Followers

Thursday, 5 January 2023

Spending money wisely, and post-viral

 We managed to spend all of the Christmas voucher money in the garden centre yesterday, and I'm very happy with our purchases.  The big garden centre sells all manner of kitchen and homewares, clothes and footwear, food and drinks, along with all the garden stuff and houseplants.  They have lots of Christmas stuff, which was all half price, not that I looked at any.  Nor did I give more than a cursory glance at the clothes - I don't need any.  However, I got some high quality (20 yr guarantee) oven baking trays which were in the sale, so I can throw out several of the old battered ones I've had for years.  Husband spotted some reductions in the cheese cabinet in the food section - packs of XX mature proper Somerset cave-aged Cheddar, very similar to Parmesan.  They were two-thirds off the original price as they were short-dated - no matter, it'll freeze well.  I got five packs (there were lots) - we, me especially, are very fond of cheese and that will keep us going for a few weeks....along with all the other cheeses left from Christmas.

Stopped off at Aldi on the way home and stocked up with loads of fresh veg and salad - I decided against fruit as we have a boxful of homegrown apples still, some of which I'll be processing today to go with breakfast yogurt.

We had a homemade potato, cheese and caramelised onion pastry topped pie out of the freezer for dinner yesterday, along with lots of green veg.  Today it's a chicken and potato, lemon and herb traybake, with something green alongside.  For lunches for the next few days we're having a bed of salad, topped with tinned fish, cheese or hardboiled eggs.  It's not really salad weather I know, and obviously the salad stuff available right now isn't British grown, but I think we need it at the moment.

Joy mentioned on her blog Diary of a Retired Teacher yesterday that she felt a bit 'post-viral'.  I know exactly what you mean Joy - whilst I feel heaps better, and even the cough is going, there are days when I'm suddenly overwhelmed with tiredness and just have to stop whatever I'm doing and go upstairs for a nap - yesterday afternoon was like that.  And it does come on suddenly, it's like all the energy just gets sucked out of me all at once.

Washing, housework and meal planning today, just mundane stuff.  I had a few texts from our lovely caravan neighbour Jean yesterday, she said now that Christmas is over, the height of their excitement is doing a 2000 piece jigsaw puzzle, she reckoned it would take them till Easter to do.  She does make me laugh - and smile, she said they really miss us and can't wait for the start of the caravan season in March.  How nice, we miss them too.  It's a pity they live so far away from us.  55 days till the start of caravan season!

4 comments:

  1. The time will soon pass until C-day, and I don't mean Christmas! It's horrible when you suddenly get that totally knackered feeling. One minute you can be fine, the next you feel you could sleep on a washing line. Only thing to do is go with it, you can't fight it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling well, I was watching television at Alan's last night and suddenly at just 8.45pm I felt drained. I was tucked up in bed by nine and asleep almost immediately.
    It might not be the season for salad just now, but isn't it lovely to be able to have a lovely crisp salad for a change after all the Christmas food. I have half an iceberg lettuce left and I think that will form the basis of my lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm eating tons of salad at the moment. Mostly fresh from the garden but all grown by myself.That post viral feeling is exhausting and you have my utmost sympathy. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. The days will pass swiftly and you will be in the caravan again very soon. You got some great shopping deals.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.