Followers

Friday, 27 October 2023

Deciding what to get rid of...

 Beautifully sunny morning yesterday so we took Betty to the nearby nature reserve, not been there for a while.  Had a lovely walk, with hardly anybody there - we generally go on one of the less popular paths anyway, the ones which have the bird hides tend to be busier.

I went through my clothes again yesterday - suddenly remembered I had a plastic lidded box under my bed containing clothes which I hadn't worn for probably a year.  I kept a couple of things, but the rest have been bagged up for the charity shop, along with some other clothes which are now too big.  I decided I'm not keeping them as I don't want to grow back into them!  I suggested husband sort through his wardrobe as well - it's stuffed with shirts and smart trousers which he never wears, except for rare weddings and funerals.  I said it would be sensible to keep a couple of shirts, but he really doesn't need 6 or 8 that he literally never wears.  Same with the smart trousers - he lives in shorts during the summer, and tracksuit trousers in winter, and nearly all of the smart trousers no longer fit him anyway, as his waistline has expanded over the past couple of years.  He hasn't started on it yet, but I'll suggest it again this afternoon.

I think when we do finally move home, we'll probably get rid of his wardrobe - it's a great big heavy antique pine one, it is very nice but will most likely be far too big when we're downsizing to a smaller property.  He's got a really nice antique pine chest of drawers, he could probably have one of my 3 smaller sets of pine drawers to add to that, plus a simple clothes rail if he wants one.  We do have a fair bit of excess furniture we'll no longer need - or fit - in a smaller place....e.g. as well as the leather sofa which turns into a very nice comfy sofa bed, which we'll be keeping, we currently have 5 armchairs of different types.  Three are in the lounge, one in the dining room and one upstairs in my bedroom - I'll be keeping that as it's a recliner and I use it a lot.  Two of the downstairs armchairs will go though.  Our dining table is a big and old drop leaf solid oak one, very cumbersome and heavy, along with heavy oak chairs.  We will get rid of those and buy a small 2-seater table - we already have 2 further more modern light wood dining chairs, currently in my craft room, which we'll keep and try to get a table to match.  Husband has a large corner pine desk, that'll go too, we'll get a smaller computer console desk, the student kind that kids have in their bedrooms.

Another thing to go will be our large upright fridge freezer - it's fairly old now, although still works perfectly.  We have another spare much newer under counter fridge in the utility room, we were given it by my brother who was having a new kitchen fitted, we'll keep that instead, along with the big upright freezer in the utility room.  When the time comes I'll advertise all this stuff on our local Marketplace page, at cheap prices so it all goes quickly.  Husband was rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of getting loadsamoney for all this stuff, but I said it'll be far better to sell it all cheaply so it gets sold rapidly.  If we charge the sort of prices he wants, we'll never sell it and I don't want to take unnecessary surplus stuff with us when we move.  It'll all be extra money anyway, and we have plenty of money in our house move savings fund, due to my careful saving and transferring extra amounts into it, such as the surprise legacy from the deceased relative I never knew I had.

We're still no nearer getting a house move - all we can do is keep putting in bids on suitable properties each week, one day we'll get lucky and it'll be our turn.  Only one property worth putting a bid on this week.....the bungalow itself is not ideal, and it doesn't have a front garden or a drive for the car, parking is on the street.  But the location is good, close to a supermarket and GP surgery.  It is a bit soul destroying putting all these bids in week after week and getting nowhere, we've been on the housing list for almost a year now.  Just got to keep doing it and keep our fingers crossed.

Going shopping early this morning, as we've been invited to a neighbour's coffee and cake morning at 11.00 am.  I really must get on with the baby blanket this afternoon, I didn't do any yesterday.  Feeling a bit flat and despondent today.

I see I'm getting a ton of spam comments again, advertising links to who knows what.  I don't know why they bother, they're never going to get published - well not on this blog anyway.



6 comments:

  1. My husband always thinks his stuff, whether it be clothes or furniture is worth a fortune even though it's not. When we sold our first boat our marina manager suggested a fair price to sell it at. Steve wanted a lot more so it took ages to sell and eventually went for the original suggested price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here regarding spam, mostly foreign with weird writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, far better to ask a reasonable price, than have stuff hanging around for ages. Anything you can’t sell, BHF will probably take.
    It’s got to be your turn for a bungalow soon! Just keep bidding and one day…. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do a clean out once a year...Clothes I tend to keep a few in each size. My weight fluctuates. This last 20# is the worst to get off.
    Have a sweet weekend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand why you're feeling a bit despondent on the property front, but you will get something that's right for you eventually. But it's hard, isn't it, because there's a limit to how much you can plan ahead with furniture, etc, without knowing what the rooms will be like and so on. Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know we will have to downsize a great deal when we move to a smaller place. Like you I think pricing the furniture a bit lower will guarantee getting rid of it all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.