Followers

Sunday, 8 October 2023

A month's worth of cheese

 The cheese and cold meats man at the farmers market was his usual cheery self, he loves banter with the customers.  I got a huge 2 1/2 kg block of mature farmhouse Cheddar for £15, plus 3 packs of wrapped cheeses from a selection, £5 for any 3, I chose Cheddar with mango & ginger, Stilton with cranberries and a large piece of Jarlsberg.  I cut the big Cheddar block into several smaller pieces, grating about half of them into 3 bags, one in the fridge and froze two.  One block for slicing went in the fridge, another 3 blocks in the freezer.  This, along with the 3 other cheeses, will keep us going for a few weeks.  I do love cheese and eat a lot of it, more so now I don't eat meat.

We also got some fruit and veg, at much cheaper prices than the supermarkets.  I have to say you do have to pick and choose carefully though (it's all laid out on trestle tables for you to pick your own) as some of it isn't the best quality.  I was more than happy with what we got, including a 5kg brown sack of locally grown potatoes for just £3.  We used to buy potatoes in 25kg sacks a few years ago, but we don't eat potatoes that often now so it's not worth buying that amount.  Fruit and veg keeps well in our unheated utility room.

We've got a few things on this coming week - husband's taking the car to the local garage for some minor problem on Tuesday (not worth taking it back to the seller garage under warranty, our local garage is nearer and husband knows them well).  It's nothing drastic or expensive, he's just a bit fussy about things.  We need to do a tip run one day, I've been doing some more sorting and have some things to get rid of.  I also need to take a load of books back to the cancer charity shop and pick up some more.  I want to do some more batch cooking and freezing....I definitely want 1 or 2 days each week where I don't have to cook and just pull something readymade out of the freezer.  I also want to do some crocheting, a few baby blankets ready for gifting, we know a few pregnant ladies.  Oh, and we've got our flu jabs at the end of the week too.  I'm pleased to say we've had next to no reaction to our covid jabs, I had a mildly sore arm when I got up yesterday, same as husband, but that was all.

I've got an upset stomach at the moment, it's been a bit of a stressful week.  Well, every week is stressful now, some more than others.  Never mind, a couple of days of very plain eating should sort it out.  Oddly enough Betty must have had a poorly tummy too in the early hours of this morning, she was sick on the landing.  I must have been well away in the land of nod, I didn't hear her....husband did and cleared it up, bless him.  She's still fast asleep (and having a woofy dream) in her cage bed right now, I'm sure she's fine.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I could eat cheese! I used to love a nice piece of Stilton or some runny Brie or Camembert. Sadly, lactose intolerance has put paid to that. Sigh! A good idea to freeze meals for those days when you can't be bothered. Glad the Covid jab hasn't affected you. I had a sore arm for a day or two with my flu jab, husband didn't even have that. Hope your (and Betty's) stomachs settle today. Light, plain food should do the trick. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh - cheese. I dearly love cheese but do limit it somewhat because I could eat my bodyweight in the lovely stuff.
    How fab to have such a stall to get it from. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cheese too. We eat a lot of it. Hope you allfeel better soon! And poor Betty! She's certainly had her share of being sick lately.
    I need to remember to get to our Farmer's Market! Sometimes I can find a good deal.
    Happy Sunday!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cheese sounds a bargain, I love cheese too.
    Would be funny if either of us bought and read each other's books from the Cancer Charity Shop in B. I took several in two weeks ago and bought another six, can't go wrong at that price.
    Hope you and Betty feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cheese sounds like a great bargain. I do love cheese and could eat it at every meal. Our farmers markets are really expensive but the food is fabulous. We often treat ourselves to nice cheese and beautiful olives.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.