We got both freezers defrosted yesterday and the up to date inventory done. I found several packs of bread oddments, I'll use those to make a bread pudding for husband. Nothing else needed to be thrown out, thankfully, although there were 2 tubs of turkey and chicken stocks that I'm fairly sure are from last year, so I'll be making soup with those next week to use them up. The freezer de-icer spray certainly speeded up the defrosting, but it needed longer than the stated 10 minutes to work.....more like 20 mins, scrape out some of the softened ice, then another spray and waiting another 20 mins...several times. It all got done quicker than our normal hairdryer method though. Only one casualty - husband broke my wooden spatula - he normally breaks the plastic ones so thought using the wooden one would be better....obviously not! He does go at things like a bull in a china shop.
I got a letter from my dental practice yesterday, saying they are no longer going to provide NHS services and wanting me to sign up to a monthly private plan, for which limited places are available, apparently (rubbish, that's just to panic people into signing up for it). The closing date for signing up to this plan is (or rather, was) the 16th October - I received the letter on the 18th. It wasn't dated or postmarked so I have no idea when it was sent - but we have been having ongoing problems with postal deliveries in this area for months (not enough staff) so it's possible the letter has just been sitting around in the sorting office for days. We only really get post once or perhaps twice a week. I don't know what I'm going to do about the dentist at the moment - I expect they'd bend the rules if I rang and told them I'd only just received the letter, but I'm not sure whether I want to be coerced into paying a monthly fee after having NHS dentistry all my life. Having said that, I doubt whether I'd find it easy to sign up with a different NHS dentist - there are hardly any practices offering NHS treatment now, or accepting new patients on the NHS. Oh, and the monthly fee for this new private plan has quite a lot of treatment exclusions, so I'd still have to pay extra for some things! It's no wonder that all the dentists at my practice have very expensive cars (a top of the range, Range Rover and some bright yellow expensive looking low-slung sporty thing being 2 of them).
Odd weather yesterday - we had some really heavy showers, with periods of bright sunshine in between. I want to get washing out on the line today, so hope that's possible, nobody likes wet washing hanging around on airers indoors do they? I've done my little shopping list, so will be going to Aldi today. I'm much better at sticking to the list nowadays - unless there's a really good reduction on something we always have, then it makes sense to get it.
I feel really tired this morning - a few nights of very disturbed sleep have caught up with me. Oh, by the way Jayne - the sleep book arrived yesterday, not had chance to look at it yet.
We went private at the dentist years ago. Our lovely dentist (died of early onset Alzheimers a few years ago) was about our age, and we'd been with him since he first qualified. When we first went pay-as-you-go, the fees were comparable with the NHS fees. Now... Luckily (touch wood) our teeth seem to be (finally) in reasonable shape, but just a check up is £60!
ReplyDeleteFunny you should mention the post. We've noticed our postal service becoming very erratic, too. We always used to get our post about lunchtime, but lately it can be about 3-4pm. I'm sure they're not delivering as frequently, either. Everything seems to be falling apart!
I hope the sleep book helps - please let me know!💤 xx
We're in the East Midlands and have had very heavy rain since about 11pm last night, meant to continue through to tomorrow morning (Saturday). I still have an NHS dentist but am thinking of going private by choice. My, new to me dentist, seems to not be bothered really - no time, no thorough examination, etc. In fact the practice is no longer accepting NHS patients. One of my sons lives in Leeds and him and his wife are on a waiting list to join a practice - still waiting after 3 years! My other son goes private. My daughter, currently pregnant, has missed out on her free dental care as she can't get on a list anywhere. She was at my dentist from age 3 but they took her off the list as time had lapsed between appointments.
ReplyDeleteI can report similar disinterest from my dentist. I had a repair a few months ago. It would have been convenient to have a check up at the same time, as it was two months off a year since my last one. It was quick in and out, repair done, goodbye. I had a filling done a few months ago, that now is beginning to break up. The young lady looked like she was just out of dental school. The future looks bleak for dental treatment.
ReplyDeleteSame here Ilona, I had 2 fillings - one has since crumbled and the other ended up with the tooth being extracted as he'd pushed the filling right down on top of the nerve!!
DeleteYou've made me feel guilty Sooze, so organized with your freezers, ours are badly in need if a de frost!
ReplyDeleteAccess to a good dentist is a nightmare, our local dental practice had a change of senior partner a few years ago and it's very much been out with the old and in with the new. Rather than basic dentistry they now specialise in cosmetic dentistry, and require you to sign up to one of their monthly plans, but these only cover part of the costs.
ReplyDeleteWe have extra insurance here over and above that which our countries health agency covers. Surprise, found out that we are no longer covered for our eye exams, and some of the dental procedures are not covered as well. Seems the older we get the less this company covers. Saving grace is that we can at least use those bills to lower our income taxes to a certain extent.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
We pay about £12.70 a month each. That gives us 2 hygienist , 1 dental checkup, 10% discount on any treatment from the dentist and 2 x-rays if required. That is a number 2 out of a possible 5 tier plan, saving us each £29.60 a year.
ReplyDelete