Followers

Saturday, 11 July 2026

A bit cooler thank goodness, and a surprise

 Thankfully it's a couple of degrees cooler today - still too hot though, especially for Betty and I.  She's been moping around, moving from place to place indoors to find a cooler spot, for the past few days.  We have the fans going, windows and door open, curtains closed, we renew her cold water every couple of hours, we put her cold mat in the fridge a couple of times a day.  She sleeps a lot.  She had a sudden burst of energy this morning, woofing and throwing her toys around, it only lasted a couple of minutes though.  Bless her, it must be awful wearing a thick fur coat.  She's now asleep on my bed.

When husband has done something he knows is out of order or has upset me, he broods about it for a few days.  He doesn't apologise, that's not his way, he almost never says sorry for anything.  What he does do though is try to make amends by buying me something or offering to take me out somewhere, for a meal usually - although he only ever suggests Wetherspoons or Brewers Fayre, neither of which I like very much.  I'd rather go to a tea room, or a smart cafe with a nice view....after 45 years together you'd think he would know that 😂😒.  I know it's a gesture on his part to show he's sorry, but there's really no need to go to those lengths - I'd rather he just apologised, I have told him that in the past.

Anyhow, he's clearly been thinking about me telling him the other day that his so-called joke at the opticians could have had serious consequences, and has realised he was silly to say it - not only was it a stupid thing to say, it was also very hurtful as it's simply not true.  So this morning he's offered to buy me a new recliner chair for my bedroom!  The one I have was bought secondhand, I'm not too keen on the colour or style (it's a bit old-fashioned for my taste), it's a manual recliner and the mechanism is extremely stiff, I find it very difficult to push it into the reclining position.  Husband showed me a picture of one on the internet - amazingly (because we have very different tastes) it's just lovely and is exactly what I would choose for myself - we did actually see the same one in a furniture shop a couple of years ago and husband, somewhat surprisingly given his memory problems, has clearly remembered me saying I really liked it.  So I've accepted with grateful thanks.

We're not going to the big boot sale this afternoon, even though it's a bit cooler it's still too hot, not going to the village fete this morning either, for the same reason.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's a nice gesture from your husband. I'm thinking of changing our settee and chairs too, to make them more suitable for our aged bodies, but there is so much choice I'm not sure which way to go and dreading the upheaval too. I'd be really interested in seeing a picture of your new recliner and get a 'consumer test' in due course. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he does think about you, and remembering the recliner chair you admired is lovely. It would be nice if he didn't need to apologise or make a gesture, but hey ho!
    We bought 3 little Japanese acers yesterday as a combined birthday (mine) and anniversary present. I've just been potting them up. Only took me about 10 minutes, and I'm sweating! Time to stay in the comparative cool of the house. xx

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.