Most of the time husband is quite lucid - well, to me anyway because I understand him after all these years, although he does sometimes attract puzzled looks from others who are bemused by something he's said. Occasionally though there's a day when he's not - yesterday was one of them. He was chattering away most of the day, as he always does (he's almost never quiet), but several times I had to say "What? Say that again, in a different way". Or I just looked at him and thought "what on earth is he talking about?". It was one of those days when it was almost as if he was talking a foreign language. I know he was tired, as was I, more so than usual - a reaction from our flu jabs I think - so perhaps that's why he was much more confusing than normal. Whatever the reason, it was certainly a difficult day.
It wasn't just his speech either. I was crippled with back pain yesterday, it was really bad, much worse than usual. Once the dinner was cooked, I asked husband if he'd mind serving it up, he readily agreed. 10 minutes later, I got up and went into the kitchen to see how he was getting on - all he'd done was make the gravy (just gravy granules, so simply a matter of pouring boiling water on them). He was just moving dishes around without any clear idea of what to put on the plates first, it was as if he couldn't work out what to do next. So I took over. A bit worrying, actually. He seems alright this morning though....so far - well, other than the fact that he came downstairs in just his boxers and a t-shirt (his sleeping attire) and complained that he was cold. "Well, put your dressing gown on" I told him...."Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that!". 😒
The temperature has certainly dropped quite dramatically, both overnight and during the day, we'll be putting the heating on very soon I expect, although we don't feel in need of it right now (husband's put his dressing gown on and now says he feels fine).
My fortnightly shopping, instead of going when we've run out of something, is now working out very well. I'm making sure I get enough supplies to last us at least a fortnight, so it's rare for me to run out of anything, and if it happens, I can just make do until we go again. It's definitely saving us money, which means more can go into the savings accounts.
The back is still painful, I sat down a lot yesterday as it was just too painful to move really, but today I'm going to try being on my feet and moving about as much as possible, along with some gentle stretches. It'll get better soon, it always does.
Your husband's memory/confusion must be worrying and frustrating for you. I know you're used to it, but still...
ReplyDeleteWe've had our heating on for a couple of days now. I can't stand being cold, however, I had to get up last night as I was too hot. We don't have the heating on overnight, and I'm too old for hot flushes, so what that was all about is anyone's guess!
I hope your back pain eases quickly. Chronic pain is no fun, is it? xx
Yes K, it's worrying and frustrating in equal measure - for husband as well as me. xx
DeleteWhen my memory was at its worst I couldn't work out how to put my shopping away, how to get down from the little step stool I use for reaching on top of the cupboards, how to thread a needle, amongst other things. I couldn't remember that my husband had just eaten his breakfast sitting next to me, the right words to use, my age, road names etc. I stayed in so that I didn't have to have conversations because I forgot so much. It was terrifying and bewildering, and I hope never to be that bad again. I really feel for you and you'd husband.
ReplyDeleteWhat worries me is that if he's like that now, with 'mild' cognitive impairment, what will he be like when/if it gets worse? Or if it progresses to full-on dementia?
DeleteI think I’d be asking to see the consultant again with what seems to be such a rapid deterioration in his condition. They don’t always get thing right first time.
ReplyDeleteSadly quite a few things you write about your husband going through, we witnessed with mother in law. It must be a worry for you and frustrating for your husband. I hope your back pain eases soon, does the change of seasons make it worse. Good idea to do some gentle exercise.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the others - maybe it's time to go back and consult again. That must be very hard for you, more so because you are feeling so rough too.
ReplyDeleteLots of love
xx
I agree that you need to go back and consult once again. I can just imagine how hard it is for you, and I bet it is frustration for your DH as well.
ReplyDeleteI love my biweekly shopping, you do save lots by doing so I have noticed over the last year. Wish I could go even longer, but fruit and produce just do not last more than two weeks.
God bless.