Followers

Wednesday, 25 October 2023

Best decisions

 Yesterday was sunny and calm, albeit a bit cold, so we took the opportunity to go out for a walk.  We went to Watchet, a pretty little harbour town and one of our favourite places, we love walking along the pier and leaning on the wall looking out to sea.

Do you ever think that some decisions you made in life were the best things ever?  I'm sure most of us would be so glad we made certain decisions.  Moving down here to Somerset from a large Midlands town (and prior to that, a busy and noisy London suburb near to Heathrow Airport) was probably the best decision we ever made, along with buying our cheap dilapidated old caravan and doing it up to be the perfect holiday home.  We love our rural life here in Somerset and couldn't ever envisage moving back up north to a heavily built up and populated area.  Obviously as we get older rural living presents more problems, and we know we have to move for our future health needs, but hopefully it will still be a nice area with fields nearby, on the edge of a small town.

And of course, getting married to my husband was the best decision, he's always been and still is my soulmate.  At times his behaviour is very frustrating and challenging, but I remind myself it's not his fault, he didn't choose to have heart failure and cognitive impairment.  I sometimes think, when it's been an especially stressful day because of something he's done - I didn't sign up for this life.  But actually I did - our marriage vows are for better or worse, in sickness and in health.  So whatever life throws at us, I will deal with it.

I've made some good friends over the years too, it's a pity I don't see enough of my couple of best friends - time and distance constraints.

What are the best decisions you ever made?  And are there any you regret?  Obviously, there are some things I regret, but I tend to think they're in the past and nothing we can do about them - except try not to make the same mistakes again.


9 comments:

  1. Ooooh - that's set me a-thinking. I think the best thing I ever did was decide (and follow through) on being a teacher. Not only did I love it, I had a career I could return to when things crashed around me, marriage-wise, it has also provided me with a decent pension at the end.
    Choosing to stay round here instead of moving back to London or to my parents was also a great choice.
    Getting married was, with hindsight, not a great decision for me but I can't regret it because of my two lovely children and my grandson. They are the best things in my life.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met my husband when we were sixteen, like you, getting married was one of my best decisions. He was in the RN for almost 30 years so life with 3 children was not always easy when he was on board ships, especially during the Falklands War when our son was born and he was 'down south'. The joy now of our three great children and seven grandchildren.
    Enjoying cruises and holidays abroad while we were fit and healthy.
    One more recent was adopting our little rescue dog. He is still quite nervous and car sick on long journeys but since January his personality has blossomed and he is much more trusting and likes a cuddle. After a break of five years without a dog, we had forgotten the fun times and there are so many more did friendly venues now and he is so well behaved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, definitely marrying my husband. He delights, frustrates and annoys me in equal measure, but he's my best friend and the only one I want to wake up to. Having my 2 children, and being able to stay at home with them while they were little. Regrets, as the song says, I've had a few, but not enough to lose sleep over. I try not to dwell on the what might have been. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two main ones, not letting my 1st husband back into my life, and marrying my 2nd , after 39 years together and having so much fun through the years, I do understand my soulmate. Having 2 daughters was a true blessing to my life as well. I regret one relationship with a family member, sadly we are neither what the other wants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marrying my husband was the best thing I did but made his passing almost unbearable - but that is the price we pay for love. A year down the line I've had time to reflect on my life and I now try to live the best life I can so that I try and avoid making mistakes that I will live to regret.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marrying my husband (even though I swore I would never get married after seeing enough of my parents' marriage) and moving to Australia. Even though we have our ups and downs. A lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I too said I'd never get married - my parents' very volatile marriage and extremely acrimonious split put me off. But then I met my future husband!

      Delete
  7. Several decisions have lead me here, left and divorced my first husband, married my second and moving back to my home town in Wales. Happiest I've ever been, just need to build up my strength to really enjoy the sea front walks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you my best decision ever was marrying Harvey. He completes me and is my partner in every way.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.