We have 2 freezers - a tall fridge-freezer (half and half) in the kitchen, and another 6ft tall upright freezer in the utility room (well of course it's an upright....I'd need a ladder to get into a 6ft tall chest freezer, duh!!). Both freezers are around half full, and both badly in need of defrosting. So today's the day. This morning I've transferred about a 1/3 of the contents of the utility room freezer into the kitchen one, the rest will go in our big coolbox. It also gives me a chance to do a full inventory, and possibly throw out anything that's really old, got freezer burn and is potentially unusable. I've found a tub of something which husband froze some while back - instead of asking me to write the contents on it, he's just written his name and not what it is. Of course, it's now a frozen solid block of something unidentifiable, and naturally he can't remember what it is. So one day next week he's going to have a surprise dinner!
I've set him the task of the defrosting. We normally use a hairdryer and plastic ice scraper, which does take a long time - this time we've bought a big freezer defrosting spray, apparently you just spray it on, leave for 10 mins and then the softened ice will come out easily. Allegedly. Once he's defrosted, wiped it all out and washed and dried the drawers, I'll put everything back, writing the inventory as I go. I have a system for filling the drawers - the top drawer holds dog food, the 2nd one down is milk, 3rd is husband's meaty meals, 4th is my fish and veggie meals. 5th is home cooked ready meals, 6th is vegetables and potato products, the bottom drawer holds a couple of loaves of bread and some stocks. It works well, I know where everything is. If I let husband put things away, he would literally just shove them wherever there's a space, with no regard for the contents, so I would never find anything. I do have a tendency to micro-manage things I know, but I like to be organised and in control or it causes me stress!
If we have time, we'll defrost the fridge-freezer in the kitchen this afternoon. I might be doing it myself though, as husband likes to go up for a nap in the afternoons - that's fine, I'll be able to get on and do it in peace with just the radio on and no constant chatter. Husband couldn't keep quiet if he tried, bless him.
I then need to write a small shopping list for Aldi, just a few things we're running out of and some veggies. My new system for shopping is working out really well - a fortnightly shop in Sainsburys, the in-between weeks I do a small top-up shop in Aldi and go to the farmers market, if needed. I don't need to go to the farmers market this week, we still have plenty of cheese and meats for husband.
There are now 50 people with higher priority than us on the bids list for that perfect bungalow, which doesn't surprise me, I'm sure they all think it's perfect too. So sadly it's highly unlikely we'll even get a viewing. But I know we'll get a nice place sooner or later. Hopefully there'll be less people bidding for homes during the winter, they'll be preoccupied with Christmas and, besides, nobody really wants to move in winter do they? It wouldn't be my preference either, but if we managed to get somewhere nice, we would jump at the chance whatever time of year.
We only have a fridge/freezer in the kitchen, but my husband does the same as yours. Shove it in wherever! I like to organise it so I know in which drawer things are. Much easier to see what you've got and what you need. What a shame there's so many people bidding for "your" bungalow. Makes me think of Kind Hearts and Coronets. Not that I'm suggesting you start bumping people off! 🤣 xx
ReplyDeleteHaha, well no K, I doubt that would advance us! hehe xx
DeleteI hate defrosting the freezer which is why I rarely do it! I think next time I get freezer I'll get an upright again as I like your system for sorting the drawers. My chest freezer, no matter how often I reorganise it always ends up a mess!!!! :-) xxx
ReplyDeleteI am hoping for some freezing weather very soon so that I can defrost my chest freezer. I load up the food in totes and put it out on the deck in the snow.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Defrosting freezers is one of my avoidance things but it always feels so fantastic when it's done. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed for that property but I agree - it does sound unlikely, sad though that is. xx