Followers

Saturday, 28 October 2023

Double charged, contradictions and worry

 In Sainsburys yesterday, the checkout cashier was young, disinterested, unsmiling, yawning and clearly didn't want to be there, she didn't look at or speak to us.  Whilst I was packing things, I happened to notice that she scanned one thing twice - I pointed it out to her.  A minute or two later, she did it again with another product - not deliberately, just carelessness.  So again I had to tell her so she could void it, she didn't apologise either time, just voided the item without a word.  When we'd finished and paid, I spent a couple of minutes going through my receipt before leaving the shop, just to make sure we hadn't been double charged for any other items, fortunately we hadn't.  When I briefly worked in a supermarket, we were expressly told to be polite and friendly and engage with the customers - the girl yesterday must have missed that training talk!  And it made me wonder just how many other customers she'd inadvertently overcharged with her carelessness.

The coffee morning at the neighbour's house was good, mostly.  I say mostly because, as always, husband never stops talking, he could talk the hind legs off a donkey.  He's always been the same so I mostly stay quiet and let him do the talking.  The thing that does irritate me though is that, whenever I do talk, he will constantly butt in and finish whatever I was talking about.  And, even more irritating - and this is a fairly recent thing - he almost always contradicts me, regardless of what I was saying.  I don't think he actually means to, it's just that with his very poor memory nowadays, his recollection of events is often very different to mine.  It's like the Queen said when Harry & Meghan had come out with some claims....Recollections may vary!  But it's annoying because it makes it seem like I was lying.  I sometimes long for time alone, or at least time to spend with friends without husband dominating every conversation.

He actually did go out yesterday afternoon, so I had a lovely hour or two of total peace and quiet, getting on with the crochet blanket.  I've finished the border and made a start on a few little flowers - another couple of sessions should see it completed and ready to gift.

With regard to the housing situation....I know we'll get offered a place sooner or later - well, it's most likely to be later.  The Council themselves say the average waiting time for someone to be offered a property is around 3 years, or more, unless they are on the Homeless and Emergency list, which we're not.  It's not uncommon to have a wait of 5 years - there are very many more tenants waiting for homes than there are available properties.  My worry is that the longer we have to wait, the older we'll be - if we have to wait 5 years, husband will be 77, I'll be 68, and our health conditions aren't getting any better.  I'm just worried that I might not have the physical or mental capacity to cope with it all when the time comes - and it will be me who has to deal with everything.  It's all such a worry.

12 comments:

  1. There's no excuse for poor customer service, is there, whatever mood you're in. I ought to check my receipts more carefully although, to be fair, I do watch the items coming through pretty carefully.
    Well done with the blanket - I'm so looking forward to seeing it when it's done and gifted.
    (fingers are crossed for a faster turn around with the housing). xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re checkout staff - those in our local Tesco are mostly a friendly bunch, willing to help the less able customers where appropriate. Perhaps it is significant that they are all mostly older, 40+, and interestingly a significant number are older men as well as the 'expected' women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband takes over any conversation I'm having, it drives me mad, but now I just walk away and leave him to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum used to check her receipt against all the shopping as soon as she got home to make sure she was not overcharged.
    I think this is part of the council's problems. My hairdresser and partner are in the process of buying a house in the town where you shop. It was a rental property and the sale should have gone through in April. The family renting have refused to move out, there has been a court order to move but they are waiting to be evicted so they will be homeless and have to be rehoused. It does seem very unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's no excuse for poor customer service. I know it can be a soul destroying job sometimes, and not every customer is pleasant, but a smile and a "Good morning" wouldn't hurt! I often think I should take a calculator round with me and tot up my shopping as I go, then I'd know if I'd been overcharged. Never remember to do so, though! I must say, Tesco are very good and refund twice the difference, you just have to spot it! We always check the receipt now to make sure we get the special offers. I do hope you get a house soon. I know what you mean about moving when you're older, but I'm sure there'll be help available for the actual move, and then just take your time to settle in and arrange things. It'll be worth it when you can just pop to the local shop without having to get in the car. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor customer service really irritates me. Thankfully our supermarkets must train their staff very well as they are all lovely. Fingers crossed that your house move happens quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is no excuse for poor customer service, but you never know what someone is going through or why they act that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As in any profession, you should be kind...polite and helpful! Now, if the customer is a real jerk then all of the above goes out the window. Regardless, they need to put a smile on it. I've been ignored or as an older adult, just not "seen". When I tire of the treatment, I say something to them..."having a bad day?' That usually brings them back to reality.
    Larry used to be inconsiderate when I was talking but not now...he's been 'trained"...lolol
    Big hugs for having to wait on the housing authority! Hopefully, the wait won't take so long...but the more illegals that arrive in country, the worse it will get. We face the same problem here in the States. The American needy are being kicked to the curb while the illegals are being pampered...We can't wait for election day!!
    Hang in there, sweet friend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had hoped with your carer status, you would move up on the list as more needful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I sure hope you don't have to wait that long for a new place. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    I sometimes think that young people purposely miss certain training sessions.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's such a lovely thoughtful gesture to crochet a baby blanket for your neighbour, she will be thrilled. I do so hope you get offered a suitable house sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm the opposite and hate it when a staff member tries to engage me in conversation at a till. A number of years ago one tried to chat to me about the sanitary protection I was buying, and wouldn't take the hint that I really didn't want to know about her periods or discuss mine!

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.