We both need new glasses, following our eye tests yesterday. Husband's 2 pairs only cost £30! He's lucky in that virtually any kind of frames suit his face.....also he doesn't really care what they look like so it doesn't matter to him. I'm definitely more fussy, some frames just don't suit my face shape, I'm not very keen on metal frames, the colour of the frames matters to me as well as frame shape and size - I'm of the view that I have to like my glasses, or I simply won't wear them. So mine were £220 - but that's for 4 pairs (buy one get one free), 2 each of distance and close vision - I don't get on at all with bi- or varifocals. So I actually think the price is quite reasonable.
When we came out of there, husband accused me of having zero sense of humour anymore - he's said that a few times now. I guess the reason I rarely laugh at his 'jokes' anymore is partly because I've heard them all before, a thousand times, and after the 950th time the novelty wears off. But nowadays quite often his so-called humour is anything but, frequently it's downright inappropriate or just plain silly. An example - I went in for my eye test first, on my own......I stayed in the room for husband's tests though, as he sometimes needs help with answering questions.....e.g. the optician asked him how long he's had diabetic background retinopathy, husband said airily "oh years and years". Erm no, he was first told about it just 2 years ago. He also couldn't remember the name of the newest medication he's been prescribed, nor what it was for. Anyway, husband has a couple of small fingertip sized bruises on his forearm, they look something like blood blisters under his skin, the optician commented on them. Straight away husband replied, gesturing to me, "She did that, she's always hitting me!". The optician immediately turned to me, with a querying look on his face....."He's kidding, they're caused by his heart meds" I said. "Ah ok, that's more likely!" he replied with a smile. I just glared at husband. Sometimes I wish his mouth came with a zip.
He's gone on the free shoppers bus to Bridgwater again today, his choice. Once again I get to enjoy the peace....on the subject of which, it's really noticeable just how peaceful it is around here again, now that the builders are no longer here. We've not seen neighbour Mr X for a couple of days, so no idea whether he's looking around for more builders. It would be a shame if the old barn, which is now in a partly demolished and sorry looking state, is just left to go to rack and ruin, it was actually a fine looking old building before they started mucking about with it.
Nothing planned for the next few days, just keeping out of the sun, windows wide open and curtains closed on the sunny sides, plenty of cold drinks, the fans going and salads for dinner. Betty mostly sleeps in the hot weather - on my bed or on her cool mat in the lounge, only briefly going in the garden for a wee. She gets a brief walk early in the morning and again mid evening....at her age she's not really a fan of long walks now anyway.
Oh, no, Sooze! Remarks like that could cause all sorts of problems. Definitely not funny! It's a good thing the optician realised it was meant as a joke. Don't want social services or the police knocking on the door!
ReplyDeleteI wonder what will become of the barn. I bet Mr X is regretting his decision to do it up! Enjoy the peace and hopefully, if he does get new builders to finish it, they won't be able to do it for a few months! 😉 xx
Exactly, K. Sometimes I just despair with him, he's oblivious. xx
DeleteMy husband does exactly the same Sooze to the point where Social Services could become involved if someone took him seriously. Totally inappropriate. I think it’s an old man’s disease, they haven’t moved on with the times as to what is now appropriate. Just another thing to stress about. The gift that keeps on giving! Glad you are getting some peace in your garden Sooze. June
ReplyDelete