Followers

Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Brainwave!

 It's back to being hot and sticky again, I really don't like it, it's the humidity that gets to me, it drains me and I feel like a soggy mess.

Nevertheless it's been a productive day, I've now got several bags of French beans, sliced roasted courgettes and courgette fritters in the freezer, along with a couple of tubs of tomato based pasta sauce.  Husband said he'd picked all the mini cucumbers.....well I spotted a large one he'd missed and when I had a proper look, found several more that were like torpedoes.  How he misses them I don't know, especially when they're so big - well, I do know, if something isn't right in front of his nose he just can't see it, it seems beyond him to move leaves out of the way!  The big fat ones have tough skins and are crammed full of seeds, no good for eating.  We've had a brainwave, don't know why we didn't think of it before - the local small family run zoo, Tropiquaria, will happily accept donations of fruit and veg for their animals, so that's what we'll do with our excess produce now.  At Christmas when the supermarkets are doing their very cheap veg wars, we generally buy a couple of bagfuls of them to take to the zoo.  So the problem is now solved.

I've also finished the second front of the cardigan and started on the first sleeve, if I try and do half a dozen rows every day it shouldn't take me long to finish both sleeves.  I'll crochet all the parts together, then do the cuffs and edgings in a contrasting colour - the main body is navy, with white for the edges and cuffs.

Tomorrow we're going to Aldi for our monthly top up shop of the things I like to get there, like my barista oat milk which is cheaper there than our local supermarkets, I buy at least a month's worth at a time (it's long life milk).  We also want to go to Home Bargains, there isn't one here in Minehead, and I'll pop into the big charity shop to get some more books.  As I've said before, their books are 2 for £1, far cheaper than our local charity shops in Minehead - they generally charge £1.50 or £2 each for books.

3 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea. I'm sure the zoo (and the animals) will appreciate the veg, and you know it won't go to waste. Win, win!
    You've made good progress with the cardigan, I just hope you won't need to wear it for a good few months, although a little more temperate weather would be welcome.
    I'm lucky here as there are a few places that do a book swap, and I'm able to pick up a book or two from them. Otherwise, like you, I tend to go to the charity shops where paperbacks are 25p or 50p each. Some try to charge way too much in my opinion, but then, I'm a real cheapskate! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. The zoo will really appreciate the fresh food.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have visited the Tropiquaria in the past when we have had little grandchildren staying and taken excess veg from our allotment, which we gave up in November (yeh). Good idea as you are fairly close.
    Sounds like your cardigan is coming on well.
    In one of our local villages there is an old phone box which has a book swap, it's great, but not so good when I read one thats part of a series and I really fancy reading more.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.