying for most of it. That's my story. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, we may have been twins separated at birth. I could never sleep properly as a child either and it has plagued me all my life. I know exactly what you mean about being so bone tired you cannot function.

    UNTIL, I read “Sleep” by Nick Littlehales. I won’t bore you with the details, you need to read the whole book (Try AbeBooks.co.uk, 2nd hand condition is usually superb and they currently have a copy for £2.56 inc. postage). It has completely changed my life. I no longer worry about not sleeping enough, I drop off just about when I want and wake up when I want too. And it’s OK to have an afternoon nap if your body needs one.

    Yes, I still have to get up in the night to go to the bathroom but I no longer worry if I don’t immediately get back to sleep. Cannot recommend it highly enough, changed 50+ years of insomnia for me, probably not excessive to say it has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the subject of sleep you might be interested in the way our sleep patterns have changed. It was only a few hundred years ago that people stopped having two sleeps a night when they were needed to work in industry. There's a good BBC article -look for 'The Forgotten Medieval Habit of Two Sleeps' if you're interested. Maybe trying to have just one sleep doesn't work for some. I've never found it easy to fall asleep and things are worse now with all the aches and pains associated with age and a husband who snores loudly (and falls asleep in minutes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I definitly have the "old" sleep pattern. Plus a decade of night shifts. People used to do things like bank the fire, punch down the bread dough in the short waking period. I turn on the heating

      Delete
  7. I just go with the flow too. Early to bed and early to rise works best for me - I've tried to change it and it has never worked so now I don't bother. If I need an afternoon snooze, then I have one. If I'm fighting to stay awake at eight pm, then I go to bed. Works for me anyway.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.