A very busy day again yesterday, with renewed enthusiasm after having the weekend off and rethinking some plans. Oh and the good night's sleep helped too.
We took the carload of stuff to the charity shop as soon as they opened at 9.30 am. It's a Cancer UK shop and as both my sister and mum had kidney cancer, husband's mother had both breast and bowel cancer (although she died from heart failure) and his father died of lung cancer, it's a charity we're more than happy to support. I firmly believe that, hopefully in our lifetime, there will be a cure for cancers, I think they're already on the way with one or two types.
Husband cleared out the small filing cabinet.....finding paperwork from more than 10 years ago! Plus several ancient broken mobile phones, none of which would be worth anything, we've never had iPhones or Samsung Galaxys or any of the other expensive makes. In the event, he couldn't go out and burn any paperwork - although it was sunny nearly all day, it was bitterly cold and still very windy. Never mind, it'll be done sooner or later. We've now got another dustbin bag full of stuff for the tip. Our wheelie bin is now almost full, it's a pity it only gets emptied every 3 weeks (thankfully this Friday is bin day). And the dustmen won't take extra bin bags, only what will fit in the wheelie bin itself. The tip, charity shop and supermarkets are all roughly in the same area, so it's no hardship to take unwanted stuff and do shopping on the same day - saves time and fuel. The recycling boxes/bag are taken weekly, so I've been putting appropriate stuff in those for the binmen to take, which is a help (thanks to whoever suggested that, I think it was Sue).
I sorted out a few more books and a load of veggie seed packets - most of them were opened and even some 4 or 5 (or more!) years old so they wouldn't be viable anymore. And in any case, we're not growing any veggies this year. Husband found some old photos which we reminisced and had a giggle over, and a thank you card my mum sent us after she'd got home from her very first visit to us here in this house, 10 years ago. Surprisingly, it didn't make me cry, just smile - it was a long chatty message and Mum always wrote just as if she were sitting in front of us chatting, so it was almost like hearing and seeing her again - lovely. I've kept it, of course.
I made some dog food and chopped a load of parsnips that were going a bit bendy, to make soup with for lunch today, I also made some mini light fruitcakes (in a muffin tin), to use up half a jar of mincemeat.
Husband went to the surgery to get the GP letter - he was told it was dictated but hadn't yet been typed up as it turns out our GP is on holiday this week, so the secretary was planning on leaving it until he gets back next week. However, she said that as we wanted it urgently, she'll get it typed up and signed by one of the other GPs, and then she'll email it to us, today or tomorrow. Fine by me.
Bit by bit, we're getting things done, which is so satisfying.
You're doing brilliantly and must be enjoying the spaces you are slowly creating. Fingers crossed the letter comes quickly. xx
ReplyDeleteThank you Joy. At the moment it seems like as fast as we clear things off the table, more stuff appears (it's always husband who puts stuff on there for me to sort out, as he's incapable of making a decision about throwing stuff out!). xx
DeleteI can't believe how much you've done. You've certainly got the bit between your teeth now! Everything is slotting into place beautifully. Give yourself a pat on the back! xx
ReplyDeleteAww bless, thanks K. I've surprised myself actually! xx
DeleteWe get on well with our neighbour and if either her or us have more rubbish then will fit in the bin, we top the other's bin up the night before collection day. Could you ask a neighbour if you could pop a bag in their bin if theirs is not full. We are still at collect every two weeks.
ReplyDeleteHa Marlene, our bin is never normally full and our neighbours, a family, have always put their excess rubbish (with our permission) in our bin!
DeleteYour plan is working. How long have you lived there? We moved so much. March 2021…this was my 31st move. I have never had clutter, so I would not know how to deal with it. Use it or lose it…lol…my motto. So glad you are involved in this project. It will not be long until your summer home is open…I so enjoy your blog…one of the few I read.
ReplyDeleteWe've lived here over 10 years Brenda, and I can't quite believe how much stuff we've collected! Never again!
DeleteI am so so excited for you. I downsized and love it. I moved here because of little grandson. Son bought this condo…..4 miles from them. When I am in an upstairs bedroom there, I can see this complex. You know that I read few blogs anymore. Yours is one of my favorites. I have no idea where you are in England. My grand was at Bristol U when Covid hit. I spent time in London and Stratford upon Avon and Oxford, etc. in 2006 and 2008 as a Shakespeare scholar…paid for…I am elderly and on fixed income, so no more trips abroad…health also. Keep me updated. I can not wait for you to get to a place where you can walk about. You probably do not remember, but you are the blogger who explain Ed some of the words U K bloggers use. Thank you
DeleteYes I do vaguely remember that, Brenda
DeleteIt sounds as though you have everything nicely under control. Maybe taking every weekend off from the sorting and decluttering would be a good idea, or at least just do an hour or so and then rest until Monday each week.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think that's what we'll do Sue, otherwise we'll get bored or fed up.
DeleteWhat a lovely day of memories you had, as well as a great day decluttering. That weekend rest seems to have given you an impetus to continue with the decluttering.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.