Followers

Thursday 7 December 2023

Do it now!

 Well, I've pulled my bra straps up and got my big girl pants on and am just getting on with things.  As is husband - as he knows I've run out of patience with him and he's got no choice but to get on.  He IS capable - to a certain extent - in fact most of our neighbours and friends don't realise there's anything wrong with him, apart from his poor memory, occasional lapses in concentration and his habit of saying inappropriate things, which they put down to his age!  I am actually staggered at the amount of junk he's collected - since I almost never went in his shed or garage I didn't know just how much of a hoarder he's become.  He's always had those tendencies and has been terribly disorganised throughout the entire time we've been together, but he's certainly got much worse over the past couple of years, no doubt due to the cognitive impairment which was only diagnosed this year.  He's the complete opposite of me.

For the few days remaining until we move next Wednesday, I will have to tell him each day what he needs to do, and make sure he does it, I can't leave it to chance anymore, there's no time left for him to float about doing the odd thing here and there and sitting down dozing in front of the TV in between.

As for getting some local firm (of any description) in to take away the remaining stuff.....there's nothing left that's worth anything, the charity guy will take away the few remaining bits he can distribute to needy folk, which I'm happy about.  Husband's stuff in the garage and shed is, quite literally, junk, only fit for the tip - bits of wood (an assortment, none of it useable, mostly not even for wood burners because of varnishes or paint), old broken tools, old half empty paint tins, stuff like that.  He did clear out quite a lot yesterday, we made 2 trips to the new place....well, he went on his own in the morning, taking tools and (useable) wood.  After lunch we both went with another car load of packed boxes, some of which I unpacked over there and brought back for refilling today.  Going back there this morning with another car load.  We really are nearly done now, certainly inside the house.  

One thing I will say to you all, a big tip - if any of you are thinking of moving some time in the not too distant future - start decluttering and sorting NOW (well, after Christmas!!).  I did lots a few months back, as you may recall - well, it still wasn't enough.  It did help, definitely, but not enough by any means.  The problem is that we've downsized from a 3-bedroom house with 7 rooms plus bathroom and understairs space, to a 2-bed bungalow with only 4 rooms + bathroom.  Granted, the rooms are a fair size, with the lounge being much the same size but without a chimney breast taking up valuable space as in the old house, bigger kitchen and my bedroom being bigger.  But there's still a lot less room in the bungalow than there is in this house, which means a lot less possessions.  If you want to move house, be ruthless and get rid of whatever you don't need, haven't used for months or years, or won't fit in a smaller place.....and do it now!  Lecture over ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

One thing we've noticed - the heating in the bungalow is far superior to this house....although I'm guessing the new extremely cheap and nasty double glazed windows the landlord had installed here have something to do with it.  It's blimmin freezing here now, despite having the heating on, whereas it's lovely and warm in the bungalow.  I'm glad we don't have to spend the winter here!

10 comments:

  1. I consider myself well and truly told! I hope a few more trips to the tip will get the shed and garage sorted, then it's just a quick clean round, shut the door and hand over the keys. Bye bye old house, hello lovely new bungalow.๐Ÿก I'm staggered at how much you've done, not just clearing and packing, but placing bids and, well - everything! You've earned that rest. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum has done this. Her loft is empty, and her garage just has the necessities in it. She's made things a bit easier for me after her death, and I'm grateful. We recently had a massive clear out to fit my daughter, her partner and their little one into our house. So far, I haven't missed anything, or had any regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we downsized, we hired storage for 2 months, the month before we moved we stored all our bits and small furniture, we moved with very little other than furniture. the following month we brought out of storage a few things every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so pleased for you and how wonderful to be celebrating Christmas in your new home. I hear your strong words on decluttering sooner rather than later and it is something we do need to attend to - although proving quite difficult at the moment since my mum has become even more needy and takes up a lot of our time. I don't often comment as Google sign in doesn't always work or want to let me leave a comment but I am always reading along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are very soon going to be in the unenviable position of emptying MIL's cottage. Its stuffed to the rafters with clutter. She's been giving things away but it's still full. I'm making a start on our own house after Christmas as I know our adult children would just send most of the stuff to a tip anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are 100% spot on there!! We are slowly working our way through the loft and well over three quarters of the stuff is my husband's and mostly things he forgot he even had... It drives me nuts, because I like to avoid clutter! Still, you're going great guns by the sounds of it, and how nice that you'll be lovely and toasty this Christmas (and maybe you'll have lower fuel bills, too ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds exactly like Dad's garage was like that John and I gad to clear. All I can say is you have my sympathy.

    The better heating sounds wonderful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh our next move should be the easiest one ever. No lofts in either of our properties, my shed holds just the basics and I've been busy selling stuff this past couple of weeks on Ziffit and Facebook Marketplace in the run up to Christmas. And as we'll both be retiring I will be able to sell all the office stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

    You are doing a brilliant job, not long until moving in day and then you'll be able to breathe easily again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, next year will be a use up stash year here. Giving away lots that I make as gifts. Not sure when we will be downsizing but that is coming up much quicker than I would like.

    You are doing very well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs. You are doing brilliantly. Just keep cracking the whip on your OH to get everything to the tip. I don't even know if I will ever move again but am downsizing too. NO more collections for this house.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.