Followers

Thursday, 28 December 2023

Getting more settled

 We arrived at our friends' house for lunch yesterday during a howling gale - strong winds and rain, it was pretty horrible, it had cleared up by the time we left though, thankfully.  They gave us a nice cooked lunch, with southern fried mock chicken wings for me - which were surprisingly tasty, spicy and well flavoured, and I'd definitely have them again.  I appreciate them going to the trouble of getting in something veggie specially for me, although I would never expect it....if I'm asked in advance of a meal invitation I do say I'm veggie (well, pescatarian), but otherwise I'll just mostly eat what is given to me, other than steak which I really can't stomach anymore.  It was lovely to see them again, it always is, work and time constraints mean we don't see enough of them really.  They're coming to visit us one day next week, that'll be nice.

We left Betty at home, we were out for about 4 hours which is the longest time we've left her since we moved in - she was absolutely fine whilst we were out but was extremely pleased to see us return.

There are more bulbs coming up in the garden, can't wait for them to flower.  There's quite a big clump of hyacinths in front of the kitchen window, which will be lovely, they have such a gorgeous smell.  Buds are appearing on some of the shrubs and trees too, it's going to be really interesting seeing exactly what is growing in the garden.  I can't wait for Spring.

We get tons of post for the previous tenant - she apparently died, I don't know whether it was here in the bungalow or in hospital, and don't particularly want to know.  Some we've given back to the postman, who said he wasn't even aware she'd died.....he said, however, that any post addressed to her at this address he must still deliver, but we can always give it back to him.  How odd!  We've taken out a mail redirection for a year, but obviously the previous tenant couldn't do that!

Husband's going to put up some more hooks and hang some of our pictures over the next few days.  We're also going to try and unpack a couple of boxes per day - it would be nice to have the airing cupboard in use for its proper purpose, rather than a storage cupboard for boxes!

14 comments:

  1. You're quickly settling in. I keep seeing bulbs popping up and I've even got a bud on one of my roses. Whether it will survive is another matter! I need to check the fence panels after that storm last night. There are 3 at the end of the garden that are on their last legs, and I'm not sure they'll have weathered the storm. Other than writing on the post "No longer at this address" and re-posting it, I don't know what else you could do. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your fence panels survived, K. There are more bulbs in the garden every time I look! xx

      Delete
  2. Happy you're settling in...Sad about the previous tenant. I don't think I'd want to know, either.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased for you. I honestly thought you would be waiting on that list for ages. I know here in Brighton it is years before you can move.
    I would love a little bungalow instead of this house but i don't think it will happen. I do have 2 stair lifts so am able to get out but a bungalow would be wonderful.. you never know, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I Briony, you could have knocked me down with a feather when we were offered this place after just one year. xx

      Delete
  4. Nothing better than having the last box sorted, wishing you a happy new year in your new homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, same to you. We're nowhere near the last box yet though....I'm determined to unpack them all soon though!

      Delete
  5. Sounds as though all is really good, we're still sorting stuff after moving here 2 1/2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we all have too much 'stuff' nowadays!

      Delete
  6. So pleased you had a lovely time with your friends, despite the awful weather; let's hope it's better next week when they visit you, so you can show them round. Lovely to read that Betty has settled so well and was fine about being left 'Home Alone'! I always used to say the same phrase to my Zac, "Going shopping" and he would give a big sigh and settle down on his bed as if he was there for the duration. Dogs have such expressive faces . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed....when I tell Betty we're going out, she gets straight in her bed too, and looks up at me with an expression designed to fill me with guilt...

      Delete
  7. Just write "return to sender" on the face of the envelope with a line through the address and drop in a post box.

    Or, hand it to the association worker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've been doing already, or handing them back to the postie. I was simply voicing my frustration at the excessive amount of post we get for her.

      Delete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.