Today is the 4th anniversary of Mum dying....this time in 2019 we were just setting out on the long drive up to the Midlands to the hospital, having been told by my sister that morning that Mum didn't have long left. We actually arrived 10 minutes after she passed away - which was fine, I'd said all along I didn't want to watch her die. As it was only 10 minutes later, she was still warm when I gave her a hug and kiss, for which I was very grateful, I'm so glad she wasn't cold and stiff. My apologies if this upsets anyone.
So today I'm going to sit and crochet (I found my crochet hooks), listen to Christmas songs and remember all the happy and funny things about Mum. Mum was a bit of a character - not afraid to give her opinion if she didn't like something (or someone!), unintentionally funny quite often - she was a bit of a Mrs Malaprop, often using the wrong word for something - not intentionally. She found humour in the stupidest of things, quite inappropriately sometimes - she'd find it funny if one of us tripped over or dropped something, e.g. - my sister is exactly the same. Mum loved TV programmes like Some Mothers do 'ave 'em - a comedy sitcom starring Michael Crawford as Frank Spencer - she'd be in stitches over it, whereas the humour in it didn't appeal to me...it just amused me watching her find it so funny.
In her younger years, Mum was quite a conventional dresser....once she retired though she kind of decided that she was going to wear whatever she liked - and she liked colour, long flowing skirts and scarves, all gaily patterned and in bright colours, she dressed like a hippy or a 60s Bohemian style. And she didn't care one jot if her clothes didn't match - she used to say "I like it so I'm wearing it!". I remember one day when all of us siblings and OHs and children were round at hers, I can't remember why exactly (probably some stupid game we were playing) but Mum had grabbed the tea cosy off the teapot and put it on her head like a hat, and wore it for quite a while, to the absolute delight of her grandchildren who all found it hilarious - probably why she did it, in retrospect.
For all her - well, silliness really - Mum was very wise, if I had a problem or needed some advice, I knew I'd always get it from Mum. I miss her a lot.
This is one of my favourite photos of Mum - taken in her garden by my sister, Mum was on the phone to me at the time.
And here she is with the tea cosy on her head:-


She sounds like an amazing lady, you've got to love anyone wears a tea cosy on their head ... it's just got to be done. :-)
ReplyDeleteIt's nice that she left you with so many happy memories and that this Christmas you are far enough into the never ending grieving process to be able to think of her with happiness.
Wishing you and hubby all the very best for Christmas and the New Year in your New home. xx
Like Sue, I'm glad you can now remember the good times with your Mum, not just the sad. Wishing you, Him and Betty the best first Christmas in your lovely new home, and the happiest of times in 2024. And the same to all your lovely readers - Happy Christmas! xx
ReplyDeleteMum's stay forever in our hearts, Merry Christmas Sue xx
ReplyDeleteI too am glad you can now remember the good times. I too wish you a very Happy First Christmas in your new home and a happy and healthy 2024.
ReplyDeleteRemembering loved ones not with us have good memories too.. but how blessed you are to have had your mother for all those years, mine died when I was 2 1/2 so never knew her, but I am ok about it.. had 4 lovely children and made sure they had everything I didn't and my grandchildren even more!
ReplyDeleteGosh, is it four years already, I remember reading your post back in 2019. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas songs, crochet and memories of your Mum.
ReplyDeleteHugs. I am glad you remember your Mum with so much love. Well done on finding the crochet hooks. I lost my father who I was close to on Boxing Day and I still miss him.
ReplyDeleteSending you lots of love and thank you for sharing those special memories. xx
ReplyDelete