Followers

Monday, 18 December 2023

Best points (and TV works, hooray)

 Good news!  The TV is finally working.  I set husband up in front of youtube on the computer, watching some 'how to' videos to do with satellite tv/freesat systems, and he found out what he needed - another part to buy, cheap enough at just £15.  He got it, set it up on the satellite dish and hey presto, it worked.  Thank goodness for that, he was doing my head in going on and on about it.  I'd like to say that we now have a working landline phone too, but sadly not.  At least I now have wifi calling enabled on my smartphone - I have no idea how that works, but apparently it does, according to both my friend and the BT engineer who called last week.  I haven't needed to make any phone calls yet, but no doubt I'll have to ring those idiots BT yet again in the next few days, if our landline still fails to work.

We've got a few things on this week - today we have to go and get a refund from Toolstation, for the towel rail that, for some obscure reason, they delivered to our old house (rather than us collecting it from the shop, as they told us we would need to do) - so it now could be anywhere.  Also to drop the registration forms into the GP surgery.  And look for a towel rail somewhere else.  Tomorrow it's the Christmas buffet thing at the community centre here, hosted by the lovely housing support officer Hannah, who we've just found out is leaving, although she's bringing along the new person to introduce to us all.  And it's an opportunity for us to get to know some of the other residents here.  Wednesday morning, first thing, I'm going shopping for our Christmas and New Year food, and lots of cheap veggies....I don't intend to go shopping again until some time in January.  And I'll be on a cost-cutting drive from January onwards, to build our savings up again.  Moving house is an expensive business.

So what are the best points about this place?  Well, for a start, the peace.....as I said yesterday, it's really very quiet here.  The shower room is wonderful - not having to climb in and out of a bath to have a shower is such a pleasure, and the water pressure here is so much greater than it was at the old house, so it's bliss to have a level, powerful and hot shower.  I'm still not keen on the much higher toilet (raised up on a plinth), but dare say I'll get used to it.  My bedroom is lovely, bigger than my previous one and with lots of built in storage space, and room for my craft desk.  Husband's room is smaller, but he has plenty of built in storage too, he's content with it.  Nice big airing cupboard, which is currently full of moving boxes which still need unpacking, but none of it is urgent (although I needed my address book for Christmas cards yesterday and realised it's packed away in one of those boxes).  I like both the front and back gardens, both low maintenance (the front lawn is mown by the Housing Association's contract gardeners) - I've discovered there are bulbs beginning to pop up in the back garden, so it'll be nice to see Spring flowers next year.  There are some nice shrubs in the borders too, and a rockery with alpine plants right in front of the kitchen window.  I can't wait to get stuck into the garden next year, I'll be putting some pots of flowers and shrubs out the front as well as the back.  And the neighbours we've met so far, especially the ones next door and the old chap directly opposite us, all seem very friendly and welcoming.  We both think we're going to be really happy living here....Betty seems to be settling down too.


12 comments:

  1. You made the right move, Sooze. It sounds perfect! Well done Him for getting the TV sorted. It's amazing what you can achieve when it's an emergency!😄 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) so pleased for you that you have nice neighbours, like the bungalow and that your husband has the tv sorted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased that your move has got some positives after all the hassles and hope your phone issues get sorted soon. We moved to a retirement village 2 years ago and every day we are so grateful that we made the move when we did before we were too old to make it. There will probably be some things that are not as positive but I hope that the positives outweigh the negatives. It is much easier to live in a downsized house. Merry Xmas and all the best for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, finally your in and it's what you imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds wonderful and I'm so glad some of the technology is now working - well done to you both for that.

    I'm glad the neighbourhood seems really lovely and I hope the new housing support officer is as nice as Hannah.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you got moved in before Christmas and the buffet tomorrow is the ideal opportunity to meet everyone. You will soon get used to the toilet, you might be glad of it as you get older. When we replaced both our toilets we got the highest we could. Now I need new knees I am so pleased we did that, not nearly so painful as lower W.C's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad things are getting settled!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all sounds really positive - what a great start for 2024! I know what you mean about economising in January, I'll need to rein things right in and I don't even have the excuse of a house move to pay for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad things are moving along and you seem happier. Your husband must be thrilled with the tv.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn’t be happier for you looking into a really good New Year. Nice job with all your planning and prep. It’s paying off. Most of all-wishing you a very Merry Christmas and blessed life ahead in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like this place is working to be just perfect for you. Enjoy the Christmas buffet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.