I made a root veg stew in the slow cooker yesterday, with pearl barley to thicken it and make it hearty. I also made cheesy herb dumplings.....well, too much cheese in them I think (if there is such a thing as too much cheese!) which made them almost dissolve into the stew, thickening it even further. It tasted nice but was decidedly stodgy, and was the catalyst to me thinking I need and want to get back to healthy eating. I am now craving fresh fruit, green veggies, salads, homemade tzatziki with veggie sticks, fresh fish, so will be going shopping to stock up on all this. I do have plenty of fresh salmon and some smoked haddock in the freezer, so it's mainly the fruit & veg I need to get.
We've been having breakfasts most days, crumpets or something on toast, and I'm stopping that too. Well, husband always has breakfast but I don't normally so will cut it out again, having just 2 meals a day suits me better, I'll go back to having 2 cups of coffee and no food.
I've also decided I'll be going out for a walk several times a week....I won't say every day because I really don't like walking in the rain, so it is weather dependent. I'll be going on my own - it'll give me a little break by myself, and I'd like to walk fairly briskly (well, as briskly as my hips will allow), which husband can't really do, he gets too breathless. Happy Hooker said I'll soon be sprinting up the hill - oh that did make me laugh! Sprinting is definitely out, especially uphill 😂😂
Besides, I've got a wedding to go to in March - my niece - so would like to lose a bit of weight for that. I have a really nice pair of smart black trousers I'd like to wear (I don't do dresses!) - I tried them on yesterday, knowing they wouldn't fit (I could barely get them past my hips) so that's another incentive. I've seen a couple of really lovely blouses half price in the EWM sale online, so will probably order both of those. My niece (my sister's girl) is very unconventional - she's going to be wearing Converse trainers under her long grey very non-wedding dress - and has said guests can wear whatever they like, and if we choose to also wear trainers that's fine by her! I doubt I'll be wearing trainers though.
I'm with you on craving salads. I want to remove the stodge from my diet and the blubber from my hips. A walk as often as you feel like it will be a good start.
ReplyDeleteMy stomach is where the blubber is, my hips actually aren't too bad! And I could do with losing a chin or 2!
DeleteI'm glad I made you laugh. The thought of sprinting makes me come out in a cold sweat, too! It's far too easy to eat stodgy foods when the weather is cold, but we're sticking (mainly) to salads as we both feel better for it. You'll soon lose those extra pounds, and be slim and sylph-like for the wedding. xx
ReplyDeleteSlim and sylph-like - you've done it again hahahaha xx
DeleteI did have a laugh at HH's comment ... if you ever see me sprinting join in quick something awful and scary must be chasing me!
ReplyDeleteYes, I feel stodged out at the moment as well, far too many crackers, crisps and garlic bread in my case, which then leads to too much wine. It's been a naughty, naughty Christmas.
I'm starting today to get this twenty pounds (about 9 kilograms? ) off! I just eat breakfast and lunch with no food after 12pm. Maybe a meatstick or something locarb and water with lemon. And I start trying to get my steps back up beyond 5000...daily.
ReplyDeleteWishing you luck!
Happy New Year
hugs
Donna