Thank you for all the comments and suggestions about sleeplessness, it all made very interesting reading. However, I'm not sure I agree with the theories about the '2 sleeps', or about not using modern technology (mobile phones, internet, blue screen etc) to help with sleep.
Re the '2 sleeps' of the Middle Ages - I don't have just one period of wakefulness between two distinct periods of sleep.....I have several waking periods, almost every night, always have. As for not using phones or internet in the period before sleep - all I can say to that is that I've suffered with insomnia my entire life, and obviously there was no internet or mobile phones etc years ago, so it's not my use of them now that keeps me from falling asleep - I didn't have them years ago, but still didn't sleep. And my Mum made sure we had a sensible wind-down routine each evening - bath, quiet reading, small cup of warm milk with honey. Nope, still didn't work. I think that family doctor of years ago was probably right - overactive imagination. Although he clearly wasn't right about the 'growing out of it' part.
I've tried meditation apps on my phone - they're soothing yes, and I do drop off to sleep fairly quickly. But then I usually do anyway....although there are nights when it takes me ages to get off to sleep. My main problem has always been waking up several times during the night, and often being unable to get back to sleep quickly, if at all. But the meditation apps don't seem to work as well during the night for getting me back off to sleep, for whatever reason. My mind is always on the go, that's for sure, so it seems likely that's the root of the problem. I know some people say, well put the light on and write down your worries, or list of things you need to do the next day. Yep, tried that too.....as I said before, I've tried pretty much everything. After all these years, I think it's just a case now of accepting the wakefulness, not worrying about it, quietly reading or going downstairs to make myself a cup of hot milk, and knowing I will eventually, even if it's a few nights later, get a half decent night's sleep. I also know to be kind to myself and not expect to do too much (especially any computer work or banking) on the day following a very bad night.
We had our flu jabs first thing this morning.....last week following the Covid jabs, neither of us had any reaction to speak of, a mildly sore arm and that was it. Today though, nearly 3 hours after the flu jab, my arm is beginning to feel quite achy, as if I'd been punched. Hopefully it'll wear off soon, and if that's the extent of the side effects, then I don't mind at all.
Once home, we had a coffee then sat at the table and did husband's tablet sorting into his daily medication box. Not fun, but it has to be done, it saves the uncertainty of him missing out some dosages - and of him pinging the tablets all over the place, as he often did! (I'm the one who now gets them out of the packets). It always worried me when he dropped the tablets - he wasn't very good at finding them and was prone to giving up. The worry being not only that it was a med he might not then take, but because of the possibility of Betty finding them on the floor and her eating them. Now that could be very dangerous.
I made a veggie & cheese tart yesterday, using a grated butternut squash, finely sliced shallots, a whole pack of crumbled Feta, a handful of grated Emmental, lots of sage, all bound together with 3 eggs beaten with some single cream, in a shortcrust pastry base. Cut into 8 portions, we'll have 2 for lunch today and tomorrow and the other 4 slices I've frozen. For dinner tonight husband's having bbq ribs and spicy rice, I'm having scampi, we'll have salad on the side. Dinner tomorrow is roast chicken again for husband (his choice) and the usual roast and green veggies for me.
It's Great that you know to look after yourself after a poor nights sleep as that's so important. I can only suggest a hypnotist perhaps. But then of course it would be a case of finding one that actually works for you so overall it's better, as you say, to just not stress over losing sleep. I think your an amazing woman who looks after your husbands medical needs so efficiently, keeps your house running to order and cooks up delicious healthy meals for all of your family which is rather special..
ReplyDeleteThank you very much, that's really kind of you.
DeleteYes, try as I might, my mind always seems to start working in bed, especially if there's something worrying me. Like you, I now just accept that's the way it works for me, so get up and wait until I'm falling asleep in the chair. Every now and then, I do get a decent night's sleep because, like you, I'm so weary I could sleep on a washing line!
ReplyDeleteI hope your arm's OK now. We had no real after effects from our flu jabs (apart from a slightly sore arm in my case). We're going to go to a walk-in centre for our Covid jabs next week. Hopefully it'll be just sore arms again and nothing more! xx
Twins, K! xx
DeleteMy grandmother had insomnia and often woke up after having slept a couple of hours. She learned to give into it and would get up, have a glass of warm milk and tatt doilies etc. She also spent a lot of time outdoors. And if she didn't have any gardening that she needed to do, she would walk around their little town with a grabber and a bag and pick up trash. She said the fresh air combined with some type of chore, would often help her sleep longer, before still waking up in the wee hours of the morning. The lack of sleep didn't seem to slow her down much. She lived in her own home until she was 104 years old and passed away at 106. Not trying to give you advise, just letting you know that others suffer the same and what she did to try to help her be able to sleep for a longer period of time before still not getting a full nights sleep. I have started to see signs of the same with my sleep pattern. I have trouble falling to sleep, then sleep for a bit, wake up at 3 am and struggle to go back to sleep. I can deal with this but hope it doesn't worsen as time goes on. Ranee (USA)
ReplyDeleteThe nights I can't seem to go back to sleep, I do a bit of reading until I am tired again. Works for me, but might not work for you.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Sometimes, when I take a trip down the landing to the loo in the middle of the night, I turn on the electric blanket when I get back into bed and that little bit of extra warmth really helps me nod off again.
ReplyDeleteMy flu jab side effects were worse than the covid one although neither were that bad really. As for shingles - just a slight weariness and that was that.
That tart sounds absolutely delicious. Mmmmmm.
xx