Followers

Saturday, 7 October 2023

Days of positives and negatives

 Thanks once again for the comments, I really appreciate your support.  Ruth - yes, just that.  And my husband only (I say 'only') has cognitive impairment, it's not even dementia, so goodness only knows how relatives of people afflicted with dementia cope.  It's odd, but sometimes he has the occasional day - or few hours - when he seems completely normal.  Other days, yesterday was one, he cannot remember anything at all.....in the space of about an hour yesterday afternoon, he'd asked me about 6 times what we were having for dinner.

The covid jabs went off without a hitch, very well organised again and got in on time.  Didn't have to wait for 15 mins afterwards either.  No side effects, other than a bit of a sore arm, although husband felt tired and went to bed for a couple of hours in the afternoon, but he quite often does that anyway.

Going to the farmers market for cheeses and veg, maybe some meat, this morning.  I've got quite a few pots of homemade stock in the freezer - chicken, bacon and veg - so will start using them up for soups and stews.  I want to do a couple of trayfuls of roasted veggies to freeze in portions, and have a big bagful of gifted home grown tomatoes in the freezer that I'll use to make pasta sauce this weekend.

The farmers harvested the back field full of maize (for winter animal feed) the other day, then cut all the hedges front and back, so we have good clear far reaching views again.  I'll miss these views, and how the farmers work through the changing of the seasons, when we do finally move house.  No suitable housing on the list for the past two weeks, nearly all flats without gardens, which obviously we don't want.  I couldn't imagine living somewhere without a garden, I'd hate it.  And obviously Betty needs a garden.

My weight loss is back on track, I'm pleased to say, it's become second nature now to follow my healthy way of eating.  No breakfast (never really been much of a breakfast eater), a small light 'brunch' around 11.30 or 12 noon, then a sensible (and fairly small) dinner around 5.30 or 6 pm of fish or a homemade vegetarian thing with extra veggies on the side.  I generally have an easy peeler or nectarine for dessert.  Husband still has his 3 meals a day, bigger portions than me and usually including meat of some kind, although he finally seems to have got out of the habit of snacking between meals, thank goodness.  He was never going to lose weight if he carried on snacking - now he's lost 6lb.  Occasionally on a Saturday we might have something with chips - a pie (veggie for me, meat for husband) or a pizza e.g., but not every weekend.  I should think my diabetes nurse will be pleased when I go for my annual review next month....my diabetes is well controlled anyway, but both my weight and cholesterol should be a fair bit down on last year.  My last 2 or 3 BP readings have been normal - perfect, in the words of my GP.

6 comments:

  1. Glad the Covid jabs haven't caused you any problems. I mentioned the shingles jabs yesterday as I'd heard 65's and over could get it, but looking on the NHS website, 65 and 70+ YO can get it, but not 66-69 YO, unless they're immunocompromised. So I'll have to wait until next year. Just hope I don't get it in the meantime!
    Well done, getting back on track with the diet. Your Diabetes nurse will be delighted. I bet you've reversed your diabetes now, so just have to keep up the good work!
    It's a shame there's no suitable housing available. I'm sure one of these days, the perfect place will pop up with your name on it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, have you considered husband’s intake of fluid? It is very, very easy to become dehydrated. Even slight dehydration can contribute to brain fog, memory & concentration problems which is the last thing he needs on top of the diagnosis you already have. Pee that is any darker than pale yellow is too dark - and apparently any fluid (apart from booze) contributes to the minimum of 2L per day that is supposedly ideal.

    A lady in my sewing group has been having awful problems, ended up on anti-depressants, but once she upped her fluid intake she became a different person and is now confidently coming off the drugs. BTW, the drinks need to be spaced out during the day, not just chug down a litre a couple of times a day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he's dehydrated - he drinks tea like it's going out of fashion, numerous cups a day. He also has 2 or 3 big glasses of sugar-free blackcurrant squash each day. But thanks, interesting idea.

      Delete
  3. I know how long you've been waiting for a suitable home! That alone must be so frustrating...
    Yes, here in Texas alone, it's almost 900 miles (1448.41 km) across. Takes a long time to cross. It would be like traveling from England to the south of France, for you...and that's only 10 hours...but we do it. Usually breaking the drive up into 2 days.
    We are done taking Covid injections. We too the first two but then the boosters came along (Not FDA approved! Food & Drug Adm) We had covid in 2020 and haven't been ill with it since... I won't risk the unknown side affects.
    Hope you feel better soon and housing comes through for you, soon!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know anywhere else to ask but is DC from Frugal in Norfolk ok? I asked in her comments and she never answered.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.