It's cold, drizzly and breezy this morning, but that's alright, we don't have to go anywhere. And I think we've got off extremely lightly in comparison to other areas, mainly up North, where there are terrible floods and people have died. Must be absolutely devastating to have your home flooded, or to lose a loved one to the extreme weather.
Here at home, Mr Clumsy strikes again - husband tripped up the stairs yesterday, a fairly regular occurrence.....fortunately, he generally falls UPstairs and not down. He was wearing his open-toed leather slippers and bashed his toes and this morning one of his toes is going black - badly bruised I guess. He said he'll go to the GP on Monday if it gets any worse.
Both husband and I have, shall we say, 'problem' relatives in our extended families - I expect lots of people have. My problem relative has been fairly quiet recently, although that could change at any time. Yesterday we had a phone call out of the blue from husband's problem relative, who we haven't heard from or had any contact with for 4 or 5 years, thankfully. She rang to say she wants to come and stay with us, with her new boyfriend (she gets through numerous men) and her 2 granddaughters. Nope, not happening - my first thought was 'Why? Why now? What does she want this time?'. She's extremely abrasive, rude, foul-mouthed and sarcastic and I really struggle to get on with her. The last contact we had with her some years ago was a text from her begging us for money, as she said she'd got serious rent arrears and was threatened with eviction. After some discussion, we gave her some money - she then well and truly abused our trust by not using the money to pay off her arrears (that's if she actually had any) but instead buying some designer stuff which she then proceeded to flaunt pictures of on FB. She then quickly compounded the insult by prompting her daughter and son to both come to us with sob stories of their own and ask for yet more money - as we'd coughed up, she clearly thought we were a soft touch and an ongoing open wallet. We soon disabused them of that idea, we didn't give them any, telling them we're not cash cows. That was the last we heard from any of them.
I just think she's after something (probably money) and wants to bring her granddaughters as a way of playing on our - well, husband's - emotions, he is a bit of a softy where children are concerned. I know some of you may be thinking well she might have changed, give her a chance. So I'd like to say to you all - please don't, none of you know the family dynamics, the amount of trouble she's caused over the years and just how rude she's been to both of us, lots of times. A leopard doesn't change its spots, as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully that will be the end of it and we won't hear from her again. The older I get, the less I want unnecessary hassle and am no longer prepared to tolerate it.
The odds and ends of bread I found in the freezer made a huge bread pudding, I've cut it into 12 large slices and frozen most of them, that'll please husband for some time to come. I also used up some marmalade in it - husband wanted a jar of marmalade a few weeks back so I told him to get one whilst he was out.....he bought the cheapest value range one which is more or less just sweetened jelly with a few strands of peel in it. Surprisingly (not!) he doesn't like it on his toast! I've told him on numerous occasions that buying the cheapest of anything is not necessarily a good idea, but he's a lifelong skinflint. Well, at least it's got used rather than being chucked, and husband said he likes the orangey flavour in the bread pud.
I think all families have their share of problems, I have a daughter who is bipolar. Steve has a stepfather, two brothers and a son who are a nuisance.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are not falling for her machinations. How awful to be like that. Good for you to refuse to play along. xx
ReplyDeleteShe really expects you to accommodate 2 extra adults and 2 children out of the blue??? I hope you've made it very clear that it just isn't possible - and maybe recommend the nearest hotel/caravan site/Air B&B!
ReplyDeleteEven if she was the nicest person on the planet, to expect you to put up her, her boyfriend and 2 daughters at such short notice isn't on. They may be family, but problem relatives are best kept at (a very long) arm's length. You have enough on your plate without that!
ReplyDeleteThat bread pudding sound yummy, even with the cheap marmalade!
Hope your husband's toe is ok. If it's broken (which I hope not) they don't do anything for it anyway, just tell you to wear "proper" shoes for a few weeks. At least that was the situation when my son broke his toe several years ago. It never rains... xx
Another with problem relatives on both mine and husband's sides of the family. Ours live in the same town, and we can quite easily pass them in the street or shops and ignore them without a second thought. We wouldn't be friends with people like them/ accept behaviour like that from friends, so it matters not that we grew up in the same houses as them.
ReplyDeleteYou are right to stick to your guns. It's very true what they say - "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time"...
ReplyDeleteSounds like once she comes to stay she doesn't plan on leaving. You don't need that on top of everything else. I'd just say sorry, it's not convenient right now.
ReplyDeleteGood for you. Problem family members are a pain. There are one or two on Harvey's side. Both drive me completely bonkers and I really don't want much to do with them, we only really see them at the biyearly family reunions and I stay far away from them while there.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I am sorry that your relative is in need of help and I hope she can find it soon especially with grandkids involved. You have tried to help in the past which unfortunately wasn't respected. You are now doing what you feel is right by your own immediate family as it should be.
ReplyDeleteAs I said, you don't know the family dynamics.
Deletelol. Some people can be just annoying with the passive-aggressive virtue signaling language. Your decision is sensible. That family sounds predatory
DeleteI'm with You! A big fat NO to coming for the visit from hell...They would probably move in then it would be hard to get them out!
ReplyDeleteBless your heart!!
hugs
Donna