Followers

Tuesday 11 June 2019

My first sleep task

I've had the assessment of my first week's sleep diary, along with the task set for the first proper week of the sleep retraining course.  The assessment was quite interesting, there were one or two things that I didn't agree with, but I guess it's thought-provoking to see things about yourself from someone else's point of view.  The report reckons I'm stressed (really?!?!), anxious and somewhat depressed.  I wouldn't say I'm depressed at all right now...I have been in the recent past, but not now.

The task for the coming week is a bit of an eyebrow raiser.  They ask you to try your best to follow the task through for a complete 7 days, even if you find it hard.  They say I'm spending too much time in bed for the amount of sleep I'm getting, so I need to retrain my body to actually sleep in bed, rather than lying there not sleeping.  To do this, I have to have a period of sleep restriction - quite literally, restricting the amount of sleep I get each night.  My normal night routine is to go to bed around 10.30 (sometimes earlier, if I'm totally shattered) and get up between 04.00 and 05.00, having several periods of wakefulness during the night, sometimes going downstairs.   The clinic wants me to go to bed at 12 midnight and get up at 05.00 for 7 nights/days in a row.  The idea is that by the time I go to bed, I will be so tired that I should get off to sleep very quickly (I usually do anyway, it's staying asleep that's my problem) and stay asleep for longer during the night.  So just 5 hours of sleep - well, in bed - each night for this first week.....which sounds quite scary, but as my sleep diary has shown I only normally get around 4 hours sleep a night anyway, it's not really that bad.

I also have to turn the clock to face the wall and put my phone in the bedside cabinet, so I can't keep checking the time (which is a habit of mine).  I'm also not to get out of bed during the night, if I can help it.  I'm supposed to set an alarm for 5 am to get me up in the morning....I wouldn't think I need to, but the clinic say that the later bedtimes during sleep restriction training may mean that I am actually still asleep at 5, but I must get up at that time even if I'm still tired.  We'll see!  Should be an interesting week.  

I started last night....by midnight, I was really ready to go to sleep, very nearly nodding off in the armchair (not allowed, naps before bedtime are a definite NoNo on this plan).  Think I must have gone off to sleep pretty much immediately.  I did wake up 2 or 3 times during the night, but again went back to sleep with little trouble.  And finally woke up just before 5 - luckily, as I forgot to set the alarm.

I'm still knackered though, but then I have a lot of sleep to catch up on!

In other news, Mum and sis have been told that Mum is ready for discharge home - as soon as the care plan has been put in place for her.  Apparently, it's all been ordered on paper, so it's just a question of when.  Mum is so ready to go home, she's totally fed up with hospital now, she's been in for 2 1/2 weeks, that's the longest time she's been in hospital.

It's a blooming awful morning, chucking it down and really blustery.  We don't have anywhere to go today, thankfully (other than dog walking, which will be short), but I don't envy anyone who has to work outside today.

6 comments:

  1. It does have some sense to it, doesn't it, focusing on quality rather than quantity but I'd find it well nigh impossible to stay awake until midnight so well done, you!
    Good news about your mum - I hopew the care plan is sorted quickly and works well for her.
    It's a bit better here this morning. Still dull and damp but not actually raining and no wind. Not nice, but better.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am especially interested in hearing about the assessment of your sleep diary and the suggestions that have been made. Like you I usually easily fall asleep on going to bed but the remainder of the night is another story. I do not think I could stay awake until midnight. I do wish you all the best and please know that like me their are many of us following how you get on and wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this routine makes sense Sooze. We try not to go to bed before midnight now and find that we both sleep better for it. Sometimes its hard but if you find something to do you can make it.
    My daughter is always complaining that she cannot sleep but she goes to bed too early in my opinion.
    A few good hours sleep is better than tossing and turning, lets hope this works for you.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope that you manage to do the week and that your quality of sleep is much improved. Is every task a week long?

    Your poor Mum, that is a long time to be aways from home; I hope that she manages to get back there very soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am interested in your sleep study , so keep up with all the details you are comfortable sharing , it just might help someone else as well. Thanks.
    Good thoughts for your mom and sis. Hope all goes smoothly for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weather better here today. It was heavy rain and cold yesterday. Your sleep task sounds interesting. Hope your mum gets home soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.